Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Default Ragman...the new adventures

Forgive me if there is already a thread for this series, I have not found it. It was an interesting start and the art was quite nice, however I do not like the re-imagining of the suit. He looks like a cross between Spider-Man and the Mummy now. Any others have thoughts?

I prefer his Shadowpact look, but I am not opposed to this look. The art is decent enough to capture my interest. The whole storyline so far, however, reminds me of Dead Of Night: Devil-Slayer from Marvel a few years back. Hopefully the series will veer away from that, but that's my thought so far. I'm liking it enough to come back for more, though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I do not like the re-imagining of the suit. He looks like a cross between Spider-Man and the Mummy now.
    Have to agree with that.

Apart from that, it was a decent first issue. Story was good, art could have been better. I'll probably pick up the next issue, as I like the character...

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I flipped through it on the stand. Had already decided to trade wait it though.
    Art looked clean but I was not immediately taken with the suits look but hold out it could evolve.
    I had a similar thought in that my vibe was "symbiote like" ala Venom/Carnage.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Spectacular Member baycitybomber's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I do not like the re-imagining of the suit. He looks like a cross between Spider-Man and the Mummy now.
    Yeah, that was jarring. Ragman without a cloak doesn't feel right, the whole design is off-balance. I'm hoping his dad will give him the cloak part of his costume or something because I'm not sure I could get used to Spidey!Ragman even though I'm willing to put up with a lot of bs for Ragman.

I otherwise liked the story and the art, the villains were sufficiently creepy, and this mini could be a nice addition to his mythos.

It's a decent origin issue but the new look reminds me too much of a symbiote.

Seems like a supernatural take on Spider-Man.

I bought the original Ragman off the spinner rack when it came out and it was a good read. This reimagining is such a disappointment. Revamping the cursed origin to tie it to war ops and redesigning the costume to be so much less colorful are not to my liking. It's good that it's still set in Gotham even though it felt like Any City USA in the premiere. And it's good he has a dramatic origin with the fate of his father even though it was a bit run of the mill. The colouring scheme was horrible and that childhood flashback placement could have been presented better. I had high hopes for his Rebirth. Hope they can turn it around by #6 but not sure if'll stick with it.

http://www.cbr.com/ragman-gotham-cit...cs-miniseries/
    https://twitter.com/CBR/status/884869467469103104
    1_medium.jpg

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Ragman 2017? For me? Nope. Sorry: boring. Another character’s name slapped on someone else; a ‘timely’ story used as plot device; a could-have-been deeply engaging story told superficially, forgettably, characters there to make the plot device work. Artwork is good, standard, professional, ordinary. The original Ragman would’ve made a very interesting character in these times. This would-be Ragman gives little reason to tag along.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

I really like the character but what I've seen and read about this series just doesn't sound like Ragman or interest me enough to spend the time and money on it. I'm sure it will appeal to a lot of people but I'd be more likely to pick up a series based more on the classic version.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

JLH? Full agreement with that.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Invincible Member

I actually liked it. I've been interested in older Ragman stories as well, so this came out at the time for me.

It’s sad because Ragman in his original incarnation has so much potential. He’s basically wearing purgatory as his costume. It absorbs souls of evil doers and allows them to atone for their sins by lending Rory their strength while he fights crime. It’s such a cool concept. It didn’t need this new take or a redesign.

Incredible Member Elegant Dreamer's Avatar

Too bad they're not doing what they did with Supergirl Rebirth, where they mixed a little Arrowverse material in the story line.