Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

They did date... in one of the last issues of her second Ms. Marvel series. Never went anywhere though and you can be sure ASM is the reason, considering the relationship could have easily carried on in New Avengers where they were both on the team.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    They did date... in one of the last issues of her second Ms. Marvel series. Never went anywhere though and you can be sure ASM is the reason, considering the relationship could have easily carried on in New Avengers where they were both on the team.
    It's the one-off meeting I mentioned.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I don't think Peter was pathetic at all. He's at a bit of a low point here but we know he'll climb back up.

Also, I don't see Bobbi's character as fluctuating wildly. And definitely not being a "complete POS". She gives him some affectionate ball busting and essentially tells him to start getting himself in gear. Most would not find that anything other than what any friend and/or lover would do. Pete's not going to take anything Bobbi says as mean-spirited because it clearly isn't meant to be.
    According to this issue, Peter has been at a low point for "weeks". In all that time, he's been ignoring his responsibility to what remains of his company (which was the MOST OOC part of this issue) and moping about like this is the biggest tragedy he's ever faced. That is pathetic. He hasn't even behaved like this when anyone died.

The food thing and stepping on the spider-tracer, sure, you could call affectionate/humorous. The pinning up an editorial tearing Peter a new one, on the other hand? Especially when Peter had clearly not yet recovered? Ouch. And then, later on in the issue she acts nicely again. I liked that portrayal of Bobbi, but it was quite a rapid shift.

This is a ridiculous reading of what actually happens in the issue. All of Pete's friends - especially MJ - are sympathetic to his current problems. No one makes fun of him in this issue and when recalling the last time they had to help a down and out Peter and they refurbished his pad (nice old school shout out on Slott's part), MJ simply notes that he's too old for that now and something like that would likely only be embarrassing for him, saying "Poor Petey..."

These people clearly care about Peter and aren't making fun of him in the least.
    Clearly it was enough for Peter to walk back out the door instead of stepping in. And here's a quote "Man I can't believe how badly Peter messed that all up." Hardly seems supportive. Tbh, Harry was the only one there who had anything nice to say about Peter.

The foreshadowing in this issue wasn't meant to be subtle so no one would've missed it. However, as some people - including yourself - were bitching in advance about how Slott was just going to make Peter a photographer again (despite Slott saying ahead of time that he wasn't), clearly his new position wasn't something that "everyone" saw coming.
    I think this was something in the running along with Bugle exec and photographer again for a lot of people. So yeah, it was quite obvious.

At the moment, Peter is currently dating Mockingbird - a completely new relationship for him - and is lined up to start a job at the Bugle that he's never held before. How is that keeping the character "stagnant?"
    Well, how long do you think this relationship with Mockingbird will last? 3 issues? And the new job at the Bugle basically amounts to the same thing of going to events (where villains might show up), getting yelled at for not finishing assignments, etc. for Peter. Just dressed up a bit nicer. Remember, the Legacy storyline isn't finished yet - l'm confident that once it's done, we'll be back to the same-old.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    People are just an amount of ungrateful sons of (*censored*)!!!!!!!

OK, it's true, Peter really messed up, but they only focus on his mistakes after all he has done?:
    + He stopped the zombie apocalypse from the carrion virus.
    + He helped to stop Scorpio and the zodiac.
    + He helped to free Silver Sable's country from Norman Osborn.
    + Even although it wasn't the best move, he did the right thing destroying everything in Parker Industries before Octopus AND Hydra put their tentacles on it.

And nobody recognize his success? Not even the Avengers?!!! (By the way, Parker Industries' fallout was actually Hydra Cap's fault, as far as I see). And not even his friends try to support him?!!! I know Peter doesn't do this for gratitude, but I wouldn't blame him if he decides to quit helping such a bunch of imbeciles and look only after himself from now on!!
    Honestly, the whole thing makes zero sense.

First off, going back to ASM 31 for a second - why didn't Peter send a back-up of his data off-world or something when he knew Ock was coming for him? Secondly, even assuming Peter did have to erase ALL of Parker Industries' data, why on Earth did he have to erase all the data on people's Webware devices? Did Peter store all his advanced tech schematics on people's regular Webwares? In that case, why didn't Ock just buy a WebWare for a couple hundred so he could access all the to-secret data Peter apparently put on each consumer Webware? Clearly, Peter didn't back-up his company secrets to Webwares all over the world, so why did he remotely deactivate them? He should have just deleted the schematics and stuff off of Parker Industries' secure servers, and while that would have put P.I. in a bit of a bad spot, it wouldn't have caused them to gain a bad reputation or lose all their money because of customers suing them.

Next, going back to Secret Empire, it was the US government who attacked a privately owned enterprise to steal secrets from it. Why then, is Peter not suing the US government to recoup some of the losses he is facing for destroying Parker Industries (even though he really didn't have to) to stop them?

