Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Is Spider-Man an example of 'toxic masculinity'?

On tumblr I saw someone make these accusations against Peter Parker and felt it was something worth debating.

For the record this is what wikipedia says toxic masculinity is:

Conformity with certain traits viewed as traditionally male, such as misogyny, homophobia, and violence, can be considered "toxic" due to harmful effects on others in society, while related traits, including self-reliance and the stifling of emotions, are correlated with harm to men themselves through psychological problems such as depression, increased stress, and substance abuse.

Essentially the poster in question was looking at ASM Annual #3 and pointing out Peter's 'arrogance' and 'aggressivness' against the Avengers as an example of toxic masculinity.

He’s also, in typical Peter fashion, so overconfident about his abilities that he’s insulted by the very idea of needing to be tested.
    https://78.media.tumblr.com/8d750c79...qk4j8v_540.png

He feels that he’s more than proven himself the equal of the Avengers through the many supervillains he’s defeated and that his worthiness should be obvious to everyone.
    And he’s not very impressed by the Avengers, either. He mocks Thor, calls the Avengers “glamour-pants,” snaps at Tony, and physically attacks Clint with little provocation.
    https://78.media.tumblr.com/5c1a9530...qk4j8v_540.png

https://78.media.tumblr.com/b268f703...qk4j8v_540.png

His belligerence leaves all of the Avengers afraid that he’s too angry and out of control to allow on the team, and they’re not wrong to think that.
    https://78.media.tumblr.com/643c86a9...qk4j8v_540.png

In the comics, it took YEARS for Peter to get all of that rage, resentment, and toxic masculinity out of his system and start behaving like a somewhat reasonable, polite human being.
    Bear in mind here ASM Annual #3 happens in the ROMITA era. So this person is saying Peter didn't behave like a reasonable or polite person until YEARS after the era where he befriended Harry osborn, began dating Gwen and seeing MJ. Even though he was mostly reasonable with Betty brant and Ned Leeds despite not liking their treatment of him.

Anyway they go on to say this.

Although, honestly, you still see flare-ups of that old Peter pretty often, like the time he threw Wolverine out of a window for insulting him and Mary Jane’s intelligence in ASM #522
    https://78.media.tumblr.com/aad71238...qk4j8v_540.png

https://78.media.tumblr.com/0ad715b7...qk4j8v_540.png

i know why he’s like this. This is his reaction to all of the bullying he went through in high school everyone telling him he was weak, insulting his masculinity so now he needs to prove he’s the manliest man around all the time. It’s a problem.

Frankly I think the accusations are royally nonsense but what do YOU all think?

What nonesense is this ? Really ? Spider-Man an example of Toxic Masculity ? This Tumblr user really is looking for something to be offended by it!

Ignoring all of the years of character development, let's just put it on the table how he treats women with respect, how he treats members of the LGBT community with respect as well! And Peter by all intents and purposes is not a violent man.
    Sure, in his early years he might have been a little bit violent however the character could receive a pass imo because he was still a teenager. However he never disrespected women and never treated LGBT people without respect.

And regarding the example from Wolverine being thrown out the window by Peter, I'll say this, if I were Peter I would have done the same thing. You don't get to talk S*** about him and MJ and hoping to get away with it. Even more when people are saying that she is having an affer when she is not.

So, no Spider-Man is not an example of Toxic Masculity!

BANNED

Wtf I hate Spider-Man now!

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Well that's one interpretation of Peter's character. I think its kind of reaching, I can see sort of see where they're coming from with the annual, but I think it was to show Peter's character flaws and young arrogance. I don't think its Peter's character, he's more like an example of "toxic guilt" most of the time.

Also, I don't think the user was "offended."

No. Just no. I am not even going to read the OP. It's utter nonsense to even think that Spider-Man is toxic masculine. There are other superheros that could be argued are toxic masculine. I will agree or not depending on the character.

Let's just pick my other favourite superhero. Cyclops. There are some who will say that he is toxic masculine. I definitely don't agree, but I can see where they are coming from. But Spider-man? Any argument for that is utter garbage.

How is homophobia traditionally male? What kind of ass-pull is that?

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

I mean, it's like saying Reed Richards is an example of rampant sexism because of the way he was written in the 60s.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

In regards to the OP, I don't think so.

BANNED

It's worth debating, but it isn't going to happen here. The thread is probably going to devolve into whether toxic masculinity is even a thing.

People tend to be offended by attempts to critically engage with characters they like. I haven't read enough Spider-Man comics out of the character's entire history to add anything substantial myself. Although I've seen some examples of it, I can't say anything definitive about the character from what I've read.

I'll leave this here, for those interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    How is homophobia traditionally male? What kind of ass-pull is that?
    there appears to be research supporting that homophobia distribution is higher in males (not sure how that fits with the wording of "traditionally")

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5065072/

i haven't read the studies personally, so i have no clear opinion on this. though it wouldn't shock me if the data checked out.

as for this topic, some things aren't worth debating.

[edit ^]
    on reflection, maybe it is. this is about an iteration of spider-man that i didn't read, so i can't comment on something i have no experience with.
    Last edited by boots; 10-12-2017 at 09:59 PM.
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    It's worth debating, but it isn't going to happen here. The thread is probably going to devolve into whether toxic masculinity is even a thing.
    i'd hope not, but from a superficial point you'd be looking towards your hulks (which was kinda the point of the character), punishers and wolverines for that sort of thing.

but i'll admit, i don't have the encyclopedic knowledge of spider-man that many here do.
    Last edited by boots; 10-12-2017 at 09:56 PM.
    troo fan or death

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    i'd hope not, but from a superficial point you'd be looking towards your hulks (which was kinda the point of the character), punishers and wolverines for that sort of thing.

but i'll admit, i don't have the encyclopedic knowledge of spider-man that many here do.
    I have even less.

The Ditko/Lee run, the JMS run, and some of Ultimate Spider-Man makes up most of what I've read of the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    I have even less.

The Ditko/Lee run, the JMS run, and some of Ultimate Spider-Man makes up most of what I've read of the character.
    not that this is a competition, but i'd say you win. i have a spotty 80s and 90s run as my claim to spider-fame. plus a handful of arcs from the current run.

i'll probably get booted from this board for not having read ditko/lee...
    troo fan or death

"toxic maxulinity"

Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

But seriously, the pics in those links were Spider-Man at his best. Current Spider-Man is a bastardization of a great characters. He's become an insecure, narcasitic, effeminate loser who tells bad jokes instead of clever quips.

I mean seriously, what is this?

IMG_5290.jpg
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!