Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Jenny Finn (published by Dark Horse) starts in November

Jenny Finn #1

London's dockside is threatened by the twin terrors of a plague that leaves bodies covered in tentacles and a slasher killing women in the night, all of which began after the arrival of a strange young girl who is followed by whispers of doom wherever she goes.

* Mike Mignola and Troy Nixey's acclaimed series!

* Colored for the first time by nine-time Eisner Award-winner Dave Stewart!

''Filled with its creator's trademark spirit mediums, ghastly tentacles, and general all-around weirdness& good, creepy stuff.''--Booklist

Creators
    Writer: Mike Mignola, Troy Nixey
    Artist: Troy Nixey
    Colorist: Dave Stewart
    Cover Artist: Mike Mignola

Genre: Crime, Horror

Publication Date: November 15, 2017
    Format: FC, 32 pages; Miniseries
    Price: $3.99
    UPC: 7 61568 00218 8 00111
    https://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/3001-300/Jenny-Finn-1

Anybody else planning to get this next month?
    (Or do people already have the original printings / collections from other publishers?)

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I have the originals and I loved them, I wonder what it'll look like in color so I might pick up the first issue at least.

I missed this one the first time around, so I'm very happy about the rerelease. No surprise, Dave Stewart's colours look fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    I missed this one the first time around, so I'm very happy about the rerelease. No surprise, Dave Stewart's colours look fantastic.
    Yeah, I loved that the pallet was subtle and muted so it still kept the feel of the black and white art.

I remember this book being wildly divisive when it came out, and honestly I think that was because in 1999 Mignola hadn't done a project where he didn't do the art so I think a lot of the push back came from the fact that he only did the covers. Now that him doing art duty is more the exception rather than the rule I wonder if more people will be more open to the book.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Yeah, I loved that the pallet was subtle and muted so it still kept the feel of the black and white art.

I remember this book being wildly divisive when it came out, and honestly I think that was because in 1999 Mignola hadn't done a project where he didn't do the art so I think a lot of the push back came from the fact that he only did the covers. Now that him doing art duty is more the exception rather than the rule I wonder if more people will be more open to the book.
    What you say about art duties isn't true, if you note for instance 'Zombieworld: Champions of the Worms' in 1997, or the 'Abe Sapien: Drums of the Dead' titular story from 1998, featuring other talents on the interiors (or even another writer too for the latter). Also the beautiful 'Hellboy Junior' as well as 'Rusty Razorclam: President of Neptune' appear joint projects with close collaborators which precede 'Jenny Finn'.
    Not to mention how before Hellboy mr Mike will have made quite a name for himself with doing things from covers to part interiors to (full color) illustrations, or inking only, or pencils (usually), except writing (not nearly as much).

The thing about 'Jenny Finn' I feel to remember is that somehow it got stalled or remained not published fully for years, since it started coming out through Oni Press in 1999, yet getting finalized in two parts, first through Atomeka Press in 2006 and then Boom Studios in 2011 if I recall correctly.
    Not a rewarding reading experience having to assume a title isn't going to be concluded, although I couldn't be too sure how any of it had been going down, since in the early 2000's I could hardly find access to such information other than perhaps Ask.Jeeves.com...

Great title nonetheless, and I'm looking forward to reading it in Dave Stewarts' colors!
    (Although now I'm wondering who colored the covers for the earlier editions. Gonna have to check that.)
    Last edited by Kees_L; 11-15-2017 at 07:34 PM.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

I was not aware of this when it first came out.
    It is wonderfully creepy and I am looking forward to the next issue.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post
    What you say about art duties isn't true, if you note for instance 'Zombieworld: Champions of the Worms' in 1997, or the 'Abe Sapien: Drums of the Dead' titular story from 1998, featuring other talents on the interiors (or even another writer too for the latter). Also the beautiful 'Hellboy Junior' as well as 'Rusty Razorclam: President of Neptune' appear joint projects with close collaborators which precede 'Jenny Finn'.
    Not to mention how before Hellboy mr Mike will have made quite a name for himself with doing things from covers to part interiors to (full color) illustrations, or inking only, or pencils (usually), except writing (not nearly as much).

