Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Looks more cohesive as a trailer, this time. Still not entirely sold on the whole Asylum approach - it feels a little like Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors. to me, which is not necessarily bad. Is this going to be the MCU approach - all mutants go to an Insane Asylum?

Illyana coming out of the portal at the end, though - wow!
    The Asylum approach has always been an interesting concept for new mutants. if you have seen FX Legion, which I call the first official new mutants live adaption. the entire first season is set in an asylum and has heavy horror undertones. infact now I think of it, New mutants does look nothing like any of the xmen films, it looks more like legion.

its could be basically the same thing because legion is also a new mutants character.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 01-08-2020 at 03:31 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Fox still feels like a pea compared to the issue that goes on with studios. Believe me there have been past threads of this and fox usually comes off as the least of the worst.

New Mutants looks nothing like any of the x-men films. There is no built in formula here as there was for Gunn, Waititi, Coogler, its Josh Bonnes trying to bring his vision to life. If the movie succeeds, he, not fox will get the credit.

If you want any of the feige stuff compared to New mutants, we can make a thread about Dr Strange 2 and let’s all try and make sense of why Feige won’t make it horror, when Fox just did horror with new mutants. Doesn’t sound like any of the Feige directors are in the same place as Bonnes. Bones should be compared more to Mangold, Miller , Phillips for recent call backs. he is actually making his own movie.
    If Fox was really supportive of directors, they wouldn’t have put New Mutants on the shelf for reshoots they never got around to doing. I guess they were too busy not doing any marketing for Dark Phoenix. Or maybe they were busy losing directors for Gambit. Or they were busying developing Doo, or Madrox, or the Ketty Pride solo.

The idea that Fox is supportive or even competent is laughable. At least Disney makes movies that people like.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This would've been in production back when the movies were teasing Sinister (like the tag at the end of Apocalypse) so you never know...
    The end of apocalypse teased sinister? I must have slept , can't remember a single thing about the film, other than I hated it. it felt like Singer was trying to be something he was not, I think it was more Kinberg's influence. though they should have done Sinister first before Apocalypse.

During production, it was rumoured James Mcvoy will appear in new mutants. never heard anything else.

BANNED

Legion did not happen entirely in an asylum by any stretch of definition for those words. Not that anyone should put stock into that given the poster in question has openly admitted to have not watched that show. I guarantee you New Mutants will be nothing like a Noah Hawley production.

This was a well-made trailer, I'll give them that.

New Mutants looks nothing like any of the x-men films.
    It also looks nothing like the New Mutants comics I've read, either. Whether that's a good or bad thing will depend on how the cast and crew acquit themselves.

There is no built in formula here as there was for Gunn, Waititi, Coogler, its Josh Bonnes trying to bring his vision to life. If the movie succeeds, he, not fox will get the credit.
    And yet Gunn, Waititi, and Coogler have been getting the lion's share of the credit for how their formula-made movies turned out, esp. in regards to the stuff they brought to the table. (I've listened to some of the comments and discussions they've had about how they approached their work and it ain't much different from hearing James Mangold discuss Logan.)

If you want any of the feige stuff compared to New mutants, we can make a thread about Dr Strange 2 and let’s all try and make sense of why Feige won’t make it horror, when Fox just did horror with new mutants. Doesn’t sound like any of the Feige directors are in the same place as Bonnes. Bones should be compared more to Mangold, Miller , Phillips for recent call backs. he is actually making his own movie.
    You know, if I was Gunn, Waititi, Coogler, or anyone else who'd made a movie for Marvel Studios, I'd be very offended at that. (As noted before, they do make their own movies; why elsw where they contracted in the first place?).

The end of apocalypse teased sinister? I must have slept , can't remember a single thing about the film, other than I hated it. it felt like Singer was trying to be something he was not, I think it was more Kinberg's influence. though they should have done Sinister first before Apocalypse.
    The "Essex" briefcase at the end, with the collection of Wolverine's DNA samples? Singer was trying to set up Logan (suggest how the scientists who created Laura got the DNA to make her), but, for various reasons, James Mangold didn't use Sinister, leaving that scene as either a loose thread or making the Essex briefcase an Easter egg instead of the foreshadowing it was supposed to

During production, it was rumoured James Mcvoy will appear in new mutants. never heard anything else.
    As I understand it, somewhere along the line, when the sale to Disney was in talks or finalized, the movie was scrubbed of all references to the Fox series continuity. Could be that, or just an idea that didn't make it through the production process, as always happens.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

The Asylum approach has always been an interesting concept for new mutants. if you have seen FX Legion, which I call the first official new mutants live adaption. the entire first season is set in an asylum and has heavy horror undertones. infact now I think of it, New mutants does look nothing like any of the xmen films, it looks more like legion.

its could be basically the same thing because legion is also a new mutants character.
    Do tell us more about the world of New Mutants. I will try to read some new mutants comics before the film is out. We need to get these out here. We need to re-program minds to accept comic films as fine wine, not sodas. I have reached my last nerves with the MCU spoofy nonsense as the definite Marvel. The world knows nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post

And yet Gunn, Waititi, and Coogler have been getting the lion's share of the credit for how their formula-made movies turned out, esp. in regards to the stuff they brought to the table. (I've listened to some of the comments and discussions they've had about how they approached their work and it ain't much different from hearing James Mangold discuss Logan.)

