Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Legacy Falcon #1 Spoilers

I've never read a more profound start to a series than this one. I don't know Rodney Barnes, but he seems to have tapped into the minority situation enough to get at the issues, and the problems. It was a wholehearted emotional go-round that is solid Sam Wilson, and the way Sam just gets into the people's faces. Sams like his father, a preacher, in that way.

Spoilers

It's a pretty tragic situation. Sam tries to do good by the gangs in Chicago, but it all goes wrong. I don't know how he gets over this one. Sam is in Chicago and confronts the Rangers, and after a scuffle convinces them to come to a paley with the Spanish Kings. Sam goes the Mayor for police control, but the Mayor has plans another direction. Patriot confronts the Spanish Kings and it's a miracle the two sides decide to meet in the park. Sam gets the two leaders up together, but the Rangers leader paralyses Sam, and head shots the Spanish Kings leader. All hell breaks loose. Then in a back alley the Mayor turns into Blackheart.

End of Spoilers

For one of those crime-gangster stories, this has a lot of commentary from Barnes as to the hardship that leads to violence, and it almost teeters on profiling.

Another thing I never realised is that Sam thinks Steve Rogers was always Hydra Cap and that Steve betrayed Sam all these years by lying to his face. It is a very bitter Sam Wilson who says he is by himself now. He can't depend on anyone anymore. From that perspective about Steve Rogers always being Hydra, if everyone feels that was the case, then the ANAD was changed permanently to know Steve was always Hydra? That shocks me and should be spelled out more clearly if that is the case.

As for this as a Legacy opening salvo? It was pretty great. Well done Rodney Barnes. I can't think of a stronger commentary on the human condition in America than this. ASM also had good negativity about Peter Parker, but Slotts story had the lighter moment to balance the hardship. Not so Barnes' story. There is no Peter Parker levity to be found in this. This is 616 gangster Miles Morales depths of depravity needing reversal in a Chicago setting. I'm still feeling this in my gut.

Not a bad issue. Really dug the art.

The thoughts on Steve was odd considering Sam knows that hydra cap was a cube alteration (Patriot even mentions this) so why would he think all of it was a lie. He gave Cap back the shield in Generations so he knows that the Cap he trusts still exists.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

Yeah, the parts about Sam believing that Steve lied to him for decades are the only part about this title I didn't buy. He seemed like he still had trust issues with Steve, but frankly I thought after the whole Generations thing they were more than good. Sort of made all that pointless.

Outside of that, it was a great issue. And I think Falcon facing off against Black Heart should be darn interesting, since on paper he no chance whatsoever of dealing with such a powerful threat. But that's what makes it fun.

You don't get murderous gangs to shake hands and make peace. You send them to jail. Sam shouldn't be stupid enough to try that. Like the new costume a lot, but the story was very disappointing IMO.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Ultimate Member

Very very gritty book.

I actually loved it except for the whole "Steve lied to me for decades" bit. I'm not entirely sure where that's coming from.

I like that Barnes is re-grounding the character and is building up from the ground up. The new bullet proof suit is a very welcome development.

I don't like that Blackheart is apparently the villain here, he seemed to be everywhere some months ago.

Spectacular Member

I don't think the sequence means Falcon believes or consider Steve to be a liar or traitor, that's made clear by Patriot saying something along the lines of «we know it's been a cosmic cube messing with reality». It's more about the experience that Sam had, and the things he saw when Hydra raised and Steve was believed to be Hydra. Even if it all happened because of the cosmic cube, he learned the lesson that believing, and contributing to the belief, that a single person or idea can be perfect and flawless can lead to negative outcomes. Like the government thinking it's a good idea to give all the power to a single person or the people believing that if Captain America says something doesn't automatically means he and what he says are always right.

