Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sundowhn View Post
    See, for me, that's what would make it potentially a good read. They could have JP in there reluctantly and maybe another character or two trying to help him cull his tendency towards impatience. I mean he does know the best way to go about this, he'd have a huge amount to offer, but it would go against his grain to do it and subject himself to the role of diplomat. Him doing so anyway might offer up some nice character moments and development, at least imo. Eh, it's just one I'd personally like to see.
    Well, he knows the best way to go about it for him and that's "Your problems with me are your problems, so **** off", but I doubt we'd ever see Storm, Wolverine, etc. go against the gospel of St. Xavier to that extent. And I don't know that I'd like to see Jean-Paul's edges blunted to the extent it would take to make him a palatable spokesperson.

Now, give me a spin-off with JP and the NXM kids (who have seen the dream fail them up close and personal like) telling the old guard to sit and spin and I'd sign up for that in a hot second.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    And since I'm sharing this one in another thread, a low point from Alpha Flight #8:

Yes, Northstar had seen his father-figure murdered in front of him a few hours ago and hadn't moved quickly enough to stop it, but that's not an excuse given that Aurora had spent the whole day having to make nice with someone who could kill her with a touch. It's just one of those moments where I want to smack the crap out of the character before giving him a hug.

I remember this, and man! did he really piss me off when he said that to her.
    But his face! That face when he asks her not to leave him.
    Immediate regret and sad.
    And, god, can she hold a grudge. He deserved it, but she was pissed FOREVER.
    And he was sad for a very long time. He made his bed. Poor, JP.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    I remember this, and man! did he really piss me off when he said that to her.
    But his face! That face when he asks her not to leave him.
    Immediate regret and sad.
    And, god, can she hold a grudge. He deserved it, but she was pissed FOREVER.
    And he was sad for a very long time. He made his bed. Poor, JP.
    Definitely. As much as I feel for JP in these two issues, I don't blame Aurora in the slightest for dumping him like old laundry. She watched someone murdered in front of her, was quick-thinking enough to fool the killer into thinking she was his accomplice, saved JP's ass when he charged into the middle of the situation chin first, and figured out who the real accomplice was to boot, bringing at least one of Raymonde's killers to justice...and THAT was the thanks she got.

Boy had it coming.

ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL my books just arrived.
    And I have no idea where to start. My head is spinning.

ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL my books just arrived.
    And I have no idea where to start. My head is spinning.
    I look forward to your report. Or the screaming and throwing things. Whichever.

I look forward to your report. Or the screaming and throwing things. Whichever.
    I started with the Astonishing Northstar trade. It was just there, so I grabbed it, and the art intrigued me a bit.
    And then it was the art that had me WTFing in places. Like, in the scene where Warbird stops by Gambit's apartment. JP's ear looks like it's on his neck. And then half the time he's not drawn with pointed ears. And I will ALWAYS notice if he's drawn without pointed ears because pointed ears are my most favorite thing ever.

I am going to snap a picture of the trades sitting on my nightstand next to my bed. I cannot pile much more or it will fall over, but I am currently reading from each one, and everytime I think of just putting a few back on the shelf because it's just seriously ridiculous, I just cannot seem to do it.
    Last edited by Cold Water; 05-31-2014 at 04:44 AM.

Marvel Fanfare #28 was EXCELLENT.
    I wish ALLLL of Mantlo's AF run was written this well.
    I will say this about Mantlo's run, 6 issues in, he has only made me like Northstar more, but at the same time, he's made me dislike Heather just as much.

I am going to start Academy X today, but something tells me I am going to breeze through those issues.

I started with the Astonishing Northstar trade. It was just there, so I grabbed it, and the art intrigued me a bit.
    And then it was the art that had me WTFing in places. Like, in the scene where Warbird stops by Gambit's apartment. JP's ear looks like it's on his neck. And then half the time he's not drawn with pointed ears. And I will ALWAYS notice if he's drawn without pointed ears because pointed ears are my most favorite thing ever.
    One of the things I thought was interesting about the Perkins art on that run was that there was a somewhat unflattering realistic aspect to a lot of it. People weren't attractive when they were crying or upset or injured, and it was like some of the panels were candid snapshots. I thought it was appropriate given the horror/suspense vibe in those first two arcs. That said, there were some real issues with consistency and expressions, not to mention where he swiped from Alan Davis, and I wouldn't have wanted it as a regular thing. I vastly preferred Walta and Baldeon's work.

Marvel Fanfare #28 was EXCELLENT.
    I wish ALLLL of Mantlo's AF run was written this well.
    I will say this about Mantlo's run, 6 issues in, he has only made me like Northstar more, but at the same time, he's made me dislike Heather just as much.
    That issue was a good one for Northstar (if a bit angsty), but pretty bad for almost everyone else, I thought. Even Mac got his name posthumously dirtied up a bit. And Box deciding that the best way to deal with an already-injured teammate was by grabbing him and slamming him against the ground was really WTF. The pacing was good, though, and the art was fine.

One of my primary complaints about the Mantlo Alpha Flight run was how many characters got turned into caricatures of their personalities under Byrne. For example, Heather's moments of self-doubt were ballooned up to an obnoxious degree while her headstrong determination became something a lot more rigid and inflexible. Not to mention that everyone's IQ seemed to drop a few points. Half-elf bullshit aside, I'd say Northstar got off relatively light, but even he went from being arrogant and somewhat abrasive to being a grade-A *******.

