Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MrMcMuffin View Post
    This is why I hate the same characters being in multiple books - THREE of the characters here have their own solos!!! Two more (beast,iceman) are in other books too.
    In fairness, Storm's solo isn't on the shelves yet (though she is in another team book). But otherwise agreed. I know Marvel's hedging their bets and hoping that if they put as many A-listers in as many titles as they can, they'll move more books, but it kind of has the opposite effect on me. For the most part, if a character I like is in multiple titles -- especially if they're nothing more than wallpaper in one -- I'll pick the one title that seems to be handling them best and go with that. But if less-used characters get some spotlight, for example, if Chamber's got a significant role in one title, Northstar in another, and Anole in a third, then I'm probably going to be buying three books.

Jean-Paul and Kyle dancing at Deadpool's wedding in Deadpool #27.

Nice to see that someone remembered Kyle exists, because the creatives on the X-Men side of things sure don't.

I love that Star is happy but the way Kyle has been written makes him sound like a self centered idiot. JP could do so much better with a certain severely closeted otterpop

Quote Originally Posted by rosemaximoff View Post
    I love that Star is happy but the way Kyle has been written makes him sound like a self centered idiot. JP could do so much better with a certain severely closeted otterpop
    Can't say I agree with you there. Kyle's not perfect, but he's been supportive of Northstar as a hero without being his doormat. They've had some arguments and rough patches, but overall, I like Kyle. I DON'T like how every damn writer to come down the pike sees a human love interest and thinks "damsel in distress", I don't like how the relationship was rushed to headlines before it had been given more solid grounding, and I'm not going to even start on how badly executed the DOMA storyline was. But overall, I think Kyle has potential, especially with the PR manager angle. It's just too bad no one's ever likely to touch on it.

Given that the majority of Northstar's interactions with Iceman were during the Austen era when Bobby was being a grade-A *******, up to threatening to kill Jean-Paul (while in his right mind, no brainwashing involved), I can't say I 'ship it. I can see why longer-term fans of Bobby might invoke the "you can't blame good characters for bad writing" rule, but it does nothing for me.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 05-16-2014 at 06:55 AM.

I love Blithe's picture!!!
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Alan Kistler has a retrospective of LGBT depictions in comic book history up at The Mary Sue for Pride Month. There's a nice section on Northstar's early history here, if anyone's curious, as well as some enlightening (and occasionally eye-rolling) Byrne quotes in the comments.

I love Jean Paul! I can totally relate to him! Do you guys now if he's making an appearance any time soon? Wich book would you like him to be featured?
    I would love if him and Psylocke got some panel time together!

Quote Originally Posted by MentalManipulator View Post
    I love Jean Paul! I can totally relate to him! Do you guys now if he's making an appearance any time soon? Wich book would you like him to be featured?
    I would love if him and Psylocke got some panel time together!
    He's supposed to have a significant part in the first arc of Kyle and Yost's Amazing X-Men starting in June, so fingers crossed. He was part of the retrieval team during the book's first arc, but he didn't have much development at all.

What makes Northstar relatable to you, btw?

marvel_pride_by_arzeno-d51q9gu.jpg

also I love this piece with all the gay, bi, lesbian, open and confused x-men characters hehehe

marvel_pride_by_arzeno-d51q9gu.jpg

also I love this piece with all the gay, bi, lesbian, open and confused x-men characters hehehe
    Never enough Rey art in this thread. That's not all of them, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    He's supposed to have a significant part in the first arc of Kyle and Yost's Amazing X-Men starting in June, so fingers crossed. He was part of the retrieval team during the book's first arc, but he didn't have much development at all.

What makes Northstar relatable to you, btw?
    I liked the first arc on Amazing too but could love more if he was more prominent. Hope he gets better characterization down the road!

I relate to him in his relationship to his sister, in his snarky remarks, his competitive nature and also I tend to hide my emotions and try to keep them in check even though deep down I'm a sensible guy....hehe. Also I speak french fluently and am a dark haired young gay guy. But no, unrotunately I don't have elf ears or super speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Never enough Rey art in this thread. That's not all of them, though.
    Who else would you put in there? Bobby, Destiny, Psylocke?

Alas, none of us get the ears and speed. Or maybe that's a good thing...

Who else would you put in there? Bobby, Destiny, Psylocke?
    Bling! and Greymalkin, more likely.

Amazing Heroes #22 (April 1983). Peter Sanderson interviews John Byrne about this new Alpha Flight book that’s just come out. Here's Jean-Paul's entry, typos and all.

It's interesting to note that Byrne seems to have changed his mind several times on whether or not Northstar actually used his powers to advance his skiing career. When Alpha Flight was first coming out, the answer appeared to be yes, but later commentary has Byrne asserting that Northstar was "too prideful" to use his powers as a crutch.