It's been coming up in multiple threads in any number of ways. It's caused a lot of discussions that have derailed entire threads. But given recent Marvel news, the discussion was inevitable so I think it's time we discuss it more seriously.

I'm talking about the Cyclops/Jean Grey/Wolverine love triangle, one of the most divisive, infuriating, and frustrating discussions in all of X-men, if not all of Marvel comics. With both Jean Grey and Wolverine coming back from the dead, it's somewhat unavoidable. I know there are people on this board who are ardent Cyclops/Jean fans. I also know people who are ardent Wolverine/Jean fans. I don't think there's a way to convince either one to change their sentiments so I'm not going to try. Instead, I want to use this thread for something more productive. Specifically, I'd like to focus on how this god-awful love triangle can finally be resolved. Most fans know the history of these characters, going back to the early Uncanny X-men days and the Chris Claremont era. I don't think we need to re-hash those old rants. So let's try and look to the future.

How can this love triangle be resolved? How can Marvel play this frustrating drama out in a way that won't alienate a huge segment of fans? It seems impossible because either Cyclops/Jean fans will be disappointed or Jean/Wolverine fans will be disappointed. It seems as though someone has to lose. Well, I'm of the opinion that when you're writing about a fictional universe, there are more solutions than you think.

With that in mind, I'd like to start the discussion by pitching my own solution to the love triangle. Specifically, I say that to give all fans at least some of what they want, Cyclops/Jean Grey/Wolverine should become Marvel's first polyamorous relationship. I know some have joked about it, but I think it's worth taking seriously. In recent years, Marvel has shown a willingness to explore non-traditional relationships. They even celebrated a same-sex marriage back in 2012. I don't think a polyamorous relationship would be too taboo. They do happen in the real world. Granted, they're not as mainstream as same-sex relationships, but that may change in the coming years. I think Marvel could really break new ground if they made an effort to build a more complex relationship between these three characters.

While I'm sure some fans will roll their eyes at the notion, I still think it's worth discussing. On my publishing blog, I did a much lengthier post about why Cyclops/Jean/Wolverine is a prime candidate for a polyamorous relationship. If you're interested, here's the link:

However, I want to open this thread up to other potential resolutions. Is there another way for Marvel to resolve this overplayed love triangle in a way that won't upset a huge chunk of their audience? If you have an idea, I think it should be discussed. There are some genuinely creative people on this message board. Let's see what we can come up with.