Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default I Need Your Help in Choosing a Comic Book

Hi all, I first want to introduce myself - I'm Steven and this is my very first post here. I'm are you guys get people like me a lot but I was wondering if you guys could help me choose a comic book to start reading. I have never read any superhero comics before and was looking for a great place to start. The only comic books I've ever read are the Archies.

As for which type of comic I'm looking for, I figured Marvel would be the best start. They look, from an outsider, to have more of a variety of different superheroes and comic book series than DC. I am looking for a couple of things in the comic I plan on reading:

Firstly, I would prefer to read a comic about a superhero team as opposed to a singular superhero. I love the team dynamic associated with superhero teams and I think the overall experience for me as a new reader would be better with multiple main characters than just with one, although I am well aware that some of the most popular comics involve a singular hero.

Secondly, and maybe most importantly, I'm looking for a comic series that I don't need to have read 40 years of past comics to understand. I'm looking to start a series where I won't be asking "what does that mean", or "who are they talking about" every five seconds. For example, with the Archies I'm used to, a person doesn't need to have read any of the older issues to start reading the new issues with a full understanding.

I'm not sure if Marvel makes any comics that would be friendly to a newbie like me but I ran across these comics I was looking for your input in: All-New Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers Vol. 7, Defenders (2017-), Generation X, Great Lakes Avengers (2016-), The Ultimates 2, Uncanny Avengers Vol. 3, X-Men Blue, X-Men Gold Vol. 2

Those were the newer series of superhero teams I found but if there any series that are a little more dated (preferably I'd like to read something from the 21st century), I'd love to hear about those too. I'm essentially looking to all of you guys, I'd love to start reading a series but I want to be able to read a story with complete understanding, as opposed to reading a series that I'm lost in because I haven't read comics from that team before.

I apologize for the length of the post, but I figured the more you guys know as to what I'm interested in, the better you'd be able to help. I thank you all in advance for your help, this was the first place I came as I'm sure all of your expertise will easily help me find a comic of my liking. Thanks for taking the time to read this post and I look forward to your input!

Steven C.

Astonishing X-Men. 4 issues in. No background reading required. Charles Soule, the writer, made sure of that. It's the best X-Men book going right now too. Angel, Bishop, Psylocke, Rogue, Gambit, Fantomex, Mystique, Old Man Logan.

Defenders. 6 issues in. Beautiful art and lots of action. Daredevil, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, possibly Deadpool and a few others.

Those would be the 2 team books I would recommend right now.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Astonishing X-Men. 4 issues in. No background reading required. Charles Soule, the writer, made sure of that. It's the best X-Men book going right now too. Angel, Bishop, Psylocke, Rogue, Gambit, Fantomex, Mystique, Old Man Logan.
    This sounds fantastic! I love the fact that its only four issues in as well so I can read it as it's coming out.

If you're interesting in reading about characters beyond the A-Listers, are open to the new, younger characters of the Marvel universe, and are open to less of the traditional superhero stuff and tolerant of certain political stuff, I believe the current Champions book might be up your alley.

Astonishing Member

Champions is good, and you get the idea right in the first book. Secret Warriors the current running is good for fun teammates interactions. Uncanny Avengers II as well.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I've never read Guardians of the Galaxy before but I really love All New GoTG. You'll like especially if you enjoyed the movies.

If you begin your journey with new comics it probably will end before it even got started as there aren't many good comics out there right now. I'd recommend going back to some well regarded work rather than jump in the abyss of mediocrity that is current comics.

There's a wealth of information on the interweb covering the subject of recommended trades, best story arcs, etc.

It's difficult to know what someone will like because it's such a subjective thing. For instance, my favorite is the 80s/90s era which some people hate and completely dismiss.

One new team book that seems to fit your criteria that i'd recommend i suppose would be Justice League/Power Rangers by Tom Taylor and Stephen Byrne. It's got some good artwork by Byrne, and a smooth, easy to follow limited series 6 issues or so story involving two teams.

You could pick a team that interests you say X-Men or Teen Titans and then search for the best stories involving those teams and then go from there and branch out. Maybe Wolverine becomes your favorite from the X-Men after reading a story and then you can branch out to some Wolverine stories, etc.

And then you keep going from there. Maybe start from point A (Marvel: X-Men) and point B (DC Comics: Teen Titans) and then from there branch out in each universe. Marvel might be easier if you want to subscribe to Marvel unlimited which is a service that lets you read through digital comics.

Really. The best thing you can do is research and explore because only you know what you like the most. Jump in, start exploring and finding out what you like and go from there. Search google images for previews of stuff, etc.
    Last edited by SXVA; 10-12-2017 at 10:25 PM.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

Spectacular Member

If you want comics with as little background as possible, maybe you should try some with recent characters that just don't have a lot of background. Currently team books that fit this definition are The Champions and Secret Warriors. I would also suggest The Defenders, it started recently and everyone seems to like it. Astonishing X-Men is nice, but I am not sure it fits your needs, if you don't know who Charles Xavier is, why and how it's missing, who Rogue and Gambit are and their past relationship, who is Archangel etc. it loses part of its impact.

Among the book you listed Ultimates was very good, bot the first and the second volume. It ended recently, therefore I would read the collections and not the single issues.

