Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Tony Stark's Family Drama

Give the emphasis that Tony's family background figures into the IRON MAN film-universe, I found it interesting that many IRON MAN comics from the Silver Age on barely even mention anything about said family.

Now, I had to stop collecting comics in the late nineties, so I don't know how the IRON MAN feature developed. My question: did any comics writer lay the groundwork for the conflicted version of Tony that appears in the movies? I have to say that even when he goes through his alcoholism phase during the Micheline run, that still doesn't seem to play into his parental conflicts.

I see from this essay that CIVIL WAR set up the situation about his parents being killed, but that's not so much about the intrinsic family drama.

His family drama has been butchered and cluttered even more in the comics. The movies would do well to stay far away from it.

Man, his family history is something else in the comics. Everything from his dad being neglectful because of his work, his affiliations with SHIELD, straight up to just being abusive due to alcoholism.

Now it's in part because he's adopted and his real mom was also in SHIELD and was a singer working undercover.

BANNED

Don't forget Howard and Nathaniel Richards working with Tesla and DaVinci against Newton. Plus the implication that the accident was staged... I liked it more when Tony was just a rich industrialist that through his wits became a billionaire... No secret agents, no adoptions, no aliens. Just an upper class familywith a kid that reached the heights... I miss 60s Tony...

Quote Originally Posted by Techno_Knight View Post
    Don't forget Howard and Nathaniel Richards working with Tesla and DaVinci against Newton. Plus the implication that the accident was staged... I liked it more when Tony was just a rich industrialist that through his wits became a billionaire... No secret agents, no adoptions, no aliens. Just an upper class familywith a kid that reached the heights... I miss 60s Tony...
    You mean when SHIELD wasn't even the first SHIELD? And Galactus had visited Earth before? lol

I used to like that stuff until it was revealed that Tony's dad was just some Hydra-douche instead of being related to Tesla.

The "Tony was adopted when the Starks tried to have another kid with the help of aliens and his biological mom is a British singer" is beyond dumb. Really wish. Marvel would get on with it and retcon that retcon away.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

yeah i could use something to put me to sleep some nights.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    Eh, tastes vary. I enjoyed the Howard Hughes Stark of early years very much.

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    never read Armor Wars, huh? fair enough

Answering to the OP:

Boy, you just missed the biggest family drama.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Answering to the OP:

Boy, you just missed the biggest family drama.
    So I am understanding that a writer named Gillen is one of the first guys to start delving into the backstory of Tony Stark, and then that Brian Bendis expanded further on that in his rather controversial manner?

It belatedly occurs to me that I did read the O'Neil issues of the early 1980s, wherein it's revealed that Obadiah Stane was a former partner to Howard Stark, and that Stark died in an auto accident. But although Tony once more spiraled down into alcoholism in those issues, I don't remember much family drama stuff. The first Marvel movie arguably made its version of Stane into a displaced father-figure, but it doesn't seem to me that Tony had issues with his dad in the early comics.

For that matter, I have the sense that Howard Stark remained a pretty shadowy figure up until the 1990s, that there wasn't much of this, "My father was this great genius and I his son feel immense pressure to outdo him." Or did that trope turn up earlier than I recollect?