I've never read a more profound start to a series than this one. I don't know Rodney Barnes, but he seems to have tapped into the minority situation enough to get at the issues, and the problems. It was a wholehearted emotional go-round that is solid Sam Wilson, and the way Sam just gets into the people's faces. Sams like his father, a preacher, in that way.

Spoilers

It's a pretty tragic situation. Sam tries to do good by the gangs in Chicago, but it all goes wrong. I don't know how he gets over this one. Sam is in Chicago and confronts the Rangers, and after a scuffle convinces them to come to a paley with the Spanish Kings. Sam goes the Mayor for police control, but the Mayor has plans another direction. Patriot confronts the Spanish Kings and it's a miracle the two sides decide to meet in the park. Sam gets the two leaders up together, but the Rangers leader paralyses Sam, and head shots the Spanish Kings leader. All hell breaks loose. Then in a back alley the Mayor turns into Blackheart.

End of Spoilers

For one of those crime-gangster stories, this has a lot of commentary from Barnes as to the hardship that leads to violence, and it almost teeters on profiling.

Another thing I never realised is that Sam thinks Steve Rogers was always Hydra Cap and that Steve betrayed Sam all these years by lying to his face. It is a very bitter Sam Wilson who says he is by himself now. He can't depend on anyone anymore. From that perspective about Steve Rogers always being Hydra, if everyone feels that was the case, then the ANAD was changed permanently to know Steve was always Hydra? That shocks me and should be spelled out more clearly if that is the case.

As for this as a Legacy opening salvo? It was pretty great. Well done Rodney Barnes. I can't think of a stronger commentary on the human condition in America than this. ASM also had good negativity about Peter Parker, but Slotts story had the lighter moment to balance the hardship. Not so Barnes' story. There is no Peter Parker levity to be found in this. This is 616 gangster Miles Morales depths of depravity needing reversal in a Chicago setting. I'm still feeling this in my gut.