BANNED

man what a unpredictable arc always flip flopping between Hydra cap being or not being the real Steve . it looks like the story of jean. a cosmic force bequeathed a blessing in saving them both from certain death and in granting them power/restoring them but it turned out to be a wish made on a monkeys paw as it created their doppelgangers who though themselves the real deal and indeed were to a certain extent but the original article returned after incubating in a lonely place and resumed their lives but people are still confusing the two and cant decide whether it was a doppelganger who commited tge horrible atrocities or it was the real deal committing them.it was a development I thought we would see in generations where he looks at him with suspicion initially and then going on to accepting him and trusting him once again but it was a full of feel good moments issue but maybe Sam was feeling that way cuz I guess kobik was using her power to make him feel a certain way and now that she has vanished her influence also seems to have diminished and Sam is looking at Steve suspiciously and wondering if Hydra cap is the real cap. It should be resolved or else it will become different things to different writers like jean being or not being the Phoenix when she destroyed a planet. This could mean that Steve could become a hollow person with serious mental problems as to the nature of his reality and the possibility that the hydra cap is the real steve conundrum preying on his mind could end up destroying his peace of mind forever much like the enforced drama between peter and his clone brother ben as to who is is the real person. it could devolve the character into a sentry like problematic character as writers could write Hydra cap if he is further used as the real cap and the cached cap as a construct of kobik that is not real if they have to force angst in caps story. I don't think they will go to such extremes but then I didn't think that there would ever be a secret empire storyline with alt cap in charge instead of being on the opposing side.

BANNED

It wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. There was such a strong premise with Sam becoming Cap but I can't help but feel like this is a downgrade. I can only hope that Sam continues to have meaningful interactions with characters of the MU. Also kinda need an arc with Vulture at some point xD

Still bothered by the All-New Patriot. I would much rather have had Eli Bradley fill this role as I was already invested in his character, whereas Rayshaun is new, uninspired and indifferent. I'll give him time but I feel it was the wrong move to make

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by King_Thor13 View Post
    Still bothered by the All-New Patriot. I would much rather have had Eli Bradley fill this role as I was already invested in his character, whereas Rayshaun is new, uninspired and indifferent. I'll give him time but I feel it was the wrong move to make
    They can't use the older Patriot anymore due to legal problems with the family's creator.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    You don't get murderous gangs to shake hands and make peace. You send them to jail. Sam shouldn't be stupid enough to try that. Like the new costume a lot, but the story was very disappointing IMO.
    Sam Wilson is the kind of socially aware hero that would attempt to get opposing gang members to seek more productive and socially acceptable position in life so I for one, see nothing wrong with the approach he took within the story as presented.

We have gang outreach initiatives in the real world, geared towards steering disadvantaged youths away from gang membership/activity so having Sam operating on this premise is logical unless one is of the mindset that such individuals are beyond redemption.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Sam Wilson is the kind of socially aware hero that would attempt to get opposing gang members to seek more productive and socially acceptable position in life so I for one, see nothing wrong with the approach he took within the story as presented.

We have gang outreach initiatives in the real world, geared towards steering disadvantaged youths away from gang membership/activity so having Sam operating on this premise is logical unless one is of the mindset that such individuals are beyond redemption.
    Right. The idea that everyone that gets into crimes he's “evil” or “bad” is really naive and it's refreshing to see a comic book don't taking a reductive b&w «punch the evil criminals» approach. It especially make sense for a character like Sam that has a background as a social worker and had a pastor as father.

Quote Originally Posted by SignorMiracolo View Post
    Right. The idea that everyone that gets into crimes he's “evil” or “bad” is really naive and it's refreshing to see a comic book don't taking a reductive b&w «punch the evil criminals» approach. It especially make sense for a character like Sam that has a background as a social worker and had a pastor as father.
    Except Sam's pastor father was killed by gang members.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Except Sam's pastor father was killed by gang members.
    All the more reason to try and find a solution to the cycle of violence.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Hahahaha

Not even lying. Throughout my life i've always had a recurring dream of writing a Batman story dealing with gang life and intertwined with Tim Drake mixed up with a few gangs and to bring the super-hero into gang life. I knew i'd never write this story it was just something in my head that i thought would be intriguing.

This is the closest thing i've seen to that exact vision in comic pages. Not Batman but it's still pretty darn close.

Quite intriguing. Hope the book does well.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Thor13 View Post
    It wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. There was such a strong premise with Sam becoming Cap but I can't help but feel like this is a downgrade. I can only hope that Sam continues to have meaningful interactions with characters of the MU. Also kinda need an arc with Vulture at some point xD

If they can't use Eli and the Bradleys for creator owned reasons, a new Patriot is better than no Patriot I guess. It's a shame though, cause I liked Eli too.