Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default How can Kingpin being mayor be any different than J Jonah Jameson being Mayor ?

As Spider-man fans you should know via Daredevil current series that Charles Soule is setting Kingpin into being the Mayor. As Spider-man fans i ask you this: How is this idea any different than when J Jonah Jameson was Mayor ?

Here's the preview to look at it: https://www.newsarama.com/36920-the-...devil-595.html

It's pretty similar structurally in that both won as independent candidates following short campaigns.

Fisk was a behind the scenes guy, while Jameson was a media figure.

Soule has an interesting take on Fisk with the public aware of all the bad stuff he's done, and going for him anyway.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    As Spider-man fans you should know via Daredevil current series that Charles Soule is setting Kingpin into being the Mayor. As Spider-man fans i ask you this: How is this idea any different than when J Jonah Jameson was Mayor ?

Here's the preview to look at it: https://www.newsarama.com/36920-the-...devil-595.html
    Pretty simple: JJJ is a blowhard while Kingpin is a flat out murderous criminal, corrupt to his core.

JJJ may have crossed some lines along the way, leading to the creation of menaces like The Scorpion and The Spider-Slayers, but that's minor mischief next to the Kingpin's list of atrocities.

I'm pretty stoked to see how this development plays out. Hope it lasts for some time as it has the potential to significantly affect the street level heroes.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Pretty simple: JJJ is a blowhard while Kingpin is a flat out murderous criminal, corrupt to his core.

JJJ may have crossed some lines along the way, leading to the creation of menaces like The Scorpion and The Spider-Slayers, but that's minor mischief next to the Kingpin's list of atrocities.

I'm pretty stoked to see how this development plays out. Hope it lasts for some time as it has the potential to significantly affect the street level heroes.
    Pretty much this, and Jonah --- in his mind, at least --- was trying to deal with a dangerous criminal constantly flouting the law and getting away with it because he had superpowers. Fisk, on the other hand, is a dangerous criminal who constantly flouts the law and gets away with it because of his wealth and power and connections, so objectively worse than Jonah on his worst days. Him becoming mayor isn't just a threat to Spider-Man or Daredevil or any other street-level heroes, but potentially a threat to the entire city with the level of corruption and criminality he'll be unleashing. Jonah, at least, had ethics (unfortunately compromised by his vendetta against Spider-Man, but he had more than the Kingpin ever did).
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Because Marvel's making it a bigger deal then they did with Jonah.

I expect Fisk will pop up way more often in books then Jonah ever did as mayor.

I repeat myself: This is the best time for a Spider-Man/Daredevil book.

Fantastic Member

I'm excited for this, will pick up Daredevil after dropping it some time ago. Not intentionally, it just became a bit of a chore and the issues piled up until I stopped getting them.

Anyway, I'd say it's difference because where Jonah is ultimately a good but misguided man, Fisk is not.

Jameson becoming mayor was the most rushed and unexpected additions to the Marvel lore, but he was a respected figure. I always assumed that the character played that role in the 60s cartoon seeing how he received calls for every turmoil in town, so I guess this influenced Mayor Jonah in the comics, but it had no build up whatsoever.

Fisk is a ruthless crime boss, he's not a civil rights supporter like Jameson is, he provides drugs Jameson wants to keep off the street.
    If anything, Fisk could be compared to the idea of Mayor Cobblepot.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    I concur.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    Jameson becoming mayor was the most rushed and unexpected additions to the Marvel lore, but he was a respected figure. I always assumed that the character played that role in the 60s cartoon seeing how he received calls for every turmoil in town, so I guess this influenced Mayor Jonah in the comics, but it had no build up whatsoever.

Fisk is a ruthless crime boss, he's not a civil rights supporter like Jameson is, he provides drugs Jameson wants to keep off the street.
    If anything, Fisk could be compared to the idea of Mayor Cobblepot.
    In Batman: Earth One by Geoff Johns and Gary Frank, or in Season 3 of Gotham?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I would buy it, if done well. And they had the right creative team on the book.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    In Batman: Earth One by Geoff Johns and Gary Frank, or in Season 3 of Gotham?
    I did not read that volume, and I don't see myself attracted to that show. I was thinking of the TNBA tie-ins Dan Slott wrote.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

I couldn't have stated the difference better myself.

PS I'm also very interested in how this plays out.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I concur with your assessment.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

You beat me to it!!!

Astonishing Member

Very much agreed.