Now coming back to this issue, if Peter is so hated, why doesn't he take a more proactive approach and schedule interviews and stuff to show his side of the story - attacked by Hydra. All of the US was under Hydra's thumb, so most people would empathize and stop hating Peter. He would also have lot's of support to rebuild Parker Industries if he did just tell the truth like that. But instead, he inexplicably hides away, telling no one what happened, and then complains when people criticize him...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    According to this issue, Peter has been at a low point for "weeks". In all that time, he's been ignoring his responsibility to what remains of his company (which was the MOST OOC part of this issue) and moping about like this is the biggest tragedy he's ever faced. That is pathetic. He hasn't even behaved like this when anyone died.

The food thing and stepping on the spider-tracer, sure, you could call affectionate/humorous. The pinning up an editorial tearing Peter a new one, on the other hand? Especially when Peter had clearly not yet recovered? Ouch. And then, later on in the issue she acts nicely again. I liked that portrayal of Bobbi, but it was quite a rapid shift.
    On the one hand, you have zero patience at all for Peter going through a bit of a depressing time, calling his behavior "pathetic." But yet on the other hand, you want to call Bobbi a POS for having the gall to bust Peter even though he has "clearly not yet recovered."

Clearly it was enough for Peter to walk back out the door instead of stepping in. And here's a quote "Man I can't believe how badly Peter messed that all up." Hardly seems supportive. Tbh, Harry was the only one there who had anything nice to say about Peter.
    He stepped back out so the situation wouldn't be awkward. He knew they weren't making fun of him but they clearly know he's at a rough point and he didn't want to walk into their conversation.

And noting how badly Peter messed things up isn't a slam and it isn't making fun of him, it's just the truth. Doesn't mean there isn't any sympathy in that statement.

I think this was something in the running along with Bugle exec and photographer again for a lot of people. So yeah, it was quite obvious.
    Not really so obvious, clearly...

Anyways, what other job COULD he take at the Bugle? Are they going to give him a reporting job despite the fact he has 0 writing experience or skill? An executive job despite the fact that he was so incompetent he managed to completely destroy a multi-billion dollar corporation in a single night (or, if we're being generous, maybe a month)? Fire Robbie and make Peter EIC just because? I mean, I guess he could always be a janitor...
    Well, how long do you think this relationship with Mockingbird will last? 3 issues? And the new job at the Bugle basically amounts to the same thing of going to events (where villains might show up), getting yelled at for not finishing assignments, etc. for Peter. Just dressed up a bit nicer. Remember, the Legacy storyline isn't finished yet - l'm confident that once it's done, we'll be back to the same-old.
    It'll be more than three issues. And It's cool to see Peter dating a member of the superhero community so I'm intrigued by where their relationship might head.

And we have no idea of how things will work with his new Bugle position yet. I expect it will be a bit different than the same old.

But if you're so confident that you know exactly what's coming up in every issue, you can definitely choose to stand by that confidence and simply stop reading.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 10-11-2017 at 01:16 PM.

I don't really get the criticism of Peter's friends criticizing Peter.
    Here's the situation, Peter willing blew-up his company so Otto couldn't take it. He always had it in his backup plans incase he couldn't stop him.
    So why the hell doesn't Peter get blame for not planning anything incase his company faltered.
    "What about wheatcakes next time?"-Peter
    "Wheatcakes are yucky."-Annie

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Honestly, the whole thing makes zero sense.

First off, going back to ASM 31 for a second - why didn't Peter send a back-up of his data off-world or something when he knew Ock was coming for him? Secondly, even assuming Peter did have to erase ALL of Parker Industries' data, why on Earth did he have to erase all the data on people's Webware devices? Did Peter store all his advanced tech schematics on people's regular Webwares? In that case, why didn't Ock just buy a WebWare for a couple hundred so he could access all the to-secret data Peter apparently put on each consumer Webware? Clearly, Peter didn't back-up his company secrets to Webwares all over the world, so why did he remotely deactivate them? He should have just deleted the schematics and stuff off of Parker Industries' secure servers, and while that would have put P.I. in a bit of a bad spot, it wouldn't have caused them to gain a bad reputation or lose all their money because of customers suing them.

Next, going back to Secret Empire, it was the US government who attacked a privately owned enterprise to steal secrets from it. Why then, is Peter not suing the US government to recoup some of the losses he is facing for destroying Parker Industries (even though he really didn't have to) to stop them?

Now coming back to this issue, if Peter is so hated, why doesn't he take a more proactive approach and schedule interviews and stuff to show his side of the story - attacked by Hydra. All of the US was under Hydra's thumb, so most people would empathize and stop hating Peter. He would also have lot's of support to rebuild Parker Industries if he did just tell the truth like that. But instead, he inexplicably hides away, telling no one what happened, and then complains when people criticize him...
    He's as human as the rest of us, or as close to that as a fictional character can get. He hid away because he was ashamed of letting down so many people, even if he had good intentions, and he was understandably hurt when the people he expected to support him as friends instead pretty much kicked him while he was already down. Still, it was a nice moment when Peter decoded the Bugle's science guy's article in a way that regular people could understand, so that would be an excellent position for him that could keep him at The Daily Bugle while also playing to his scientific acumen. It was also nice at the end when Mockingbird actually did try to help Peter out of his funk and stood up for him as Spider-Man to the citizens dumping on him while he was actively trying to save their lives.

