Mighty Member

Default Do you think DC can make successful Animated Feature Films or TV shows?

Lets say they decide to scrap the live action universe or to transfer to animated after flashpoint so they stopped making live action movies and shows and made animated media to replace it instead

I’d welcome a theatrical animated film universe. But they should wait until Wonder Woman finishes her live action trilogy since soso far the only thing that works about the DCEU.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

I mean, they've done it before (Mask of the Phantasm, The Lego Batman Movie) and have generally had success with their DTV productions, so I don't think it's out of the question.

BANNED

I don't see why they should scrap live action movies. However, I am very open to more animated, kid-friendly films from DC.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    I don't see why they should scrap live action movies. However, I am very open to more animated, kid-friendly films from DC.
    I didn't necessarily mean kid friendly at least not anymore than say the usual animated movies they make like Year One or Under The Red Hood

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Lets say they decide to scrap the live action universe or to transfer to animated after flashpoint so they stopped making live action movies and shows and made animated media to replace it instead
    If they put all of their love, efforts and support behind them like they do all of their Batman animated projects, sure.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    I didn't necessarily mean kid friendly at least not anymore than say the usual animated movies they make like Year One or Under The Red Hood
    Lately in my opinion their animated ventures haven't been so good. Gods and Monsters, Killing Joke, and Batman & Harley Quinn were all lackluster in my opinion and I strongly dislike their New 52 inspired shared universe franchise. I don't think I've enjoyed a single film out of that. Gotham by Gaslight isn't looking so great either animation wise. We'll see though.

However, kid-friendly in my opinion is the way to go for DC. Lego Batman was amazing and stuff like that helps introduce the lesser-known comic lore to young children. It's been attempted before with little to no success but more theatrical releases could prove successful.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    If they put all of their love, efforts and support behind them like they do all of their Batman animated projects, sure.
    can you imagine one of those movies with a onehundred million dollar budget

Lately in my opinion their animated ventures haven't been so good. Gods and Monsters, Killing Joke, and Batman & Harley Quinn were all lackluster in my opinion and I strongly dislike their New 52 inspired shared universe franchise. I don't think I've enjoyed a single film out of that. Gotham by Gaslight isn't looking so great either animation wise. We'll see though.

However, kid-friendly in my opinion is the way to go for DC. Lego Batman was amazing and stuff like that helps introduce the lesser-known comic lore to young children. It's been attempted before with little to no success but more theatrical releases could prove successful.
    I thought Gods and Monsters was surprisingly strong in that list you mentioned (and the best of the Timm-directed Elseworlds films) and I think the in-continuity movies are steadily improving.

I'm also pretty hyped for Gotham by Gaslight, and I think it looks pretty spiffy .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I thought Gods and Monsters was surprisingly strong in that list you mentioned (and the best of the Timm-directed Elseworlds films) and I think the in-continuity movies are steadily improving.

I'm also pretty hyped for Gotham by Gaslight, and I think it looks pretty spiffy .
    I always appreciate your positivity Frontier. It's a good foil for my constantly negative and contentious posts. I did actually enjoy some of Gods and Monsters. The short they did with Superman and Brainiac was really good.

I always appreciate your positivity Frontier. It's a good foil for my constantly negative and contentious posts. I did actually enjoy some of Gods and Monsters. The short they did with Superman and Brainiac was really good.
    I loved that short too. Kind of sold me on the universe and it's take on Superman .

Mighty Member

I'm sure those could sell well but I don't usually find those types of movies entertaining. I'd rather they took those straight to dvd movies to the big screen. I think the quality of those movies started stagnating after Flashpoint but I don't think any of them except Killing Joke have been horrible. A larger budget and hiring more talent could take care of that though

The Timmverse DCAU proved it could work.
    I think something of that scope with the art style of Young Justice would do well.

What I would do is a Justice League series with a prelude season of solo adventures.

Season 0, 30-minute episodes
    Episodes 1-3: Batman
    Episodes 3-6: Aquaman
    Episodes 7-9: Wonder Woman
    Episodes 10-12: Flash
    Episodes 13-15: Superman
    Episodes 16-18: Justice League (forms)

Then, beginning with Season 1, expand to an hour, with the first 30 minutes a Justice League team story and the second half a solo Leaguer spotlight.
    Episode 1b: The Trinity
    Episode 2b: Green Arrow
    Episode 3b: Batman
    Episode 4b: Zatanna
    Episode 5b: Flash
    Episode 6b: Vixen
    Episode 7b: Hawkman & Hawkwoman
    Episode 8b: Superman
    Episode 9b: Booster Gold & Blue Beetle
    Episode 10b: Martian Manhunter
    Episode 11b: Wonder Woman
    Episode 12b: Atom
    Episode 13b: Green Lantern Corps
    Episode 14b: Black Canary
    Episode 15b: Aquaman
    Episode 16b-18b: Three part prelude to Season 2, featuring Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman versus villains that will form the core of the Legion of Doom (the main villains for Season 2)

Then during Season 2 the back-ups would feature solo Leaguers again, like Season 1, but will also be used to introduce the Teen Titans, the JSA, the Legion, the Outsiders, Adam Strange, etc. teaming up with the Leaguers to expand the universe.
    By the end of Season 2, fan reaction could be used to see what Leaguer or other team could spin-off into a second series.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.