A bit off topic, but in case you may want to wonder outside Marvel, in recent years Image comics is publishing some very nice, innovative comics. And they have this thing where the first collection of all their books it's just 9.99$, making easier to sample them. Image books that are very appreciated are: Saga, Monstress, Wicked + Divine, Lazarus, East of West, Sex Criminals, Bitch Planet, Black Science, Seven to Eternity, Southern Bastards, Descender.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SCampo98 View Post
    Hi all, I first want to introduce myself - I'm Steven and this is my very first post here. I'm are you guys get people like me a lot but I was wondering if you guys could help me choose a comic book to start reading. I have never read any superhero comics before and was looking for a great place to start. The only comic books I've ever read are the Archies.

As for which type of comic I'm looking for, I figured Marvel would be the best start. They look, from an outsider, to have more of a variety of different superheroes and comic book series than DC. I am looking for a couple of things in the comic I plan on reading:

Firstly, I would prefer to read a comic about a superhero team as opposed to a singular superhero. I love the team dynamic associated with superhero teams and I think the overall experience for me as a new reader would be better with multiple main characters than just with one, although I am well aware that some of the most popular comics involve a singular hero.

Secondly, and maybe most importantly, I'm looking for a comic series that I don't need to have read 40 years of past comics to understand. I'm looking to start a series where I won't be asking "what does that mean", or "who are they talking about" every five seconds. For example, with the Archies I'm used to, a person doesn't need to have read any of the older issues to start reading the new issues with a full understanding.

I'm not sure if Marvel makes any comics that would be friendly to a newbie like me but I ran across these comics I was looking for your input in: All-New Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers Vol. 7, Defenders (2017-), Generation X, Great Lakes Avengers (2016-), The Ultimates 2, Uncanny Avengers Vol. 3, X-Men Blue, X-Men Gold Vol. 2

Those were the newer series of superhero teams I found but if there any series that are a little more dated (preferably I'd like to read something from the 21st century), I'd love to hear about those too. I'm essentially looking to all of you guys, I'd love to start reading a series but I want to be able to read a story with complete understanding, as opposed to reading a series that I'm lost in because I haven't read comics from that team before.

I apologize for the length of the post, but I figured the more you guys know as to what I'm interested in, the better you'd be able to help. I thank you all in advance for your help, this was the first place I came as I'm sure all of your expertise will easily help me find a comic of my liking. Thanks for taking the time to read this post and I look forward to your input!

Steven C.
    I think that Astonishng X-men should be great for You.

Uncanny Avengers also but after 6th issue they have crossover (Avengers Standoff) so you will need to read additional issues. order would be something like UA7, All New All Different Avengers 7, UA8, All New All Different Avengers 8, Assault on Pleasant Hill Omega.(or you may seach for whole event(few more issues).

I don't think that actual Avenegrs team is very user freindly because they have secret empire Tie In, followed by 2 crossovers. I think that books like AN guardians, Gen X, Ultimates would be better.

I also think that It would be better if You would add something about what You like?

Quote Originally Posted by SCampo98 View Post
    This sounds fantastic! I love the fact that its only four issues in as well so I can read it as it's coming out.
    Well I would dispute it needs no background reading as it relies on loads of continuity AND it is a 12 issue maxi not an ongoing.

and:
    Quote Originally Posted by SignorMiracolo View Post
    If you want comics with as little background as possible, maybe you should try some with recent characters that just don't have a lot of background. Currently team books that fit this definition are The Champions and Secret Warriors. I would also suggest The Defenders, it started recently and everyone seems to like it. Astonishing X-Men is nice, but I am not sure it fits your needs, if you don't know who Charles Xavier is, why and how it's missing, who Rogue and Gambit are and their past relationship, who is Archangel etc. it loses part of its impact.
    That is all spot on.

The Ultimates suggestion is equally a continuity heavy book that literary draws on decades of obscurity. Some that most Marvel readers won't even have read. I would even dispute it fits the criteria of a standard team book.

However, don't worry too much, you can always google stuff.

Personally, I would recommend Uncanny Avengers because it is mostly a romp, and although it isn't one of my favourites it is very popular and fits your criteria. The story isn't quite as focused on continuity as Avengers itself.

Then maybe Champions, because the team are mostly new heroes. That book is both really well written and is now moving into a tie-in with Avengers, so it will probably explain its context as it progresses.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 10-13-2017 at 03:18 AM.

Obviously you have to be aware of who characters are. Astonishing X-Men is 100% new reader friendly. I stand by that.

I'd say the original Runaways best fits your criteria.

https://www.amazon.ca/Runaways-Compl...words=runaways

This one.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

I'd wait until next summer to check out Avengers. They are just gearing up for a huge crossover, which from all chatter seems will result in a major franchise shakeup. If it's similar to Avengers Disassembled/New Avengers then you may want to dive in with Avengers #691.

I'd never advise anyone to read X-Men.

Champions is pretty good, and should be easy to catch up on.

Defenders just requires vague awareness of the characters but extensive backstory isn't important.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

It is worth noting Marvel usually have at least one comic in production that serves as an introduction to the wider universe. Going back a little Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. did this. The book that looks most likely to do this at the moment is Secret Warriors, but to an extent Jean Grey is also doing this. Indeed quite a few single character stories have this element, Gwenpool and Moon Girl both have this kind of strand, but they may not be what you are looking for.