Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess that just kind of accentuates that there's more going on with Blake then what it seems.
    Yes, that was clear the moment he showed up with his overly fortuitous story. It also must be a rarity to find someone who looks exactly like Hercule Poirot in 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    Or an agent of Zeus.

At this point it's just a hunch but, his weird eccentric appearance, he seems to be far too confident, is very much an agent of 'synchronicity' driving the heroes to be in a better position against Grail, but what really made my 'story sense' go off was his "You really think so?" (or whatever the exact wording was) to Diana's comment about Zeus being a bad father.

No evidence, it's just what my gut is telling me. Perhaps it's just too much coffee this morning or indigestion... but I think Blake, if not Zeus himself, is tied with him in some way and is much more than just a funny looking lawyer.
    Just re-read the issue. I agree with you!

Or an agent of Zeus.

At this point it's just a hunch but, his weird eccentric appearance, he seems to be far too confident, is very much an agent of 'synchronicity' driving the heroes to be in a better position against Grail, but what really made my 'story sense' go off was his "You really think so?" (or whatever the exact wording was) to Diana's comment about Zeus being a bad father.

No evidence, it's just what my gut is telling me. Perhaps it's just too much coffee this morning or indigestion... but I think Blake, if not Zeus himself, is tied with him in some way and is much more than just a funny looking lawyer.
    Agreed. That's been buzzing around in my own head since reading it. I mean, how many other attorneys, after fulfilling their clients last will and testament, go with some random person (even if they are Wonder Woman) to search for her long lost brother, and never be questioned about it? Especially going all the way to Greece.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Speaking of odd, was anyone else disturbed by how easily Diana confided in a total stranger the details of her past and family life? It's like she never learns to keep some things close to the vest. Being an avatar of truth doesn't mean you have to guilelessly tell everything you know.
    Well, it's not like she is putting anyone in harms way, and as she does point out, that she's the daughter of Zeus likely isn't that interesting to most people.

Amazing Member

Other than the art (for example, I don't think that's a mullet... it's just wet, slightly longish hair badly drawn) I loved it!

I'm calling it now: Blake is Zeus.

I think you may be right about Blake being Zeus.... I was thinking Hermès!

I think the problem with writing dialogue for Diana and Steve is that there's no, and I mean 'ZERO', of the kind of sexual and political tension between them that makes classic pairings, like Superman and Lois ..or Han and Leia so interesting to us. There's nothing here, bristling with uncertainty - no exchange, in which the lovers are fumbling around for each other's boundaries or switching roles...shifting strength between them, when it's needed. There's no uncertainty, regarding the risks they take win each other's favor - will they be rewarded for them, or have they doomed any hope of love, between them? Everything is resolved between them, and each knows their place, and that's boring.

Steve is a eunuch, who worships his superhero lover, with unending praise and deference. That's his place, and he seems fatally comfy, there. It's not even cute in a rom-com sort of way, ..and Robinson tried really hard to make it cute and funny.

I think Mr. Azzarello did a much finer job, with Orion and Diana. Some of us fans hated that Orion wasn't deferential enough to Diana - don't know why he should be, truthfully - but, what was going on between them was infinitely more interesting, than what's going on with Steve and Diana. Under everyone, but, Rucka, who actually made them mildly interesting, they're a flavorless mayo sandwich, with no meat or chipotle.

Once again (and I don't know how it happened), Steve Trevor is not a man. He's a Ken doll. All he is now is a patronizing reflection of his lover's reality and ambitions - a total eunuch...boring!
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 10-12-2017 at 12:47 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Once again (and I don't know how it happened), Steve Trevor is not a man. He's a Ken doll. All he is now is a patronizing reflection of his lover's reality and ambitions - a total eunuch...boring!
    Classic Steve Trevor then.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Classic Steve Trevor then.
    I tried to be fair.

These two characters are both risk-takers, but, somehow, that's not reflected in the dialogue, between them. I don't think the boundaries should be so flaccidly established between them, and, with two such strong personalities involved, what boundaries that exist between them should be getting pushed and challenged, all the time. I want more tension, here.

And for my money, the 'angel this...angel that' thing should be quietly retired, after this issue. The writers and editors should meet, look over the disaster that this issue's dialogues was ..and realize it's just not working.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 10-12-2017 at 01:11 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I tried to be fair.

These two characters are both risk-takers, but, somehow, that's not reflected in the dialogue, between them. I don't think the boundaries should be so flaccidly established between them, and, with two such strong personalities involved, what boundaries that exist between them should be getting pushed and challenged, all the time. I want more tension, here.

And for my money, the 'angel this...angel that' thing should be quietly retired, after this issue. The writers and editors should meet, look over the disaster that this issue's dialogues was ..and realize it's just not working.
    I get what you are saying. Steve here isn't so much a character in his own right, he's more like a parrot that sits on Diana's shoulder that she can talk to.

But then again, this might just be how Robinson is ticking a box, he's got Steve to appear, he didn't really do anything or play any major part so now Diana is free to move on with the actual story. Could the appearance have been better? Certainly. But is there a reason for Robinson to put any more effort into it? Not really... same way he just ripped off the movie for the additional manpower.

Spectacular Member

Big questions that needs answering, why was Jason kept a secret?

I have previously loved Robinson's writing, especially on Earth 2, but had mixed reservations because I really hate the Zeus/Jason thing and was hoping the clay origin would stick after Rucka's run.

Still, I had some hope, but so far the dialogue has been just painful, I really don't like the Oddfellows popping up in the current day and age, there is, as noted, zero chemistry between Diana and Steve (unlike Rucka's run where I thought it was very well written), and I just can't get into this storyline. Hercules being dead feels like an incredible waste, Diana showing no interest in who the other people in the morgue were just seemed kind of cold, and I just can't bring myself to find any interest in the Grail/baby Darkseid story, either.

And yeah, as others have pointed out, the art is lacking as well. Still, a step up from the previous team, though a step down from Rucka.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    "What a nice note filled with all the answers" WHAM! "Hercules is my brother" WHAM! "I'm the daughter of Zeus" WHAM! "I have a twin" WHAM! "He'll make me whole" WHAM! Wait, what? "Here's a map to find him" WHAM! "Let's fly there now" WHAM! "Here he is" WHAM! "He has a mullet" WHAM!
    BAM! Thank you, ma'am.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    The art was mostly horrendous. We're the bedfellows the team from the movie? I didn't see chief but the others seemed like it might be the same characters from the movie. Other than that this was a disappointment.
    Chief was there, just had a hair cut apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I also hated seeing Diana in that faux disguise consisting of a trench coat(too 90s), her usual boots, and her hair pushed back with her tiara sitting prominently on top. Seriously - who wouldn't recognize her as Wonder Woman in that get up??? She might has well have a clip on sign on her trench coat that reads "Hi! My name is Wonder Woman!".
    I don't think she was intending to be disguised. But I hate it just the same.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    I have previously loved Robinson's writing, especially on Earth 2, but had mixed reservations because I really hate the Zeus/Jason thing and was hoping the clay origin would stick after Rucka's run.
    Considering the circumstances of her birth was never mentioned during the run... why would it come back all of a sudden?