Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I kind of got bored
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

"What a nice note filled with all the answers" WHAM! "Hercules is my brother" WHAM! "I'm the daughter of Zeus" WHAM! "I have a twin" WHAM! "He'll make me whole" WHAM! Wait, what? "Here's a map to find him" WHAM! "Let's fly there now" WHAM! "Here he is" WHAM! "He has a mullet" WHAM!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    "What a nice note filled with all the answers" WHAM! "Hercules is my brother" WHAM! "I'm the daughter of Zeus" WHAM! "I have a twin" WHAM! "He'll make me whole" WHAM! Wait, what? "Here's a map to find him" WHAM! "Let's fly there now" WHAM! "Here he is" WHAM! "He has a mullet" WHAM!
    If you WHAM! any more the universe will break and we will all be hearing Last Christmas till the end of time

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    If you WHAM! any more the universe will break and we will all be hearing Last Christmas till the end of time
    WHAM! lol!

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I liked it overall, particularly Hercules's letter, but the characters all seem stiff to me. I think it's the dialogue, which isn't an area Robinson has excelled in. I wouldn't go so far say this has gotten more male centric, as we still have Diana as the P.O.V character and the whole reveal surrounding Jason is how it relates to her, but I do hope as the issues progress we get some more ladies in her.

I'm also eager to get this business out of the way so Robinson can write about something else, even if I see the need to address these dangling plot threads, and it could always be way worse than it is here.

The dialogue is what gets me the most, too. I'm not sure why Robinson continues to get high-profile work if he can't write dialogue well (and also the transphobic controversy). Dialogue is one of the most important aspects of a comic book, it should be better than this.

I didn't hate this issue, but that final scene with Jason is just... the worst dialogue I've seen in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I'm also eager to get this business out of the way so Robinson can write about something else, even if I see the need to address these dangling plot threads, and it could always be way worse than it is here.
    It seems like Robinson's only signed on for 12 issues and they will most likely encompass the entire "Children of the Gods" storyline.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Some of the dialogue was way too long and overly-detailed and the art was mediocre at best. I also hated seeing Diana in that faux disguise consisting of a trench coat(too 90s), her usual boots, and her hair pushed back with her tiara sitting prominently on top. Seriously - who wouldn't recognize her as Wonder Woman in that get up??? She might has well have a clip on sign on her trench coat that reads "Hi! My name is Wonder Woman!" If I didn't know that both Giganta and Grail were going to be major players in this arc, I just might drop it but Robinson has usually written some great stories so I'm here for the ride.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

The art was mostly horrendous. We're the bedfellows the team from the movie? I didn't see chief but the others seemed like it might be the same characters from the movie. Other than that this was a disappointment.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

I never thought dialogue was one of Robinson's weak points, but I guess my major experience with him is his Starman run where I think the dialogue really worked and accentuated the feel of the book.

I didn't have any problem with the dialogue in this issue.

The "disguise" didn't bother me either because I didn't really look at it as any huge attempt at hiding her identity in the first place. It was something Azz did in his run and I thought it was fine then too. Just enough to not draw immediate attention and kinda blend in but not really trying to hide either.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-11-2017 at 07:14 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    The art was mostly horrendous. We're the bedfellows the team from the movie? I didn't see chief but the others seemed like it might be the same characters from the movie. Other than that this was a disappointment.
    I lol'd at "bedfellows"

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I never thought dialogue was one of Robinson's weak points, but I guess my major experience with him is his Starman run where I think the dialogue really worked and accentuated the feel of the book.
    I agree, the dialogue was GREAT in Starman. It was varied yet distinctive. This issue it seemed all Robinson's talent went to making the lawyer Blake Hooper likeable and interesting (the bit about his temperament and tailoring was hilarious) to the detriment of everyone else but the Oddfellows. However I did miss Etta, Davey, Manny and the rest, but this was an A.R.G.U.S. mission and not The Picket's.

Speaking of odd, was anyone else disturbed by how easily Diana confided in a total stranger the details of her past and family life? It's like she never learns to keep some things close to the vest. Being an avatar of truth doesn't mean you have to guilelessly tell everything you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Speaking of odd, was anyone else disturbed by how easily Diana confided in a total stranger the details of her past and family life? It's like she never learns to keep some things close to the vest. Being an avatar of truth doesn't mean you have to guilelessly tell everything you know.
    I guess that just kind of accentuates that there's more going on with Blake then what it seems.

The banter between Diana and the Oddfellows and Steve...horrendous! First of all, it was too much - people in a fight don't hold extensive conversations, with introspection and caveats...awful. It felt staged and fake, and it's this kind of butt-kissing deference has made Steve Trevor one of the least likable super-romances in comics. I felt, like, if Steve called her 'Angel', just one more time, she'd snap and throw him into a thunderhead, somewhere!

What I did like was that Diana's life, as a Savage-styled, jet-setting adventurer - a feature of the Azzarello run - seems to have been restored. I actually enjoyed Diana's interaction with Hooper, more than her interaction with Steve Trevor.

Who wants to predict that Diana, at the end of this arc, winds up leaving the log cabin and the life in Twin Peaksy Elexinor to Jason? I do.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 10-11-2017 at 08:47 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!