Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Welcome to the forums

So, currently in Rebirth the biggest event is DC Metal, do I understand what is going on? Not exactly, but they explain it in the plot. It's basically an event that shows two things: Scott Snyder's love for Batman and Snyder's love for horror stories, the Batman who Laughs being clearly based off Hellraiser's Cenobites, if I'm going to be honest, I'm more about the Dark Knights than anything, but the event has been enjoyable so far. Here is a list of the tie-ins and one shots.

Superman and Action have been solid so far, Superman has lowered own the quality a bit, but Tomasi and Gleason have done a decent job showing the adventures of Superman and his offspring Jon, Action is more Supes-oriented and starts slowly but it becomes better, all you need to know is that this was the post-crisis Superman and the n52 Superman died.

I am reading Batman only for the wedding even if I know it won't last, and if you want a point to start, I'd recommend War of Jokes and Riddles, even if the end was a bit underwhelming.

Wonder Woman by Rucka I consider it a good read, nowhere as good as his first run but still better than what we had in the n52 (in my opinion).

Now, about the n52 (the event before rebirth/the reboot) some things have stayed in canon while others have not. I enjoyed Joker: Endgame by Snyder, but that's because I had it on trade (and even though I don't like when jOkEr TaLks lIkE tHiS, I considered it decent...whatever came after not as much). My favorite comics of this era was Batman and Robin from Tomasi and Gleason and Robin: Son of Batman from Gleason. Gleason and Tomasi are the ones that are currently on the Super-title.

Pre-Flashpoint has it's ups and downs, but depending of the hero you're interested in, I can recommend.

New Teen Titans by Wolfmann and Perez, I read it until The Judas Contract, and it was a very enjoyable read, you get badass moments like Dick hanging out the green leathers to become Nightwing, Wally is a pain on this, so read Flash: by Mark Waid to get a more enjoyable portrayal.
    JLA by Morrison: I just started reading it and it's great!
    Wonder Woman by Greg Rucka: My favorite run is Phil's, but his run isn't collected completely yet Byrne is for some reason. But Rucka is wonderful, I consider it the natural evolution of Wonder Woman by George Perez (that I recommend too, but it might be too much dialogue if you're not into that) and the fact it didn't end like Rucka wanted to...a loss of potential.
    Young Justice by Peter David does a great job in setting up the second generation of sidekicks, it might be "too 90s" at times, but if you want a good, fun read, there is YJ.
    Teen Titans v3 by Geoff Johns: Now, Assam will disagree on me with this , because the characterization of the YJ team is...quite debatable to say at least, but if you want some "serious" comic, it has plenty of serious moments and badass ones too, like the fight with Dr. Light. It went down after IC and when it started to get better we got rebooted. Still, it was the first trade I got, and I liked it for what it was
    Death of Superman, Funeral for a Friend, Reign of the Supermen and Return are considered classic Superman stories.
    Gail Simone's Birds of Prey is considered one of the best all female superhero teams, I consider the quality went down a notch after she left the first time. But still, it was wonderful.
    Gotham City Sirens by Dini (I think) it was also one of the first comics I read, and I considered it fantastic too.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Okay... a lot to untangle here.
    You're right that I was out of line. I was out of line and unfair in my post. Apologies, truly.

see previous post
    I agree. I wanted to say all those things to @BatmanJones, but I did feel like doing it yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    As for non-event books, here are my favorites in order:
    1. (TIE) Batman by Tom King and Mister Miracle by Tom King - both as good as comic books get
    3. Deathstroke
    4. Wonder Woman (Rucka's run was great but just ended - Robinson's run seems pretty good so far, two issues in)
    5. Detective Comics (started very strong, lulled a little, very strong again)
    6. Green Lanterns by Humphries (his run is ending, can't vouch for the next run by Seeley)
    As for "Tom King" on Batman, he has some unseen ideas, but they are all fishy. "I am Gotham" started interresting but continued on being just an ok read. I liked the monsters thing, even if events were totaly unbelievable and resovle too quickly and too easily. "I am Bane" started out not so good will lots of incoherent things and I haven't finished reading it yet. They are not reads that when you finish an arc you go "wow that was unbelievably awasome".

Deathstroke is a complicated story to read with constant back and forth between the present and the past. With lots of relationships and characters. It's not badly written but I don't take as much fun reading it as i have on other comics before.

Concerning Wonder Woman I don't know.

Detective Comics didn't start very strong at all ! Look for Aquaman for a strong start !

Green Lanterns is also a good read but a bit confusing if you haven't read the New52. There are lots of laterns, they are in a strange situation, you don't know much about who is really Sinestro, ... It's not a good choice at all for a beginner.

