Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Slott was the one who came up with the Queenpin status quo, but the fact that Marvel promoted her as much as they did in that role tells me that, to some degree, they supported it for whatever reason.
    Because the writer of ASM wanted to do it. And Slott's ASM was one of their best selling titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Because the writer of ASM wanted to do it. And Slott's ASM was one of their best selling titles.
    I think it went beyond that, especially since Felicia just got dropped off from ASM pretty quickly after volume 3.

I think it went beyond that, especially since Felicia just got dropped off from ASM pretty quickly after volume 3.
    Occam's razor. The simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Occam's razor. The simplest explanation is usually the correct one.
    I think the simplest explanation is Marvel just wanted a female crime boss they could promote and Slott handed them one.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

I think Slott was the one who came up with the Queenpin status quo, but the fact that Marvel promoted her as much as they did in that role tells me that, to some degree, they supported it for whatever reason.
    Marvel also allowed writers to start to deconstruct it the moment that they were interested in doing so, with Bendis and Bunn alike.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Endsong View Post
    Marvel also allowed writers to start to deconstruct it the moment that they were interested in doing so, with Bendis and Bunn alike.
    When did Bunn do any deconstruction of the Queenpin status quo? Are you thinking of Robbie Thompson?

Bendis only really added any kind of depth to Felicia in Defenders, after he pretty much used her as a stock Queenpin in Spider-Man, and even that was just kind of...there.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

When did Bunn do any deconstruction of the Queenpin status quo? Are you thinking of Robbie Thompson?

Bendis only really added any kind of depth to Felicia in Defenders, after he pretty much used her as a stock Queenpin in Spider-Man, and even that was just kind of...there.
    Venom Inc.

Though, that's a good point. Thompson came before either of these.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Endsong View Post
    Seeing as how it recently got reversed and other writers have been slowly dissolving it anyway, likely not.

Slott never did like Felicia. Never.
    Why do people say that? I mean yes, she did take a massive beating by Superior Spider-man and she managed to dodge death in favor of Silver Sable, but didn't Slott have her wanting to be an Avenger at one point with Slott having Pete vouch for her?

Quote Originally Posted by Tmacaoni View Post
    Why do people say that? I mean yes, she did take a massive beating by Superior Spider-man and she managed to dodge death in favor of Silver Sable, but didn't Slott have her wanting to be an Avenger at one point with Slott having Pete vouch for her?
    I'd say it's less about him not liking her, but more about not respecting the character, the whole Queenpin is evidence of that, Felicia wanting to join the Avengers is questionable too, though she could be joining it because it pays well, but still, the threats she'd have to face seem like enemies she's rather avoid...
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 01-19-2018 at 05:53 PM.

Spider-Man fans will only true appreciate how fucking brilliant Dan Slott's epic run was after some time. I say months. In one year, I bet a lot of the usual online complainers here will be begging for him to come back. Easily Marvel's most underrated writer, which is a complete shame. This is an awful day for Spider-Man fans.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

"Humans of the planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed." -Professor X

Quote Originally Posted by ijacksparrow View Post
    Spider-Man fans will only true appreciate how fucking brilliant Dan Slott's epic run was after some time. I say months. In one year, I bet a lot of the usual online complainers here will be begging for him to come back. Easily Marvel's most underrated writer, which is a complete shame. This is an awful day for Spider-Man fans.
    Well, half the people here says he's a genius, other half says he's shit, very little middle ground, which I find ironic since that's similar how he writes lol (I noticed that Spidey is either a super genius badass or an incompetent loser who needs help to do shit).

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Well, half the people here says he's a genius, other half says he's shit, very little middle ground, which I find ironic since that's similar how he writes lol (I noticed that Spidey is either a super genius badass or an incompetent loser who needs help to do shit).
    i’m the little middle ground. hi
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    Well the thing is that whoever got the gig would be following the same editorial mandates, so chances are these people would have the same 'issues'.
    Agreed. While I do think that some his more unconventional original ideas also generated their fair share of controversies, I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that his successor is going to get flack for the OMD agenda, irregardless of the actual quality of the material given the premise.

Maybe? Personally, I did not really enjoy much of what I read of his work at all, even putting the OMD fiasco and his more unconventional ideas for the character aside (both of which are huge stumbling blocks for me, to be totally transparent regarding my biases).

So, I have a hard time imagining that Slott's reputation will change that much (I suspect that Bendis's Ultimate run will easily surpass it), but, as said before, I'm hardly objective on this point. (I think that the weirdness of the run will either work for or against it; it's such a different place for Spidey that it could give a novelty aspect that would make it of interest to new readers down the road, but it could also be a reason it's not liked as much, since it's so different from classic Spider-Man.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Someone out there probably thought the same thing about OMD and it still despised by the majority of people who want the marriage back.

Me personally, i am glad he is leaving, i had no grief with him when he did She Hulk and when he took over the Post OMD Spidey. I didn't like him reverting Felicia or putting Carlie Cooper in but i went with it, i accepted him working at Horizon, even took a liking to Spider Island...then Superior hit and it all went downhill for me. I know, aside from the HydraCap thing, it would be contested how good or bad it was but for me it was the straw that broke the camels back after the AvX fiasco that made me drop Marvel for a while. And the less said about Parker Industries the better.

As for JMS, say what you will about Sins of the Past, OMD (i blame Quesada not him for that mistake) or the totem deal (i liked it actually, the Other is one of my favorites) the man wrote a pretty good family dynamic in regards to the Parkers. Seeing Aunt May sass Logan and her budding relationship with Jarvis or the love between Peter and MJ or even those odd moments with other heroes just did it for me in a way Slott just couldn't deliver.

When Stan Lee left, to be replaced by Conway (a complete unknown) - no one cared because back in those days we just read comics and comic writers weren't these stars like they are today. Slott's moving on, the stars will still be up in the sky, Spider-Man will go on, and some people will like the new direction, while some won't.

Happy for Slott.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.