On a different note, Harry and Liz are back together, at least in secret, and not wanting to be as open about it until they're sure they can make it work for their son Normie's sake. That's gonna lead to serious heartbreak if/when Harry finds out that Liz has been colluding with his father to create Alchemax in the first place and thus is behind a lot of Alchemax's shadier acts and activities.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    On a different note, Harry and Liz are back together, at least in secret, and not wanting to be as open about it until they're sure they can make it work for their son Normie's sake. That's gonna lead to serious heartbreak if/when Harry finds out that Liz has been colluding with his father to create Alchemax in the first place and thus is behind a lot of Alchemax's shadier acts and activities.
    I think this is what is being built up to 800. Norman and his grand plans that were hinted at the end of Superior.
    "What about wheatcakes next time?"-Peter
    "Wheatcakes are yucky."-Annie

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    I think this is what is being built up to 800. Norman and his grand plans that were hinted at the end of Superior.
    If that's the case, issue 800 is gonna be one hell of a ride.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celestin View Post
    His romance with Mockingbird could be it since he rarely dates female superheroes.

Though wasn't Dan Slott the writer who once said that he wouldn't have Peter date Captain Marvel, when someone asked about this their one-off meeting in the past, because it goes against his everyman status? It was a long time ago so I could be confusing his with someone else.
    I think you can chalk it down to Slott changing his mind. That and Marvel has been trying to push Carol as their Wonder Woman equivalent for the past half a decade, so I could see how the idea of Pete being in a relationship specifically with Carol would be considered a step too far.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Fantastic Member

I loved this issue, every panel was amazing.

Great use of the supporting cast, Peter is in an interesting new place and I really like the Mockingbird relationship. Excited to see what's coming next, I haven't enjoyed a main title issue like this since at least Superior

Spectacular Member

So Peter Parker is a human and not a machine. Eh. And he did act like this in past, you should read more stories. In fact I remember him being just as miserable he in the old story Slott alludes to in this issue.

She acted as any regular human being. You live with someone that's in a bad mood for weeks, sometimes you are supportive, sometimes you lose your tempers. Sometimes you also try to joke about his issue (unless in extreme cases like sever illness or death of a person dear to him obv) and try and alleviate the situation. Persons are not robot, they don't act like machines.

They were talking about his problems not making fun of him. Their facial expressions are serious. And the sentence you quoted it's not bad, it's just honest. Being supportive to a friend doesn't mean minimizing his errors. That would be treat him like a (spoiled) child.

In general, you must understand that in-universe Peter Parker is a character not “your favorite hero” so he is portrayed as a human being not like a fake flawless ideal of human being.

You don't know any of that.
    Last edited by SignorMiracolo; 10-11-2017 at 03:54 PM.

Picked up the issue. Overall, it was fun and hit the typical Spider-Man tropes while adding a new spin. Having Peter Parker and not Spider-Man as the hated one is something unique.

For me though, yeah, Mockingbird rubbed me the wrong way a bit. To be sure, she does seem in line with what we saw in her own title. She has very sharp wit. Plus, she tries (and succeeds) in making Parker feel better. She obviously cares for Peter. The relationship reminds me of the Spider-Man/Black Cat pairing. I do look forward to see how Peter's humor matches with Bobbi's wit.

The article on the refrigerator surrounded by "Ha Ha Ha" refrigerator magnets though?.........................I do feel that was a little hurtful. And it's something I'm not too comfortable with Bobbi, sometimes her wit can be a little too sharp.

In any case, I'm still looking forward to future issues.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    People are just an amount of ungrateful sons of (*censored*)!!!!!!!

OK, it's true, Peter really messed up, but they only focus on his mistakes after all he has done?:
    + He stopped the zombie apocalypse from the carrion virus.
    + He helped to stop Scorpio and the zodiac.
    + He helped to free Silver Sable's country from Norman Osborn.
    + Even although it wasn't the best move, he did the right thing destroying everything in Parker Industries before Octopus AND Hydra put their tentacles on it.

And nobody recognize his success? Not even the Avengers?!!! (By the way, Parker Industries' fallout was actually Hydra Cap's fault, as far as I see). And not even his friends try to support him?!!! I know Peter doesn't do this for gratitude, but I wouldn't blame him if he decides to quit helping such a bunch of imbeciles and look only after himself from now on!!
    A scene that was especially annoying this issue was that Peter basically called Robbie out on the fact that the Bugle downplayed the good that Peter had done over the fact that he crashed the company and Peter admits that Robbie was right. Alright Robbie, what if Peter hadn't stopped Doc Ock and Hydra from taking over the company and they were given access to all of Parker Industries' resources to do with what they wished? Would that have been a better option? Apparently people don't want to think of what would have happened had Peter not stopped them there.

Read it, didn't like it. Slott doesn't know how to write Peter as Peter.