Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    I know.
    I always feel bad when I complain about Mantlo and Calimee's time on AF.
    TBH, I don't feel bad about it. Not liking what Mantlo wrote and pointing out where you (general "you", of course!) think his work fell short doesn't mean you think he deserved to be the victim of a hit-and-run. Likewise Calimee; he was in over his head and it showed. You're not an ogre for pointing out the art was lacking, because it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    TBH, I don't feel bad about it. Not liking what Mantlo wrote and pointing out where you (general "you", of course!) think his work fell short doesn't mean you think he deserved to be the victim of a hit-and-run. Likewise Calimee; he was in over his head and it showed. You're not an ogre for pointing out the art was lacking, because it was.
    What I am about to ask has nothing to do with what I quoted, but it got me thinking:

Do you think Claremont would have done well on AF after Byrne?
    I mean, we know he did pretty decently with them the few times he wrote them.
    I mean, I know he was busy with X-Men then, I think (trying to run a quick timeline through my head), but if schedules would have permitted, and he would have been offered and accepted, do you think he would have done well with them in their own book?
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

I'm biased, of course, but I think Claremont in his prime would have killed on AF. For everything else one can say about Byrne, he gave the team a lot of character development and drama that should have been a goldmine for any incoming writer. And, of course, Claremont was so very good at subtext. It makes me a bit sad that he never got to do more with Northstar than that lovely stint on "The Gift".

But then, why would Claremont have wanted Byrne's leftovers when he had his own corner of the MU? Especially after AF's sales level had Byrne publicly bitter about how readers just wanted "another X-Men."

I'm biased, of course, but I think Claremont in his prime would have killed on AF. For everything else one can say about Byrne, he gave the team a lot of character development and drama that should have been a goldmine for any incoming writer. And, of course, Claremont was so very good at subtext. It makes me a bit sad that he never got to do more with Northstar than that lovely stint on "The Gift".

But then, why would Claremont have wanted Byrne's leftovers when he had his own corner of the MU? Especially after AF's sales level had Byrne publicly bitter about how readers just wanted "another X-Men."
    I did not know that about Byrne.
    What happened? And does it explain why Byrne does not really love his creation?
    His creation that is my most favorite comics thing ever?

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    I did not know that about Byrne.
    What happened? And does it explain why Byrne does not really love his creation?
    His creation that is my most favorite comics thing ever?
    Just some interview remarks Byrne made after he and Mantlo agreed to swap out on the Hulk and AF. It boiled down to sales not being great compared to the rest of Marvel's line and the idea that maybe the whole bit with swapping creative teams would drum up interest in both books. Byrne also had this to say:

[Alpha Flight] will now be a group book, with everyone hanging out together and doing stuff together, which seems to be what the kids want. I misread the audience, basically. I thought they wanted something other than another X-Men.
    Of course, these days, Byrne's original roster is what fans tend to think of when it comes to Alpha Flight, and his series of solo adventures one of the things that makes the book stand out in memory. What a difference a few decades makes...

Astonishing X-Men #51 variant cover by Marko Djurdjevic

This is one of the few variant covers I've ever put down money for. 1) Because it's pretty as hell, 2) it was my favorite character's big day, and 3) because it homages the first wedding issue I ever bought, and I'm easily swayed by nostalgia.

Northstar and Aurora by Rogan Josh

Have Northstar and Quicksilver ever met? If so, have they ever raced?

I think a meeting would be interesting for both men. Similar looks, builds and powers. And they both get into "their moods" more often than not, said to be because the world is standing still to them.

Alpha Flight and X-Factor have crossed over a couple of times, but I don't believe Quicksilver was on the roster either time. So far as I'm aware, the two haven't ever met.

I suspect they'd hate each other for about five minutes, then start bonding over sister issues and how the rest of the world is full of idiots.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Any chance Northstar gets divorced and then later can be shipped with a fellow male mutant?

No offense to his husband just don't like non super powered couples in comics.

I really like superheroes having a more grounded partner, though it's something that definitely works better for some than others. What works for Superman and Lois would drive Batman and Catwoman to a suicide pact in a week, for example. But given how much time Northstar spends having an actual life outside of the spandex set - heck, how much time he's spent telling various super-types to stay the hell out of his life - I think it works for him. And I like Kyle besides, both as a character and how he complements Jean-Paul.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 01-24-2017 at 08:37 AM.

Northstar #1 (1994)

Jean-Paul "Look How Many Fucks I Give" Beaubier on how to handle paparazzi.

Is this the one I saw on a shirt?
    I swear I have seen this on a shirt.
    I love it.

I don't think that design was ever on a shirt. Are you thinking of the one from We Love Fine?