Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

Default Dark Knight #3 - Wonder Woman's clay origin coming back?

Dark Nights - Metal (2017-) 003-017.jpg

Thoughts? Or it was just a game of words?

BANNED

You should ask Snyder. But right now there are people from different places and times who remember things differently. Like Future Tim Batman from Titans Tomorrow didn't know there wasn't a Conner Kent in this world, pretty sure this ex-Hawkgirl is in the same bucket.

Play on words. Or Snyder doesn't know the current continuity for her.

She's the daughter of Zeus, WW #32 makes it very clear.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-12-2017 at 10:09 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

Just felt weird that Diana didn't questioned what Kendra said, like at all. Plus since New 52 is Manhattan's doing and things are trying to get themselves back into correct places I thought that Diana coming back to being made out of clay is just a matter of when.

Well, if they keep the element that the clay origin was a lie Diana was told for some time, it would make sense why she doesn't have any reaction to these sorts of allusions. But, they did a terrible job defining Wonder Woman's Rebirth status quo to date, so we're still waiting on knowing what's all in and what's all out. Basically we know that the post-Crisis Amazons are back in, but the biological birth, and twins now, are in, folded into that post-Crisis-like lore. But that's pretty much all we know for sure. The details are more problematic than Superman right now, because while Superman's history is more vague bullet points, Superman as a character has no confusion. So its easier for the reader to roll with when the character is all good with his history for the most part. That can't be said for WW right now, they're still playing up on her being confused as to what's what, which makes it impossible for the reader to not be confused as to what's what, and that'll get annoying real fast if it isn't already.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-12-2017 at 10:48 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

This really is all very post-Crisis in that, if they aren't careful, they're going to need another "Zero Hour" to sort things out... and we all know how well that went down the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Play on words. Or Snyder doesn't know the current continuity for her.

She's the daughter of Zeus, WW #32 makes it very clear.
    I didn't read WW #32, but "daughter of Zeus" can be construed in a number of ways. For instance, she could be referring to him bringing the clay to life or even more broadly as all Amazons are "daughters of Zeus."
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I didn't read WW #32, but "daughter of Zeus" can be construed in a number of ways. For instance, she could be referring to him bringing the clay to life or even more broadly as all Amazons are "daughters of Zeus."
    Read #32. It's very clear that it's a biological birth, she talks about how Zeus is a bad father, Hercules and Jason are her biological brothers, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    Read #32. It's very clear that it's a biological birth, she talks about how Zeus is a bad father, Hercules and Jason are her biological brothers, etc.
    Well, that's disappointing. I thought Rebirth was going to throw out the bad ideas that came from the New 52.

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    This really is all very post-Crisis in that, if they aren't careful, they're going to need another "Zero Hour" to sort things out... and we all know how well that went down the first time.
    I've been questioning if Rebirth is the New 52's version of Zero Hour several times in the past.
    One difference is that I basically gave up regularly buying comic books for about fifteen years within the first year of Zero Hour, but I haven't quite done that again (yet).
    Avoiding things written by Snyder or Geoff Johns is helping with that.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Well, that's disappointing. I thought Rebirth was going to throw out the bad ideas that came from the New 52.
    It did, sex pirate Amazons are gone. Not every New 52 idea was poorly received however. This one worked, and works even more so now that the movie used it.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-12-2017 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    It did, sex pirate Amazons are gone. Not every New 52 idea was poorly received however. This one worked, and works even more so now that the movie used it.
    Eh, I'm not really of the mind that if the movie uses it, it should automatically be used in comics too. The codex thing in Man of Steel was a mess and I hear that they're also making Steppenwolf into Darkseid's nephew instead of his uncle. Some thing, no matter how small should stay the same in order to mainstain the vision of the creator. The way Perez did it, that's the way to do it.

Well this wouldn't really be a case of movie synergy though. The movie took it from the comics in the first place, I'm just saying now that it has been used in the film, which is the first mainstream success the character has seen since the 70s, its understandable that something there was no sign of them letting go of even before then, they'd be even more inclined to keep now.

This is the problem with Dc. It always doesn’t know what Diana should be. It should be made clear. Rucka’s run made strong hints of clay. Now this. She needs a editor

That was DC's fault for not being more forceful in their one edict. Maybe I could understand it a little bit if we're talking about a writer who guaranteed insta-sales like a Morrison or today's Snyder. It would still be pandering, but I could at least kind of understand the pandering, and even then from a narrative point of view I'd have still considered it sloppy. But there wasn't even that element to it.