Default Justice League 31 Preview Hypolita vs Wonder Woman

“LEGACY” finale! The truth about Sovereign is revealed—and her identity will shake the Justice League to its core! The Darkness is out of control and if the Justice League and their future children don’t triumph over its evil, it will mean the end of everything, everywhere, forever.

Writer Bryan Hitch
    Artist Oclair Albert, Fernando Pasarin
    Cover Bryan Hitch
    Variant Cover Nicholas Bradshaw

Astonishing Member

Um, does this storyline makes sense to anyone? For starters, what's this "darkness" (other than a plot device)?

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    Um, does this storyline makes sense to anyone? For starters, what's this "darkness" (other than a plot device)?
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again; the author of Justice League is on a whole different page then everyone else. He finally got Jessica Cruz to say she and Barry aren't together (despite his best efforts of trying to stick them together in previous arcs), but it almost seems like he has the Hippolyta of the New52, rather than the Rebirth one.

Incredible Member

It's the lost soul of Ms McGuffin, formerly known as the Countess Deus ex Machina. Having previously been defeated by logical and strong story-telling which prioritised consistent and memorable character development, Ms McGuffin has returned, now stronger than ever, and is waging war against all comic books. Her first target is Justice League, but her malevolent influence can be seen across many, many titles and she has been causing trouble behind the scenes for many years.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    It's the lost soul of Ms McGuffin, formerly known as the Countess Deus ex Machina. Having previously been defeated by logical and strong story-telling which prioritised consistent and memorable character development, Ms McGuffin has returned, now stronger than ever, and is waging war against all comic books. Her first target is Justice League, but her malevolent influence can be seen across many, many titles and she has been causing trouble behind the scenes for many years.
    Lol. Thanks.

But, I keep getting the sinking feeling that this storyline has a similar stink to the infamous Ms. Marvel storyline that Marvel would rather not acknowledge again.

I'm sorry, but could DC d a little more to estrange Diana and Hippolyta, please?

For most of the history of Wonder Woman, Diana was one of the few major superheroes who had a healthy, loving, ongoing relationship with a living parent. The fact that it was a mother-daughter relationship (I think they even passed the Bechdel Test once or twice!), and that the mother was herself a wise, powerful, and respected individual made it even better.

I don't mind some disagreement between them. Some conflict. But in the last few years, we got:

- The New 52 Hippolyta who lied to her about her father and made up an absurd lie about her being made from clay. (I could go into more detail about why, under the circumstances, that was a particularly useless and dangerous lie.) And also did nothing, as queen, to prevent the Amazons from taunting Diana for being "different," or, for that matter, to stop them from being murderous man-hating sex pirate villains.

- Then, quickly, Hippolyta was turned to stone and the Amazons to snakes, effectively taking them out of the story, so Diana can't even work out the issues she has with her mother for lying, or in any other way have an ongoing relationship with her.

- In the Rebirth era, Hippolyta and the Amazons look like somewhat better people. But it's not clear to me if Hippolyta still told young Diana that she was made of clay, instead of the truth (or even "your father was a man I had sex with, under circumstances I cannot discuss at this time.") Also, it turns out - unless this gets retconned again - that for the first five to ten years of her superhero career, Diana believed some horrible lies about Hippolyta and the Amazons, and she had no actual contact with them during this time. Instead, she had periodic hallucinations about going back to Themyscira and interacting with Hippolyta - but not the real Themyscira or Hippolyta. So Wonder Woman, as a superhero, did not have a healthy, loving, ongoing relationship with a living parent. That unusual and meaningful aspect of her history is wiped out. And, of course, she still has no interactions with Hippolyta, since Themyscira is interdicted.

- Now we get a story where a superpowerful, evil Hippolyta from the future fights Diana. Yes, I know, it's only a "future version turned evil." (Isn't anybody getting tired of that trope?) But it fits into a pattern: various versions of the estrangement of Diana and Hippolyta.

Not my favorite pattern. But that's just me.

(P.S. I started with The New 52. But I could go back a little further than that. Some writers seem really uncomfortable with the fact that Diana gets along well with her mom. Yes, I know stories need conflict. It doesn't need to be this one - again!)
    Last edited by Doctor Bifrost; 10-17-2017 at 04:38 PM.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

What the heck is with that (variant?) cover? I'm starting to hate Batman now.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Astonishing Member

But, I keep getting the sinking feeling that this storyline has a similar stink to the infamous Ms. Marvel storyline that Marvel would rather not acknowledge again.
    Ah! I haven't read the issue, yet, but it appears some of my fears came true - SPOILERS in link:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/10...e-31-spoilers/

Please limit this thread to discussion of the preview and not the full issue.

Feel free to start a new thread for the full issue.
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!