You're a screenwriting student I think. If that's so get used to critics. I've been artistic director of a successful theatre for 25 years. They are a part of the life. And no one of them is really instructive but when there's a mass movement it's worth considering that maybe, just maybe, there's something there that (if you're not digging it) you're missing out on.

I go way out of my way to say that all responses to art are subjective and so they're all "correct." But, though I know this will be much more dismissive of differing opinions on this one here than before, I would be lying if I didn't say that I completely believe that those that aren't digging King's Batman aren't digging it because they don't understand it.

Working in theatre, and mostly gravitating toward absurdists and experimental writers, I'm used to work being ahead of its time and confounding critics and audiences alike. I'm reminded that the American premiere of Waiting for Godot, which theatre writers recently voted the most important play of the 20th century, had audiences walking out in droves and it was roundly panned by everyone as the dumbest thing they'd ever seen.

I think a lot about early responses to Beckett's groundbreaking work when I see people dismissing King's Batman. Because I know it's ahead of its time and I know that the main reason for any negative responses to it are the result of the writer being way out in front of his audience.

Tom King's Batman WILL be a legendary run. It just will be. You don't need to agree. No one does.

I referenced the critics to leaven the incredible number of people posting here that just don't understand what King's cooking. I thought it was important that OP knew that your strongly held position (which you never miss a chance to express just as I never miss the chance to express the opposite) understood that you are an incredibly prolific poster with tastes that are not common to most comic book readers.

How many people do you think have Puckett's Cassandra Cain Batgirl as their favorite storyline ever? I'd guess the answer is one: you.

The books you love are generally regarded to have been minor arcs. And you hate with a passion many stories that are roundly agreed upon as many of the best runs ever.

You're also a favorite poster of mine so I don't mean to be insulting, but OP should know that you have strange tastes so he doesn't mistake them for being anything like any other reader's.

And you're the only poster here that cares more about characters than creators, which is plain proof that your reasons for loving or hating a thing have nothing to do with the quality and everything to do with your peculiar tastes.
    I'm into a lot of counterculture stuff in various mediums from music to movies, paintings and writings, etc... and Tom King's Batman isn't even close to that. It tries so hard to be edgy and the most clever person in the room and counterculture but it's actually more like Miley Cyrus rebelling against her Disney roots after listening to a Velvet Underground album as if she's the first person to ever hear it or something. I can guarantee with absolute faith that this isn't a case of said person ahead of their time and people not getting their genius. King's the type of artist critics love and safe people who think they're "different" or want to be different cuz bored of their normal existence flock to because it's the safe different that allows these people to buy into the idea that they're a part of something "different", against the sheep culture but really they aren't any different. Just another form.

There's been a counterculture comix scene since way back in the day from early on in comic history, there's been the same from way earlier in music and books and painting. Nothing Tom King is doing is revolutionary or different. It's not Basquiat where people are finally going to wake up years later and cry out, "BAT...CAT....CAT...BAT!" i get it! Tears streaming down their face. "How i didn't see this genius before."

His Batman is simply boring and useless. And he's trying so very hard to make his mark on the Batman legacy as if it's his and not Batman. I don't give a damn about Tom King. I'm here for Batman and the world of Gotham. NEXT writer, please. Thanks. Looking forward to forgetting Tom King's Batman.
    Last edited by SXVA; 10-13-2017 at 01:23 AM.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post

Green Lanterns is also a good read but a bit confusing if you haven't read the New52. There are lots of laterns, they are in a strange situation, you don't know much about who is really Sinestro, ... It's not a good choice at all for a beginner.
    You're thinking of Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps. Green Lanterns is very new reader friendly, focusing just on rookies Simon and Jessica on Earth. There's actually a poster here who ONLY reads Green Lanterns, and it's the only DC book they've ever regularly read I believe. While I don't know what Seeley will do (I'm not expecting good things), I think Humphries' run has been amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by SXVA View Post
    I'm into a lot of counterculture stuff in various mediums from music to movies, paintings and writings, etc... and Tom King's Batman isn't even close to that. It tries so hard to be edgy and the most clever person in the room and counterculture but it's actually more like Miley Cyrus rebelling against her Disney roots after listening to a Velvet Underground album as if she's the first person to ever hear it or something. I can guarantee with absolute faith that this isn't a case of said person ahead of their time and people not getting their genius. King's the type of artist critics love and safe people who think they're "different" or want to be different cuz bored of their normal existence flock to because it's the safe different that allows these people to buy into the idea that they're a part of something "different", against the sheep culture but really they aren't any different. Just another form.

