Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I'm not sure I have a problem with different-sourced villains (he does take on other's rogue's galleries a lot, after all). As far as the magic spider, since the exacts of what happened to the spider (radiation, genetic engineering, OZ, magic) change over time, the exacts were never as important as it being a spider that had been messed with somehow. On top of that, the spider is just a plot device for the main setup; this guy finds himself superpowered by random chance and needs to decide what he'll do with this gift and curse.
    Whether you care about it or not, a genre switch is a massive change. It's like saying the Ancient One injected Dr Strange with nanobots and then having him fight robots for 40 issues.

Maybe? While I will concede that stripping away the classic supporting cast doesn't do it any favors (which Slott is very guilty of), Mary Jane and Aunt May being around and in the know is, IMHO, a lot closer to classic Spider-Man than Slott's current run. (Also, as a life-long USM fan, this is exactly in my wheelhouse
    Which supporting cast members hasn't Slott used? That's an incredibly strange criticism. What are you basing it on?

It's really weird that you have so many hot takes on material you haven't read.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Whether you care about it or not, a genre switch is a massive change. It's like saying the Ancient One injected Dr Strange with nanobots and then having him fight robots for 40 issues.
    I wouldn't classify what JMS did as a "genre switch." It's not like Dragonball, which went from a comedy adventure series to a super martial arts battle series.

It wasn't even like JMS was the first writer that had Spider-Man face off against mystical foes. JMS did stuff differently, but not to the point that it was unrecognizable as Spider-Man.

Slott comes out ahead in his comparisons.

His run made a best ever list in 39th place, between Transmetropolitan and Peter David's Hulk.

http://www.cbr.com/2016-top-comic-bo...e-master-list/

JMS's did not.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    As already elaborated in this thread, people's problems with Slott extend well beyond the fact he's the current writer.
    Sure, but it's a big part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I know, right? J.S. Bach was more prolific than any other classical composer in terms of sheer hours of music composed, and arguably the most technically adept because each piece is carefully constructed at a similar technical level.

But I'd rather listen to Mozart practically every day.
    To be fair, when we're talking about Mozart and Bach, they're both at the top of their field.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Uh . . . Babylon 5

Sense8 is also worth checking out.
    He did write a film that got Angelina Jolie an Oscar nomination.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

His run made a best ever list in 39th place, between Transmetropolitan and Peter David's Hulk.

CBR have dissed his run more recently, including taking digs at his arguable "peak" in Superior.

CBR have dissed his run more recently, including taking digs at his arguable "peak" in Superior.
    We should distinguish between the opinions of one guy writing for CBR, and the results of polls of CBR readers.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Because it does'nt hold up on repeat viewings.
    Have to disagree with you big time there. Fair if you think otherwise, but I don't see where you're coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post

Which supporting cast members hasn't Slott used? That's an incredibly strange criticism. What are you basing it on?

It's really weird that you have so many hot takes on material you haven't read.
    Whatever.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

We should distinguish between the opinions of one guy writing for CBR, and the results of polls of CBR readers.
    You mean the same polls that have wanted One More Day to be undone?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Have to disagree with you big time there. Fair if you think otherwise, but I don't see where you're coming from.
    Regurgitated elements of A New Hope, way too many coincidences (conveniently parked Millennium Falcon), horrible middle act with bad comedy and crappy CGI monster, a main villian that actually manages to outwhine Hayden Christensen. The movie's a mess. People only give it a pass because it's not the prequels. It's better than Attack of the Clones, but it's actually inferior to Revenge of the Sith.

JMS's did not.
    Internet polls such as this are unscientific. They should not be taken as fact and should only be used for fun discussions.

Regurgitated elements of A New Hope, way too many coincidences (conveniently parked Millennium Falcon), horrible middle act with bad comedy and crappy CGI monster, a main villian that actually manages to outwhine Hayden Christensen. The movie's a mess. People only give it a pass because it's not the prequels. It's better than Attack of the Clones, but it's actually inferior to Revenge of the Sith.
    People do realize this was deliberate, right? The Prequels had left such a sour taste that they wanted to clue audiences in to not be worried about the future of Star Wars.

(Also, I've seen more than enough people unhappy about TFA's female protagonist.)
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 10-14-2017 at 09:07 AM.

Regurgitated elements of A New Hope, way too many coincidences (conveniently parked Millennium Falcon)...
    Business as usual for Star Wars, in other words?

...horrible middle act with bad comedy and crappy CGI monster...
    Comedy is subjective, so fair if you thought so, but I'm not sure what was wrong with the middle act.

...a main villian that actually manages to outwhine Hayden Christensen.
    I actually think that Kylo Ren is what Anakin should've been in the prequels, if one is going for an immature character. I didn't have a problem with him, but then again, Kylo is not that high on my list of favorite Star Wars villains, while the TFA protagonists are some of my new favorites, so mileage may vary.

The movie's a mess. People only give it a pass because it's not the prequels.
    I loved it and I'm a filthy prequel lover.

It's better than Attack of the Clones, but it's actually inferior to Revenge of the Sith.
    I agree it's better than AOTC, not sure about ROTS; both it and TFA are pretty high up there for me.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    People do realize this was deliberate, right? The Prequels had left such a sour taste that they wanted to clue audiences in to not be worried about the future of Star Wars.
    They didn't succeed. Given the existing complaints about "Ma-rey Sue", Whino Ren, the production woes of Han Solo, Abrams directing Redux of the Jedi, and with the absurdity of the next Jar Jar/Ewoks in the form of the Last Jedi's Porgs, I'd say a lot of fans are more concerned than ever.

They didn't succeed. Given the existing complaints about "Ma-rey Sue", Whino Ren, the production woes of Han Solo, Abrams directing Redux of the Jedi, and with the absurdity of the next Jar Jar/Ewoks in the form of the Last Jedi's Porgs, I'd say a lot of fans are more concerned than ever.
    TFA

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=starwars7.htm

Worldwide: $2,068,223,624

Rogue One

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...arwars2016.htm

Worldwide: $1,056,057,273

As of this post the Star Wars: The Last Jedi trailer (which was released less than a week ago) has more than 27 million views on Youtube.

You're conflating you and some people you interact with as representing the larger audience.

(And before anyone hits me up about me doing something similar with ASM, call me when ASM pulls numbers that place it at #1 in its industry. It's the old adage "If you're not first, you're last.")

BANNED

Star Wars sells because it's Star Wars, which was never my point.

My point is these movies ultimately have empty calories and "buyer's remorse" kicks in not long after the sheeple have seen them.

Star Wars sells because it's Star Wars, which was never my point.

My point is these movies ultimately have empty calories and "buyer's remorse" kicks in not long after the sheeple have seen them.
    If you want to have a serious discussion with other people don't use terms like "sheeple."