BANNED

Default Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows#12

This was, again, a very frantic issue. I know it had to put a lot of the toys back in the box, but I think there were some missed opportunities in rushing to the climax

For example...what exactly was the connection Mss. January had to Harry? This felt like the first time it was brought up...were those two having an affair when he died or something?

Normie had a random change of heart off-panel, and had a falling out with Mss. January off-panel, prompting her to smack him over the head off-panel

Peter tries to overload the Mech Goblin's regent tech capabilities with his own spider-powers, but only winds up draining himself completely

Annie asking MJ what was "up" with her costume...only there did'nt seem to be anything wrong with the symbiote on the page where she and Liz rescued her. In fact, the symbiote was SAID to be growing steadily out of control, but never actually shown to be.

...And then-POOF-just like that, the symbiote is roasted by the Mech Goblin and Peter and MJ crash into a window.

Liked that MJ covered her face up with a web-mask to conceal her identity

D-did they just rip off the ending to the first season of the 1987 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon?

..How do you get the powers OUT of the Regent orb? Care to ask Normie that?

Overall, I don't quite think they stuck the landing with this one, a lot of questions, but it was still pretty fun, and we got a one page "eight years later" epilouge with Annie getting her new costume, with Peter and MJ telling her they're proud of her and that they trust her...must be a lot of stories in those eight years where they flip-flopped on that I assume.

Still, thanks Ryan Stegman for steering the ship as well as you did in Gerry's absence, bring on the new era
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 10-11-2017 at 04:57 AM.

Wow. I didn't notice all that stuff until you pointed it out. Good points. Here's my take:

-Why were X-Men here? This was worse than before. They came out of nowhere and then randomly disappeared.
    -Normie's arc... eh. Could've been done a lot better.

Overall, I still think it was nice end point if you want it to be. I'm thinking to make it my end point with this series. I really don't like the time skip decision.

Astonishing Member

Last one I read was #10 so need to play catch-up. I'll give the new creative team a go. I don't know anything about them and not sold on the time jump to 8 years later, young Annie at school had potential needed to be looked at further, ditto the lives of Pete/Mary Jane outside the costumes.

If the advert was accurate, she left her normal elementary school for the Xavier School (i.e. the X-Men), and then came back home and will be at a normal high school now. So actually, anything related to her old school is done anyway.

I wonder if Normie will be a heroic Green Goblin now?

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

This issue seemed really rushed. The conclusion to the story felt anti-climactic and came out of nowhere, and I wasn’t a fan of Peter and the X-Men getting punked by a robot Annie could beat so easily. It seems more and more likely (IMO) that this series is going to become Annie-centric instead of Peter-centric, which I’m not a fan of.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    This was, again, a very frantic issue. I know it had to put a lot of the toys back in the box, but I think there were some missed opportunities in rushing to the climax

For example...what exactly was the connection Mss. January had to Harry? This felt like the first time it was brought up...were those two having an affair when he died or something?

Normie had a random change of heart off-panel, and had a falling out with Mss. January off-panel, prompting her to smack him over the head off-panel

Peter tries to overload the Mech Goblin's regent tech capabilities with his own spider-powers, but only winds up draining himself completely

Annie asking MJ what was "up" with her costume...only there did'nt seem to be anything wrong with the symbiote on the page where she and Liz rescued her. In fact, the symbiote was SAID to be growing steadily out of control, but never actually shown to be.

...And then-POOF-just like that, the symbiote is roasted by the Mech Goblin and Peter and MJ crash into a window.

Liked that MJ covered her face up with a web-mask to conceal her identity

D-did they just rip off the ending to the first season of the 1987 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon?

..How do you get the powers OUT of the Regent orb? Care to ask Normie that?

Overall, I don't quite think they stuck the landing with this one, a lot of questions, but it was still pretty fun, and we got a one page "eight years later" epilouge with Annie getting her new costume, with Peter and MJ telling her they're proud of her and that they trust her...must be a lot of stories in those eight years where they flip-flopped on that I assume.

Still, thanks Ryan Stegman for steering the ship as well as you did in Gerry's absence, bring on the new era
    Agreed on all issues noted.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    This issue seemed really rushed. The conclusion to the story felt anti-climactic and came out of nowhere, and I wasn’t a fan of Peter and the X-Men getting punked by a robot Annie could beat so easily. It seems more and more likely (IMO) that this series is going to become Annie-centric instead of Peter-centric, which I’m not a fan of.
    Yep, another story arc ending issue that felt rushed, and my fear as well that the series will become too Annie-centric.
    (plus, I will miss the VenoMJ costume . . .

Overall this issue was a bit of a letdown for me compared to recent past issues. The series really needs better pacing of its issues, including more development of the Spider-family's life outside of being Spider-heroes, the classic Bugle supporting cast, and Annie's precognitive powers, instead of the constant superhero vs. villain battle after battle. I also would not mind if MJ lost the technology to "leach" power from Peter (another reason why I liked VenoMJ so much more, beside her costume, was the struggle with her having to keep the symbiote suppressed).

BANNED

Agreed. I still like Annie but I hope it does not end up being just the Annie show

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bor View Post
    Agreed. I still like Annie but I hope it does not end up being just the Annie show
    Yeah, I started RYV thinking it was going to be just like ASM but with a family. But it's becoming more and more like Spider-Girl instead, and while I like Annie, I like Peter a lot more, so that shift is making me lose a bit of interest in the title.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

My explanation for the symbiote is that MJ wasn't in full control of her emotions and since the symbiote is an emotional amplifier, specifically of negative emotions, any loss of control or composure on MJ's part would mean giving the symbiote leverage to unleash literal bloody murder on anything and anyone in its path. That, and with Liz's duplicity being revealed in this arc, it probably made MJ disgusted with not just Liz, but with herself for accepting the symbiote in the first place, which would be why she wanted it off. That is not the kind of headspace you want to be in when wearing a sapient life-form as "biotech armor" that feeds off and amplifies negative emotions and impulses.

That aside, I do agree that there should have been one more issue in this run to flesh out a lot of the action and character interactions and development. However, Annie and Normie hugging was probably the highlight of the issue, putting an end to the Spider-Goblin feud forever (hopefully), and I'll be looking forward to seeing if they're still friends (if not more) in eight years' time. Bring on Year Two!
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Goodbye MJ's Symbiote. You will be missed .
    I wouldn't say Annie beat it so easily so much as she had Normie's help and she was small enough to sneak into the robot.

The issue was pretty good but rushed.

I was happy to see X-Men. But they were useless here. It was foolish to stay around when Regent tech was at work.

Normie's change of heart was rushed. But i loved that he changed. Annie's appeals to his better side worked.

Welcome back White Suit.
    I will miss the black one. May not be as much others but it was cool.

I am not happy with the time skip. 8 long years gone. So many stories in this vein. It was so much fun. I was liking 8-year old Annie. I wanted more stories around her. And i am fearing a 16 year old Annie. She may be more heavily featured at the expense of Spider-Man and Mary Jane. Let's hope it would continue to be fun to read. And Spider-man would not be reduced too much. Maybe this time they will take it slowly. There are so many characters. Where is J. Jonah Jameson? I am missing that guy.