Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Resolving The Cyclops/Jean Grey/Wolverine Love Triangle Discussion

It's been coming up in multiple threads in any number of ways. It's caused a lot of discussions that have derailed entire threads. But given recent Marvel news, the discussion was inevitable so I think it's time we discuss it more seriously.

I'm talking about the Cyclops/Jean Grey/Wolverine love triangle, one of the most divisive, infuriating, and frustrating discussions in all of X-men, if not all of Marvel comics. With both Jean Grey and Wolverine coming back from the dead, it's somewhat unavoidable. I know there are people on this board who are ardent Cyclops/Jean fans. I also know people who are ardent Wolverine/Jean fans. I don't think there's a way to convince either one to change their sentiments so I'm not going to try. Instead, I want to use this thread for something more productive. Specifically, I'd like to focus on how this god-awful love triangle can finally be resolved. Most fans know the history of these characters, going back to the early Uncanny X-men days and the Chris Claremont era. I don't think we need to re-hash those old rants. So let's try and look to the future.

How can this love triangle be resolved? How can Marvel play this frustrating drama out in a way that won't alienate a huge segment of fans? It seems impossible because either Cyclops/Jean fans will be disappointed or Jean/Wolverine fans will be disappointed. It seems as though someone has to lose. Well, I'm of the opinion that when you're writing about a fictional universe, there are more solutions than you think.

With that in mind, I'd like to start the discussion by pitching my own solution to the love triangle. Specifically, I say that to give all fans at least some of what they want, Cyclops/Jean Grey/Wolverine should become Marvel's first polyamorous relationship. I know some have joked about it, but I think it's worth taking seriously. In recent years, Marvel has shown a willingness to explore non-traditional relationships. They even celebrated a same-sex marriage back in 2012. I don't think a polyamorous relationship would be too taboo. They do happen in the real world. Granted, they're not as mainstream as same-sex relationships, but that may change in the coming years. I think Marvel could really break new ground if they made an effort to build a more complex relationship between these three characters.

While I'm sure some fans will roll their eyes at the notion, I still think it's worth discussing. On my publishing blog, I did a much lengthier post about why Cyclops/Jean/Wolverine is a prime candidate for a polyamorous relationship. If you're interested, here's the link:

However, I want to open this thread up to other potential resolutions. Is there another way for Marvel to resolve this overplayed love triangle in a way that won't upset a huge chunk of their audience? If you have an idea, I think it should be discussed. There are some genuinely creative people on this message board. Let's see what we can come up with.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Great, another topic on the matter.

There's nothing to resolve, they all have other love interests, keep them away from each other romantically and sexually.

If Marvel wants triangles keep the Jean/logan/Storm. But don't even think to put scott again to this mess. Enough is enough

Let's just hope we get Cyke back and that Emma doesnt stay a villain.
    Rant
    Jean really is the worst character in Marvel, isn't she?
    Scemma forever Triangle never.
    Scott needs an alpha female like Bettsy.
    What woman wouldn't be attracted to Scott? He's 100% alpha male who tells the Avengers to go f*#& themselves.
    I want cyclops back free from any ginger women to be his own man.
    Logically..
    TeenClops should have lusted for Emma & Cuckoos. Especially Stepford Cuckoos! They're teenage triplet clones of his hottest ex, how could he not be?
    End of rant

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    With that in mind, I'd like to start the discussion by pitching my own solution to the love triangle. Specifically, I say that to give all fans at least some of what they want, Cyclops/Jean Grey/Wolverine should become Marvel's first polyamorous relationship.
    No
    لا
    没有
    Ne
    Nee
    Non
    Nein
    Οχι
    न****************ं
    Uimh
    ノー
    nullum
    Não
    Chan eil
    žiadny
    نہیں
    Cha

Amazing Member

It's not that easy to cure cancer you know?

She's not even back yet but people are already pushing for her falling into the arms of one the two males running after her...
    That's beyond appaling, reductive and cliché.
    I want her to walk away from that putrid perspective of à new life, she has better things to do than being some prize to be won over imo.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

I did roll my eyes at that polyamorous suggestion btw, it feels like straight out of a fan-fiction.
    Just no.
    Have Jean and the two others stay away from each other romantically, it's not that complicated, Logan and Scott have been with other women for years after her death.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

Quote Originally Posted by oldscottsummers View Post
    If Marvel wants triangles keep the Jean/logan/Storm. But don't even think to put scott again to this mess. Enough is enough

Let's just hope we get Cyke back and that Emma doesnt stay a villain.
    Why move only one character from the triangle for replace him with an other character. Especially when this character has been in THE most important love relationship in the book since the beginning. I mean we know that when Scott will come back he will probably try to go back to Jean and probably Jean too (and I don't say that as a Jott fan that's way to obvious that they'll try). So if someone need to be move from the love triangle it would be Logan. Except they might be together during the time Cyke is dead and Logan will not take well that.