There's been a counterculture comix scene since way back in the day from early on in comic history, there's been the same from way earlier in music and books and painting. Nothing Tom King is doing is revolutionary or different. It's not Basquiat where people are finally going to wake up years later and cry out, "BAT...CAT....CAT...BAT!" i get it! Tears streaming down their face. "How i didn't see this genius before." .
    I'm not an expert on counterculture and I had a lot of other things to talk about so I didn't go this angle, but very well said.

You're right that I was out of line. I was out of line and unfair in my post. Apologies, truly.
    Apology accepted.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SXVA View Post
    His Batman is simply boring and useless. And he's trying so very hard to make his mark on the Batman legacy as if it's his and not Batman. I don't give a damn about Tom King. I'm here for Batman and the world of Gotham. NEXT writer, please. Thanks. Looking forward to forgetting Tom King's Batman.
    Well, that's precisely what he's doing. Last I checked, every issue had Batman and some Gotham characters in it.

Leaving a legacy on Batman is something every writer who comes on for a long stretch tries to do. It's part of what their being paid for. Maybe it's not as brilliant as some make it out to be, but I think it stands out among most of the Rebirth books and even most runs on Batman, especially recent stuff like Snyder's. He has also not done anything of lasting damage thus far, unless you count Holly Robinson, and even then she's not a major character who anyone as done anything interesting with in recent memory. I think this is the most anyone has talked about her...ever.

The Bat/Cat thing can be a little silly, but otherwise I find complaints about his dialogue to be overblown.

You're thinking of Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps. Green Lanterns is very new reader friendly, focusing just on rookies Simon and Jessica on Earth. There's actually a poster here who ONLY reads Green Lanterns, and it's the only DC book they've ever regularly read I believe. While I don't know what Seeley will do (I'm not expecting good things), I think Humphries' run has been amazing.
    Seeley's one of my favorite writers in the industry, so may I ask why you have this impression? For me he's never produced anything that hasn't at least been solid. If you're only taking his Nightwing work into consideration, that's on the weaker end of the spectrum and probably due to the inherent weakness of the Bludhaven status quo being forced upon him. I'd recommend checking out is Image stuff like Hack/Slash and Revival for a better impression of him. I also think he produced the some of better Eternal issues, though that's not saying much with his competition.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Seeley's one of my favorite writers in the industry, so may I ask why you have this impression? For me he's never produced anything that hasn't at least been solid. If you're only taking his Nightwing work into consideration, that's on the weaker end of the spectrum and probably due to the inherent weakness of the Bludhaven status quo being forced upon him. I'd recommend checking out is Image stuff like Hack/Slash and Revival for a better impression of him. I also think he produced the some of better Eternal issues, though that's not saying much with his competition.
    I've read his Nightwing and a couple issues of Grayson. I'll take your word about his Image stuff, but for now, I don't exactly have a positive impression, nor does his writing in those books inspire confidence that he'll have a good handle on things such as Jessica's anxiety (Which Humphries has presented brilliantly). Of course, I'm more than willing to be proven wrong about this come Wednesday.

Personally, I don't think King is going for "counter-culture" with his Batman run.
    I've read his Nightwing and a couple issues of Grayson. I'll take your word about his Image stuff, but for now, I don't exactly have a positive impression, nor does his writing in those books inspire confidence that he'll have a good handle on things such as Jessica's anxiety (Which Humphries has presented brilliantly). Of course, I'm more than willing to be proven wrong about this come Wednesday.
    Well, if Seely handles it a little differently it might be because Humphries left Jessica in a place where she was, to some extent, better able to manage it and be more active as a GL.

But I doubt he'll just completely drop it.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Recommending Titans or Teen Titans is like someone new to movies asks you for a good movie and you hand him/her Ghost Rider, clap him/her on the shoulder and tell him "Have a good time, pal". If a franchise hasn't had a good run in years... maybe decades even...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Personally, I don't think King is going for "counter-culture" with his Batman run.
    Nobody does. That post was a straw man.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Recommending Titans or Teen Titans is like someone new to movies asks you for a good movie and you hand him/her Ghost Rider, clap him/her on the shoulder and tell him "Have a good time, pal". If a franchise hasn't had a good run in years... maybe decades even...
    I disagree, the current runs are not trash.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    I disagree, the current runs are not trash.
    Maybe not trash but competent at best. There's just so much more better DC comics right now.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Well, that's precisely what he's doing. Last I checked, every issue had Batman and some Gotham characters in it.

