Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

Looks amazing for me!!! And this is just a teaser so... dont hate
    we can be heroes, just for one day

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Wow, the success of IT is really affecting how Hollywood markets things, even when the only connecting tissue is Coming-Of-Ageness.
    What are you talking about? They've said since the movie was first announced like a year and a half ago that this would be a straight up horror movie. Has nothing whatsoever to do with the success of IT.

Trailer looks freaking amazing!!! So hyped. Been waiting almost 17 years for this movie. Looks like it was worth the wait!
    Last edited by Midnighter; 10-13-2017 at 09:58 AM.

i like the idea, mutant powers are what causes all the scary stuff, but i'm not really into the movie. This could've been done without the X-men stuff in it. This looks like a movie some one decided to slap on a franchise name to get more recognition.

Anyway, will Sansa Stark and Arya meet in a future X-men movie?
    Last edited by Sighphi; 10-13-2017 at 12:33 PM.

Why are people calling this a "teaser?" This is the actual trailer. And of course, some people have already made up their minds about it. I was disappointed they held off on showing anyone use their powers, but I imagine we'll see that in the next trailer. (they're probably still working on the EFX and we know what happens when trailers are released with unfinished EFX...)

One thing I'm curious about now regarding Magik: in the comics, her backstory is removed from the Demon Bear story, so I have to wonder if a) they're just going to make her a teleporter and not go into the Belasco stuff or b) tie together the Demon Bear and Illyana's transformation into Magik. I could see that, and it wouldn't bother me. If this leads directly to a sequel about Illyana's time in the demon realm and the New Mutants having to rescue her or something, I'd be okay with it. (and it'd be a sequel that'd stay in the horror genre rather than moving them into the more traditional X-Film type movies)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    i like the idea, mutant powers are what's causes all the scary stuff, but i'm not really in the movie. This could've been done without the X-men stuff in it. This looks like a movie some one decided to slap on a franchise name to get more recognition.
    I disagree; the New Mutants has always had extreme horror elements; about one step away from becoming a full fledged horror book (some even argue that that's exactly what it is) . Given the storyline they're adapting and the current Hollywood climate, this feels very approriate.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Yay, another completely generic horror flick trailer. Might as well be "Paranormal Activity 742." I want to give them points for doing something different with the genre, but this trailer was straight up horror without the superhero. Can't give you credit when you're just rehashing different tropes.

Hype lost. I'll wait for word of mouth before I check out entirely, but I'm already pretty much out the door and down the block. Can't remember the last time a teaser trailer so completely made me go from interested in a movie to so completely not.
    Yeah, it's odd. On the one hand is like "Well, this is something different and new from the usual Superhero tropes". But then on the other hand, it looks very much like a bog-standard paint-by-numbers horror movie. So all they've really done is swap one level of predictability for another.

Personally, it's not for me. Horror movies very rarely interest me. I'll laugh at a funny comedy, can be uplifted by a feel good movie and be thrilled/excited by a great action film. But with horror, I dunno.. it's the one genre where my knowing it isn't real almost completely negates any fear/excitement/tension for me when I'm watching it. Oh, I'll jump at jump-scares of course, that's a natural human reaction.

But with regards to actually ever being 'scared'? Nah. Generally I just spend most horror movies telling myself not to get attached to any of the characters cos they'll likely all be dead by the end. And cos you're expecting it, there's no emotional reaction there either. For me, even in the usually pretty standard storytelling structure of a superhero movie, there's more possibilities to be surprised than in the horror genre.
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

Astonishing Member

Yay, another completely generic horror flick trailer. Might as well be "Paranormal Activity 742." I want to give them points for doing something different with the genre, but this trailer was straight up horror without the superhero. Can't give you credit when you're just rehashing different tropes.

Hype lost. I'll wait for word of mouth before I check out entirely, but I'm already pretty much out the door and down the block. Can't remember the last time a teaser trailer so completely made me go from interested in a movie to so completely not.
    Nicely put. Heard another poster mentioning it was made for like 30M. Now that I think about it the New Mutants probably won't be using their powers a lot in this movie since it costs too much. Too bad.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

That is kind of what I thought. They didn't show any of the kid using their powers even just a little? Without them mentioning it you would have never even know this movie was about kids with powers at all. This looks to me like they are trying to make it look way more like It than anything else. I was worried ever since they said this was going to be a horror story because right now it just looks like your average "kids stuck in and evil asylum" movie. What do you think would happen if you went into this movie after only seeing this trailer and all of a sudden you have a girl turning into a wolf and a guy blasting through walls? You would be pissed you got the old bait and switch.

Very disapointed.

I don't think this will work. As a person who was starting to have more faith in FOX than Marvel Studios, I doubt I'll go see this. Horror movies are a complete pass for me. I'm sure I'll watch it on free TV or at least try too.

If I didn't read stuff online I would've had no idea that doctor was Cecilia Reyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    One thing I'm curious about now regarding Magik: in the comics, her backstory is removed from the Demon Bear story, so I have to wonder if a) they're just going to make her a teleporter and not go into the Belasco stuff or b) tie together the Demon Bear and Illyana's transformation into Magik. I could see that, and it wouldn't bother me. If this leads directly to a sequel about Illyana's time in the demon realm and the New Mutants having to rescue her or something, I'd be okay with it. (and it'd be a sequel that'd stay in the horror genre rather than moving them into the more traditional X-Film type movies)
    I've seen theories the person in the clown mask might be Belasco.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If I didn't read stuff online I would've had no idea that doctor was Cecilia Reyes.

I've seen theories the person in the clown mask might be Belasco.
    My out-of-leftfield guess for the person in the smiley-face mask is Orphan Maker.

We'll see how it goes, but for the most part, I've been enjoying both the MCU's & Fox's "Superhero + [insert genre]" approach to comic book movies over the past few years. A horror movie is inevitably going to both stick to certain tropes but variation means subversion or averted tropes as well. Plus, for a change, since they're superheroes, they can actually fight back -- that's my only real qualm of horror movies in general.

One day, i'd love to see a Ghostbusters movie with far more emphasis on horror and thriller while keeping some comedy, since by design they have the tools exactly to fight that sort of thing. For now, this is the closest we'll get to seeing childhood heroes facing off against deeply adult fears.

Mighty Member

Looks good! For people wondering why powers weren't shown yet, this is a teaser. Chances are good that the CGI for the movie isn't finished yet. When the full trailers come out, I'm betting we'll see some powers.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Wow, the success of IT is really affecting how Hollywood markets things, even when the only connecting tissue is Coming-Of-Ageness.
    This is clearly not the case. But, I can only hope that this is closer to It than a typical haunted house movie. It was good, not because of the scares, but because of the character work. This didn't show too too much. So there will probably be elements of character work and some more superhero elements. I'd be upset if it's just a generic horror movie as the New Mutants is a favorite comic of mine. Not judging based on this.

Amazing Member

I'm sorry but I completely hated it. It looks so cheap and weak and reminds me of the first trailer of Suicide Squad. I thought the NM director was so proud of how closely he would stick to the source material, this doesn't have the feel at all of New Mutants. It looked like 1000 other horror movies without any feeling. ZZzzzzzzzzzz
    very very disappointed in this
    Last edited by Firebeam; 10-13-2017 at 06:50 PM.