I am going to start Academy X today, but something tells me I am going to breeze through those issues.
    We'll see. The kids might grow on you.

Three pages from X-Men: Curse of the Mutants - Storm and Gambit #1 by Chuck Kim and Chris Bachelo. This book was a gem in a ridiculous and best-forgotten event, particularly for it's treatment of Storm and some gorgeous single panels by Bachelo, and I recall it being received quite well overall. Darn shame that Kim never got more Marvel work.

But my primary point of interest here is the through-joke regarding Northstar, Dazzler, and Emma Frost.

Later, during a rematch with the vampires:

Last edited by Anduinel; 08-10-2017 at 03:38 AM.

One of the things I thought was interesting about the Perkins art on that run was that there was a somewhat unflattering realistic aspect to a lot of it. People weren't attractive when they were crying or upset or injured, and it was like some of the panels were candid snapshots. I thought it was appropriate given the horror/suspense vibe in those first two arcs.
    Yes, the realistic, painting-like style of it was great, and I agree "unflattering" is correct in places. Like the happy faces, fun faces, surprised-but-smiling faces, were freaky looking, imo. However, the serious-discussion-faces were great. However, I had a hard time with the lack of correct ears (and ear placement), and it came off sloppy in those places. If his ears are to be shown, the only time we shouldn't see points is if his hair is over the tips.

That issue was a good one for Northstar (if a bit angsty), but pretty bad for almost everyone else, I thought. Even Mac got his name posthumously dirtied up a bit. And Box deciding that the best way to deal with an already-injured teammate was by grabbing him and slamming him against the ground was really WTF. The pacing was good, though, and the art was fine.
    But reading this MFF issue, while still being fresh into Mantlo's run, I think I have adjusted to the rest of AF looking like idiots and behaving as such, since Mantlo did this to them within the second issue of his run. And Heather has been badmouthing Mac for a few issues now, so that with everything else Mantlo has done to the character, I can honestly say if he killed her off next issue, it wouldn't be soon enough for me. And that angers me and makes me sad because Heather was one of my faves under Byrne (I said this in the AF thread already, but here I go again because it's a sore spot): The main issue with her and Wolverine could have made me quit reading Mantlo's run all together. I was very unhappy after reading it.

One of my primary complaints about the Mantlo Alpha Flight run was how many characters got turned into caricatures of their personalities under Byrne. For example, Heather's moments of self-doubt were ballooned up to an obnoxious degree while her headstrong determination became something a lot more rigid and inflexible. Not to mention that everyone's IQ seemed to drop a few points. Half-elf bullshit aside, I'd say Northstar got off relatively light, but even he went from being arrogant and somewhat abrasive to being a grade-A *******.
    I am okay with Northstar's assholery, though. As I've claimed before, it basically balances Heather's intolerable behavior. Everytime I get to a point in an AF issue where Heather has a thought bubble, I cringe because I JUST KNOW she's going to think some stupid sh!t, and it's most likely going to be about Mac. And maybe Mantlo was going for the whole weak-woman-turned-strong through some kind of grieving process, and maybe we're supposed to be cheering her on that she finally has the strength to lead AF in her new, powerful suit, but it really just comes off as bitchy, gross, and forced.
    Believe me, I'd make any excuse for Heather being what she is now, if Mantlo hadn't done it so poorly. I WANT to like Heather.

We'll see. The kids might grow on you.
    I never got around to starting Academy X...because I got sucked into 4 more issues of AF (OOPS) because it involved Namor, and then I felt the urge to go back and read some classic New Mutants.
    And by "breeze through it", I meant that it'd probably be a little less wordy, and I'd probably like it, therefore, I'd read through it quicker than I am Mantlo's AF run. I'm sure I'll like a lot of the kids.

These last two are GREAT.
    And that is one adorably drawn Northstar in that second one.

Three pages from X-Men: Curse of the Mutants - Storm and Gambit #1 by Chuck Kim and Chris Bachelo. This book was a gem in a ridiculous and best-forgotten event, particularly for it's treatment of Storm and some gorgeous single panels by Bachelo, and I recall it being received quite well overall. Darn shame that Kim never got more Marvel work.

But my primary point of interest here is the through-joke regarding Northstar, Dazzler, and Emma Frost.

yay hes team Jacob!!!! Hahahaha I seriously need to read that
    I'm freaking QUICKSILVER!!! And you can eat my freaking dust!
    I am faster than I was when I was last on the Avengers roster -- MUCH FASTER!

From Northstar #1, in which our hero demonstrates the perils of bad 90's costume design.

Is he written out of character in that mini, or is it just bad due to the overall story, situations, and others in it?

Is he written out of character in that mini, or is it just bad due to the overall story, situations, and others in it?
    Mostly I dislike the series for being spineless. It's a major backslide into "can't say gay" mode; we get innuendo, hint, and insult, but no direct mention of Northstar's sexuality. Plus the story itself, while not devoid of decent character moments for Northstar (and Heather!) is just kind of a mess. It takes Northstar's past and makes it even more convoluted to no good effect.