Default Advice about comics collection loss and insurance claims

I'm or sure where to post this question; so let me know if there is somewhere more appropriate. But here goes:

I lost around 200 individual comics from my collection due to flooding during hurricane Harvey. I'm in the process of cataloging the overall loss of home contents to submit for the insurance claim; but I'm grappling with how to list the comics among the losses.

I've always collected just for the enjoyment of it, and never took the steps of having my collection appraised or insured separately. Additionally, none the lost issues were anything spectacular in terms of value from what can see, other than that of the cover price. Does anyone have any personal experience or advice for how to deal with lost/damaged comics on an insurance claim?

Just curious.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

If you have books of any value or just a significant value collectively you should have what an Insurance Company calls a "Rider Policy".
    They have these for items such as Wedding Rings and Guns for example. Depending on the terms of the Policy it may require semi-regular appraisals to make sure the value is up to date.

Otherwise at best you are likely to get a percentage of what the last know MSRP was on anything you submit to the insurance company. They aren't going to care about OOP and after market value unless you have a special "Rider Policy".
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

We do have a rider for our wedding rings and some other special items; but since I never got around to having the collection appraised, it's not on the policy.

Since I've photographed the covers, my thoughts are to document the lost issues at the original cover price. As you said, I will likely just get a percentage of the original MSRP. Looking over the issues that were lost; I think I can live with that.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex