BANNED

Default Raven: Daughter of Darkness miniseries by Marv Wolfman & Pop Mhan

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2017/10...turns-to-raven
    Marv Wolfman, the legendary comic book writer who along with George Perez introduced us to the half-demon hero in the pages of NEW TEEN TITANS, is once again returning to her world with RAVEN: DAUGHTER OF DARKNESS. A 12-issue miniseries illustrated by Pop Mhan, Daughter of Darkness is a follow-up to Wolfman’s earlier miniseries, RAVEN, which found the hero otherwise known as Rachel Roth settling in with her Aunt Alice and her family, getting used to attending high school and, since it’s Raven, battling a strange otherworldly adversary that was abducting teenagers all throughout town.

In Raven: Daughter of Darkness, Rachel will face another frightening supernatural threat, only this time, it’s one that’s very much grounded in reality. At the same time, she’ll also be dealing with some drama in her personal life as her mother returns and mixes things up with her Aunt Alice. (It’s going to get messy, guys. And when things get messy around Raven, giant frightening death demons tend to get unleashed in our world.)

But most intriguing of all is that Raven: Daughter of Darkness will also introduce another Marv Wolfman character to the world of Raven—Baron Winters. It’s been a while since we’ve seen the not-always-noble leader of Night Force, but Daughter of Darkness will bring him back as someone who will have to intercede on Raven’s behalf. But should she trust him?

In this all-new miniseries, Raven faces a new, otherworldly menace that is all too grounded in reality. Plus, Raven’s personal life is in an uproar as her mother and aunt struggle for the soul of a Titan! It’s up to Baron Winters of the Night Force to intercede on her behalf as she embarks on the adventure called “The Girls With the Anime Eyes”!

On sale JANUARY 10 • 32 pg, FC, 1 of 12, $3.99 US • RATED T

I find when it comes to Raven: TRUST NO ONE.

How was the previous mini by Wolfman? I hope Raven is less like her animated counterpart and more like her pre-reboot self, but I don't think that will be the case.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

BANNED

Yeah I never even caught the first miniseries. Was it something recent? It's cool that he's being allowed to write one of the characters he helped create.
    EDIT: I'm stupid. I read the first miniseries, it wasn't all that great. Cool characters, except the villain was pretty lame. Also that one character who wouldn't stop bringing up how Raven only wore black? Like shut up who cares?

Raven looks better and better.
    Although, I still haven't used to the more youthful face.
    At least the New52 Birdwoman look is finally becoming a distant memory. And what elements they did keep actually work now.

And it's great to see Baron Winters being used again.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

If this is a follow-up to Wolfman's previous Raven miniseries I really hope that Rachel's family on her mother's side are going to reappear. I genuinely liked them and I feel that having Raven's human aunt involved in the mother/daughter reunion would make for an even more interesting angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post
    If this is a follow-up to Wolfman's previous Raven miniseries I really hope that Rachel's family on her mother's side are going to reappear. I genuinely liked them and I feel that having Raven's human aunt involved in the mother/daughter reunion would make for an even more interesting angle.
    The same OPINION.

They mention her mother and uncle.. We should see that family, or a similar family..
    Last edited by adrikito; 10-14-2017 at 01:40 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post
    Appears to be one of the central themes. Raven is still living with the aunt, and asides from tackling Baron Winters and whatever is following with him at that end, she story is also about Arella and her sister arguing over Raven.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    the story is also about Arella and her sister arguing over Raven.
    That would make me a happy comic book reader! Giving a character who was defined (one could even say "fagocitated", at times) by her daddy issues for 30+ years the chance to be involved in family dynamics is among the best ideas Wolfman has had in his last two decades as a comic writer.

Fantastic Member

So instead of an ongoing solo series its gonna be a series of minis for Raven, depending on sales of course.

I dig it

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

This is the way they used to do it. Give the character a mini and if that does well give them another mini. If that sells then you think about going into an ongoing series. That is how books like Deadpool, Robin, and Birds of Prey got started. You build up some buzz with minis instead of jumping straight into a series.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    This is the way they used to do it. Give the character a mini and if that does well give them another mini. If that sells then you think about going into an ongoing series. That is how books like Deadpool, Robin, and Birds of Prey got started. You build up some buzz with minis instead of jumping straight into a series.
    What was the average sales number of the last Raven mini?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    What was the average sales number of the last Raven mini?
    Not massive, but that's about as much as I can say. But then again the physical amount of books printed for something like this was likely not the same as the big titles.

I do recall the first issue got a second printing. Link

I do agree with Zero Hunter that throwing out a bunch of mini-series for Raven is better than trying to launch a solo-book right now. For one, the writer can focus on this one story without having to worry about what comes next and what other people are doing. And also I do kinda worry that a solo for Raven would end up much like the ones Cyborg and Storm have gotten where there seems to be a genuine struggle to simply define the characters outside of the teams thats spawned them and find interesting things to do with them outside of that one story they added to the team book.
    And Wolfman, to his credit, we can atleast be certain that Big Daddy Trigon is not going to show up in person... because Marv has already told his definitive Raven/Trigon story and has no reason to go back to it.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    They need to keep doing this. Not every ongoing is going to succeed but Minis hold interest with their short stories and it's easy to pick up.