So even if I hate it, I think they need to make Logan and Jean a thing at one point and make the two characters understand (especially Logan since he is the problem in the case of this triangle) that it's not what he wanted, that she is not for him (he is the Bond of X-Men, the guy we get laid with every girl he want and he is a loner make him in a long relationship as the same level of Scott and Jean will change him to much about that and probably kill somes parts who made him what he is.

Then the two of them (especially Logan as always) will move on. And yes, my point is probably to make Jean and Scott a thing again. I know a lot of Emma fans and the hardcore Rightclops fans (who hate the old boyscout Scott) will hate this. But it seems that Emma has been out of the pic for Scott since a little time. They broke up etc.. And Emma kind of rebecoming a villain/anti-hero (where she is better in my opinion but that's not the point) with the return of Jean even if Scott is dead I think she'll know that she'll need to move on because she know that Scott will try to go back to Jean (especially with Emma has did bullshit in his name and what she is doing).
    Jean we don't know how she will feel but in Endsong she was back for Scott in the first place (see her talk with the Phoenix Force). The only who could change that is what he did after. But what he did in AvX but she is probably one of the few people who can understand what happened to Scott in this.
    And Logan who love her but only as always she don't love him the same way (always has the mutual attraction but this never has been love).

So that's my only way to stop this shitty love triangle. I don't if they will try to do it because they think it sell when everyone hate it.

They could have stopped it after the wedding but Morisson changed everything again (because of the other shitty """love""" triangle).

But will see how it goes in the far future but the idea of the polyamorous relationship is really meh in my opinion especially with Scott and Logan.

And yes there is the Jean go away from them but I don't sre her do it for Scott and I'm sure Marvel will not do it.

But I want to see her try with someone or single else especially since Scott is dead. But not Logan, never.. (but here again Marvel probably...)

BANNED

let's frist ask good story from marvel. Then we will see...

Unfortunately, if they tried your suggestion, it wouldn't ring true. I don't mind Scogan, but even if you could maneuver the three of them in such a way, the characters would have to be written out of character. It wouldn't be polyamourous, Jean would simply have two boyfriends.

And don't worry, People of the Earth, I don't think anyone wants Jean in a relationship immediately, but it's bound to happen. Besides, Scott isn't an option, editorial is gonna find a way to keep Jean from bringing him back.

I do not think Marvel have interest in resolving this situation. Because this triangle is a source of drama and attracts fans. Probably the characters will continue on this wheel with a period of separation just to get back together again.

About polyamorous relationship doubt whether Logan or Cyclops are interested in sharing Jean or any woman. It just would not work both are conservative and too proud to accept this.

Personally would have Jean move on with a new romantic interest the same to Logan and Cyclops.

It is past the time these characters realize that this triangle does not work and move on. And say the same about Kitty and Colossus.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

no more love triangles please
    let jean explore other relationships now that scott is dead. (i still hope jean/scott can get back together in the future)

Quote Originally Posted by Dethi View Post
    I mean we know that when Scott will come back he will probably try to go back to Jean and probably Jean too (and I don't say that as a Jott fan that's way to obvious that they'll try).

And yes, my point is probably to make Jean and Scott a thing again. I know a lot of Emma fans and the hardcore Rightclops fans (who hate the old boyscout Scott) will hate this. But it seems that Emma has been out of the pic for Scott since a little time. They broke up etc.. And Emma kind of rebecoming a villain/anti-hero (where she is better in my opinion but that's not the point) with the return of Jean even if Scott is dead I think she'll know that she'll need to move on because she know that Scott will try to go back to Jean (especially with Emma has did bullshit in his name and what she is doing).

This is meant as a sarcastic joke right.... at least I hope it is...

Reminder that Emma did nothing wrong and everything she's doing is for the survival, unity, and proliferation of her people.

And everyone with taste ships Rightclops with Maria Hill
    Even Jean wanted him to be with Emma in the end.
    I like Scott and Emma together, and I think their relationship made the most sense out of all of the x-relationships. They're almost complete opposites that brought out the best in each other and elevated each other's storylines
    Rant
    Jean really is the worst character in Marvel, isn't she?
    Scemma forever Triangle never.
    Scott needs an alpha female like Bettsy.
    What woman wouldn't be attracted to Scott? He's 100% alpha male who tells the Avengers to go f*#& themselves.
    I want cyclops back free from any ginger women to be his own man.
    Logically..
    TeenClops should have lusted for Emma & Cuckoos. Especially Stepford Cuckoos! They're teenage triplet clones of his hottest ex, how could he not be?
    End of rant