You know, if I was Gunn, Waititi, Coogler, or anyone else who'd made a movie for Marvel Studios, I'd be very offended at that. (As noted before, they do make their own movies; why elsw where they contracted in the first place?).

Agreed on both parts. We're willing to give Manfold the benefit of the doubt and the risk to try something based on his body of work. That led to Logan. I can't see why we can't afford that to Gunn, Waititi, and Coogler, especially since they were big creative names just like Mangold. Allowing them to do their thing obviously revitalized the MCU, but when studios gave them a chance before the MCU, we had films like Super, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, and Fruitvale Station, all of which are fondly remembered, and critically acclaimed well before their names ever came up for the MCU.

Get the vision down, yes, but get the talent to make the vision pop. It's often different than the commission, and that's fine. That's why producers typically aren't directors on the same project. Trust the talent. Thor: Ragnarok under a different director wouldn't have been ingrained with so much Pacific Islander imagery or the type of humor found in What We Do in the Shadows. Give the same script to a director of Hallmark Christmas movies and it's most certainly going to have a different visual and more lackluster energy.

(Plus, I'm surely not here for ****-talking of Gunn, Waititi, and Coogler on a thread that doesn't really warrant it. They did what they do and they succeeded while doing it, and they have nothing to do with the New Mutants. Why does liking an X-Trailer mean shitting on the MCU once again, and vice versa? It's not a zero sum game.)
    Last edited by Cyke; 01-09-2020 at 02:35 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    Do tell us more about the world of New Mutants. I will try to read some new mutants comics before the film is out. We need to get these out here. We need to re-program minds to accept comic films as fine wine, not sodas. I have reached my last nerves with the MCU spoofy nonsense as the definite Marvel. The world knows nothing.
    Just to clarify X-men movies are the fine wine in this Definition? To say with a straight face that compared to the MCU the X-Men movies are so much better or "higher art" is either an Agenda or very sad.

The trailer looks good, but it is just a trailer so who knows whether the actual film will be good or a dud. Based on the last couple of x-men films, i won't rush out to see it opening night but if word-of-mouth and reviews are halfway decent i will likely go see it. The cast seems pretty good as well, fwiw.

As far as comics, I've only really read the Bill Sienkiewicz-drawn issues. When i was a kid, his far-out artwork really stood out compared to the other comics on the spinner rack. At the time, i wasn't as enthusiastic about the stories as it felt like they were less action-packed than the uncanny x-men issues, but rereading them now the issues are pretty compelling, Claremont was still firing on all cylinders particularly in terms of characterizations of each of the kids. I pretty much stopped reading around issue 40 or so, but it was fun to see Cannonball and Sunspot more recently in stuff like Hickman's avengers comics.

The movie seems at least somewhat inspired by Sienkiewicz' first arc on the comic, the Demon Bear Saga. However, in the comics the team was already established at that point and it took place largely in an ordinary hospital rather than an asylum, so obviously the movie will be very different from the comic story. I'm also not sure how similar the characterizations of the heroes will be - in the comics Sunspot was short-tempered and impulsive, Rahne was very timid and insecure, Magik was a bit less malevolent than she seems here (despite spending years in limbo), Sam felt like was responsible for his younger teammates and was always trying to be the grown-up. Dani had a leadership role on the team as well, and this story focused on her exploration of her ancestry (in particular, addressing a mystery about the fate of her parent's deaths years before iirc)

Legion seems like a completely different beast than this movie, although the character did debut during Sienkiewicz' run of New Mutants. Aside from both NM and Legion being institutionalized, I don't expect much else in common between the two.

Disney's D23 says new mutants is part of the mcu? Huh?

https://www.cbr.com/disney-new-mutan...atic-universe/

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Disney's D23 says new mutants is part of the mcu? Huh?

https://www.cbr.com/disney-new-mutan...atic-universe/
    They removed it later. Looks like a possible spoiler or mistake on D23.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

New Mutants looks more interesting than any of the upcoming Marvel stuff. Looking forward to it.

And after bad luck on bad luck, new mutants has run out of luck! Direct to streaming!

https://movieweb.com/the-new-mutants...eaming-amazon/

BANNED

And after bad luck on bad luck, new mutants has run out of luck! Direct to streaming!

most movies are being released through streaming for the time being. wouldn't call it bad luck, instead it's the new normal.

Astonishing Member

It's for the best. How things were headed it was never getting released lol