Leaving a legacy on Batman is something every writer who comes on for a long stretch tries to do. It's part of what their being paid for. Maybe it's not as brilliant as some make it out to be, but I think it stands out among most of the Rebirth books and even most runs on Batman, especially recent stuff like Snyder's. He has also not done anything of lasting damage thus far, unless you count Holly Robinson, and even then she's not a major character who anyone as done anything interesting with in recent memory. I think this is the most anyone has talked about her...ever.

The Bat/Cat thing can be a little silly, but otherwise I find complaints about his dialogue to be overblown.
    Nahhhhh. There's a difference between a writer excited to be on one of the biggest titles and to get a chance to contribute to that legacy as most writers, and someone trying hard to make their own legacy.

Basically what i'm trying to get across in that post is no writer is bigger than Batman/Superman, etc... it's not about these writers or their legacy it's about Batman. And you can see the big difference even in the discussion surrounding this Tom King Batman how it's more about what Tom King is doing with Batman seemingly every time i've seen than about Batman and Gotham. There's going to be some focus on the writer and what's going on with the character under their leadership naturally but not like this. In the Batman mythos and legacy the writer shouldn't dominate and be at the center in which that alone is evident how turned around it is. The whole vibe, it completely turns me off of it. Like i said, i'm here for Batman and not for Tom King. If i can continuously see Tom King in the work and not Batman then i get a feeling of that work being corrupt, ie, it's this writer's legacy and not Batman.

To use an example. I've been reading Batman stories recently by Alan Grant and i never get that vibe at all. It's simply Batman who i'm connecting to and Batman's legacy. Similarly, recently reading some Chris Claremont on Wolverine. There's a pure reverence or humility there in the work or something like that. I don't know how to describe it exactly. Just a feel or connection i get when immersing myself.

As to the counterculture thing, i wasn't implying it's something he's trying to do intentionally. Maybe/maybe not. As seen in the post i responded to, there's a sentiment that King is ahead of his time and his work will eventually be regarded as genius. This is a common theme with legends of counterculture who oftentimes aren't recognized as such in their time. There's also sentiment and regard of his work being "different" which again is a recurring theme. Some of his work is different than a paint by numbers/cookie cutter but i'm just pointing out or attempting to... that while it might be different to this, going against the grain and all of that has been around for a long, long time... and much more so than what's seen here.

Well, anyway. I've already dedicated more attention to Tom King's Batman than i desired. I said my peace on it and expressed myself and the only thing i can really do now is wait for a change or look to other things which i've been doing. Too each their own, i suppose.
    Last edited by SXVA; 10-15-2017 at 03:17 AM.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs125 View Post
    I want to be able to read the major events, currently reading blackest night have my eye set on war of lanterns.
    Any recommendations will be appreciated
    DC's events are usually pretty damn good. I haven't gotten to in depth into the tie-ins for most of these (because time consuming), but I'm a sucker for DC's major events. Here's a quick run-down of DC's "modern" (since 2004) events.
    Identity Crisis- It's a completely standalone story that set the stage for a shift in tone during the years to come. I loved it, although it gets a lot of hate for being really dark and violent.
    Infinite Crisis- This is the de facto sequel to Crisis on Infinite Earths (which I have not read). It's a little over-the-top, but it's a fun read.
    Final Crisis- Grant Morrison meta-weirdness. It's about Darkseid trying to destroy reality. Can't say I'm a fan.
    Blackest Night- I've heard the GL and GLC tie-ins are just as good, in case you're curious.
    Flashpoint- Flash messes up and changes the universe. This was the inception of the New 52.
    Forever Evil- The Crime Syndicate (evil JL) takes over the world and imprisons the heroes. Lex, Bizarro, Captain Cold, and others have to team up to defeat them. It's fantastic. I have actually read the tie-ins for this, and I would say that JL is really the only one worth reading. Rogues Rebellion was okay.
    Convergence- This one's bad. Highly recommend that you stay away. It's essentially the same plot as Secret Wars.
    DCU Rebirth- Not technically an event on the same level as these other stories, but still very important and really good. It's sort of a prelude to everything that happens during Rebirth, specifically Doomsday Clock. The Button (Flash/Batman crossover) is a sort of sequel, if you're interested.
    Justice League vs. Suicide Squad- A surprisingly fun hero vs. villain story with great characterization and really good tie-ins. Seriously, don't read this without the JL and SS issues.
    Dark Nights: Metal- This is happening right now, and it's amazing. If you're interested, just go pick up Metal #1.

please mention the reading order too
    The events I listed are in chronological order. If you want specifics, I recommend ComicBookHerald or even just Wikipedia.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers