Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

From the Ellis' newsletter...

NEWS: We have the next Wildstorm project.

The art is by Ramon Villalobos with colour by Tamra Bonvillain. They did excellent work together on a comic called BORDER TOWN, and I asked for them when they became free. Thankfully, and shockingly for me, they both agreed to come aboard.

Cover by Jim Cheung. I have no idea why my name is bigger than Ramon and Tamra's.

Note the Steve Cook-designed ticker on top. Six issues.

It is very different to THE WILD STORM.

From the pitch document:

THE WILD STORM is a slow burn, with careful gridded pages, carrying many plotlines in a novelistic way.

WILDCATS is none of these things. It will move very fast, it will focus exclusively on the main cast and the people and events they meet, and it will be as explosive and crazy as I can possibly make it. It will be, deliberately, the precise opposite of THE WILD STORM.

Control. Escape. Breakaway civilisations. Central planning. Survival. Conceptual breakthrough and the discovery that our universe is bigger than we thought. And the world is stranger than we thought.

The preview for this week's final issue...

- https://www.denofgeek.com/us/books/d...sue-24-preview

The Authority Returns to Bring The Wild Storm to an End

Really would had liked to see the Gen13 kids under Ellis vision.
    Maybe they drop as an easter egg.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Spectacular Member

It would be nice to see Wildstorm go back to the beginning and apply the effects the DC Universe has had to it.

Start with WildC.A.T.S issue one (1992) and work from there. If redoing the issues is to big a burden then just do a history book that tells the complete history of Wildstorm from WildC.A.T.S issue one (1992) to present day.

A more classic aproach? I wouldn't be unhappy. I have enjoyed the Wild storm, as a vertigoesque version of the WS universe but to see again the OCs would be fun.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Without spoiling anything right away, that did not go anything like i thought it would.

Definitely going to miss the title quite a bit.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    A more classic aproach? I wouldn't be unhappy. I have enjoyed the Wild storm, as a vertigoesque version of the WS universe but to see again the OCs would be fun.
    I second the motion, I want the classic version of the Wildcats with Warblade, Spartan, Maul ect, the classic version of StormWatch as well as the Divine Right characters, I love the nostalgia and of the original Image titles I prefer the original iconic versions the most.

From the look of the latest WILDC.A.T. solicit, it may very well be Marlowe's C.A.T. versus the "The Wild Storm" universe's New Gods.

In fact, you can chack them in the Multiversity, as earth-48:

But I don't know ifEllisisgoing tousethisversion or a more extreme and dark version.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Reupping this thread because I finally finished reading the last issue of Wild Storm yesterday... what a wonderful series this has been. I always had a soft-spot for Wildstorm characters and Warren Ellis' comics are almost always a must-read for me, and I definitely wasn't disappointed with this one.

Being a fan of the original versions of these characters, I was a bit taken aback by all the changes initially but as the series progressed I realized how close this actually was, sometimes literally, sometimes just spiritually, to the source material. Ellis successfully connected most of Wildstorm's characters, histories and organizations to a few key points, with what initially seemed like a complex tapestry actually turning out to be a very straightforward connective tissue that made the series extremely accessible, relatable and modern.

How this is not being picked up as a TV show is beyond me. How this didn't have much commercial success is immensely frustrating. In his pitch included in the vol 1 TPB, Ellis mentions how the series is going to spin-off into 4 other books, and you can clearly see how he was setting up Michael Cray, WildCATs, Gen 13 and The Authority to be those 4 books, with what's left of IO and Skywatch again acting as the connective tissue across all 4.

Now with the first of those concluded and the future of WildCATs in doubt, I think the chances of seeing more Wildstorm titles in the future are really slim. Which is quite depressing as I felt The Wild Storm was really comics at its best. Everyone's raving at Jonathan Hickman's excellent House of X/Powers of X over at Marvel but I'll say Warren Ellis has been taking the same approach of streamlining, world-building and just generally writing crazy sci-fi-meet-super-hero comics for the past couple of years with The Wild Storm and it didn't get the commercial success it so arguably deserved.