Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Amazing Spider-Man Newspaper strip Appreciation Thread

I'm surprised that there's no appreciation thread for the newspaper strip version of Spider-Man.

This is the best version of Spider-Man. He's strong, and has a very hard head.

He's so tough that he took out both Wolverine and Sabretooth.

It's a good thing that he wasn't in Spider-Verse or he would have single handedly have taken out the Inheritors.

And he always plans ahead.

And it has one of the best Spider-Man villains of all time.

Seriously who needs Green Goblin, Doc Ock, Venom, or Carnage when you have Clown 9.

Plus it's only one of two canon's where Peter is still married to his true love.

Sorry for the double posts but the site wouldn't let me put all the images in one post.

BANNED

Probably my favorite Spider-Man universe at the moment. It's easy to follow, uplifting and uncomplicated.

It even has a recurring love story between Aunt May and Mole Man (who goes by the name "Melvin" when he's being social)

MJ is still an actress in the strip and has recently hit the big time with her straight-to-video "Marvella" franchise getting the big screen treatment. Most of the strip's villains tend to crush on her an awful lot (Kraven, Namor, Xanadu etc)

Peter is still a photographer, and at one point got to fight Jonah, who convinced Tony to let him borrow his original armor (actually, the artists who worked on the weekday and weekend strips couldn't seem to coordinate on this, they both drew completely different versions, one golden, one not), Robbie almost quit the Bugle for good too, but came back only if Jameson apologized to Spidey...which he did, but then he quickly rebuffed the gesture.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 10-13-2017 at 03:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Probably my favorite Spider-Man universe at the moment. It's easy to follow, uplifting and uncomplicated.

It even has a recurring love story between Aunt May and Mole Man (who goes by the name "Melvin" when he's being social)
    Personally I find the Aunt May x Mole Man relationship to be more interesting than the relationship 616 Aunt May had with Jameson's dad.

Jonah, who convinced Tony to let him borrow his original armor

That last panel is really funny.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdSpider View Post
    It's a good thing that he wasn't in Spider-Verse or he would have single handedly have taken out the Inheritors.
    He was in Spider-Verse. At least the inheritors visited his world, but couldn't function due to the nature of that reality where even the simplest actions took a week to occur.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    He was in Spider-Verse. At least the inheritors visited his world, but couldn't function due to the nature of that reality where even the simplest actions took a week to occur.
    The bigger question is why it never became a part of Battleworld when most of the multi-verse was destroyed, Wikipedia reckons Karn protecting it inside a pocket reality had something to do with it.

BANNED

I feel the resolution to the current storyline plays like some Adult Swim comedy, it's great.

Subterrania's current ruler Tyranus is going to kill a captive Peter and Mole Man, but Kala has a change of heart and tricks him into searching for a chalice to drink (because the effects of the youth fountain are wearing off), she frees the captives and tries to take them away, Tyranus finds the chalice and returns to find his wife betrayed him. Kala instructs Peter to cut off the currents of the fountain of youth by caving in the stream. He does so, and a desperate, aging Tyranus is then forced to take a vow not to harm Spidey and Melvin or attack the surface world in exchange for the stream being unblocked...which means Peter has to dig it up all over again. He succeeds (he's almost swept away by the stream in the process) and Tyranus and Kala go back to rule over thier kingdom, despite Kala almost willingly allowing Tyranus to die so as to spare Mole Man (her ex-fiance) his wrath. True love amiright?

Now, I had initially thought Tyranus was going to die and free up Kala to be with Mole Man again, thus he would not have a reason to marry May, but it seems that Moley is still intent on tying the knot with her. I wonder what the catch will be to prevent that?

BANNED

Talking Happy Birthday Joe Sinnott!!!

Spider-Man and His Inker: Wrists Still Going Strong a Half-Century Later
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/02/n...ury-later.html
    "After 41 years at Marvel, where he produced thousands of comic books for the likes of Captain America, the Incredible Hulk and Fantastic Four,
    Mr. Sinnott retired to work exclusively on the Spider-Man Sunday comic strip, distributed by King Features to newspapers across America. Mr. Lee still develops the story line."

http://www.comicsreporter.com/index....y_joe_sinnott/

BANNED

I remember linking to that article here some months back. Also recall it spoiled a bit of the ongoing strip story at the time

Speaking of which, it looks like Peter's trying to persuade Mole Man to be more responsible to his own minions than his Aunt May this week.

It's funny to me how different the newspaper strip version of Mole Man is to the Renew Your Vows version. Before Renew Your Vows I had never read a comic with Mole Man in it.

BANNED

It's funny to me how different the newspaper strip version of Mole Man is to the Renew Your Vows version. Before Renew Your Vows I had never read a comic with Mole Man in it.
    You've never read much Fantastic Four then I presume?

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    You've never read much Fantastic Four then I presume?
    I basically only read Spider-Man comics when I was growing up.

BANNED

I basically only read Spider-Man comics when I was growing up.
    Fair enough. I stuck to Spidey exclusively when I was younger too.

It's okay, I've never been a huge fan though. The strip is a tad too corny more often than not for my tastes.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."