The thing about 'Jenny Finn' I feel to remember is that somehow it got stalled or remained not published fully for years, since it started coming out through Oni Press in 1999, yet getting finalized in two parts, first through Atomeka Press in 2006 and then Boom Studios in 2011 if I recall correctly.
    Not a rewarding reading experience having to assume a title isn't going to be concluded, although I couldn't be too sure how any of it had been going down, since in the early 2000's I could hardly find access to such information other than perhaps Ask.Jeeves.com...

Great title nonetheless, and I'm looking forward to reading it in Dave Stewarts' colors!
    (Although now I'm wondering who colored the covers for the earlier editions. Gonna have to check that.)
    I had forgotten about Zombie world, but the point still stands with Drums of the Dead as when that came out most said that if it weren't for the back up story,"Heads", by Mignola they would have skipped the issue and because it was neither written by nor drawn by Mignola I didn't feel the need to mention it above.

I had forgotten about Zombie world, but the point still stands with Drums of the Dead as when that came out most said that if it weren't for the back up story,"Heads", by Mignola they would have skipped the issue and because it was neither written by nor drawn by Mignola I didn't feel the need to mention it above.
    Everybody would be always free to either buy or skip any title I agree with you, so that wouldn't mean a title like Jenny Finn would need to get designated as "wildly devisive" at all.

Particularly since both Zombieworld and Jenny Finn aren't presented as "from the pages of Mignola's Hellboy" and as such it wasn't so that any fans couldn't just be to enjoy it.

Whereas I also agree that Abe Sapien: Drums of the Dead WAS or could be called surprising to 'Mignolaverse fans' as being a total first when it came out as being written both as drawn by different people than Mignola - although I still wouldn't call it "divisive" since anyone was still totally free to either buy it or skip it.

Everybody would be always free to either buy or skip any title I agree with you, so that wouldn't mean a title like Jenny Finn would need to get designated as "wildly devisive" at all.

Particularly since both Zombieworld and Jenny Finn aren't presented as "from the pages of Mignola's Hellboy" and as such it wasn't so that any fans couldn't just be to enjoy it.

Whereas I also agree that Abe Sapien: Drums of the Dead WAS or could be called surprising to 'Mignolaverse fans' as being a total first when it came out as being written both as drawn by different people than Mignola - although I still wouldn't call it "divisive" since anyone was still totally free to either buy it or skip it.
    It was definitely divisive among fans, that's not really up for debate. When it came back there was a ton of fan back lash about the issue that I remember very vividly and it's evidenced in many fan reviews still online, and further even to this day there is a segment of the fanbase that isn't a fan of anything Mignola related if he isn't doing the art. That segment has become less vocal as the years have gone by and it's become more commonplace, but it still exists.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 11-16-2017 at 10:45 AM.

It was definitely divisive among fans, that's not really up for debate. When it came back there was a ton of fan back lash about the issue that I remember very vividly and it's evidenced in many fan reviews still online, and further even to this day there is a segment of the fanbase that isn't a fan of anything Mignola related if he isn't doing the art. That segment has become less vocal as the years have gone by and it's become more commonplace, but it still exists.
    Then such tons and segments will be full of crap even if they do exist - I'm talking what could be given credence to, instead of just the crap. I'll leave it there I guess.

Then such tons and segments will be full of crap even if they do exist - I'm talking what could be given credence to, instead of just the crap. I'll leave it there I guess.
    People like what they like, I don't agree with them but I'm not about to say they're crap. I'm just saying that now with Mignola being not on art more often these days perhaps some who were turned off by that back in the day may not have the same issue now that it's become more normalized.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 11-16-2017 at 11:22 AM.

People like what they like, I don't agree with them but I'm not about to say they're crap. I'm just saying that now with Mignola being not on art more often these days perhaps some who were turned off by that back in the day may not have the same issue now that it's become more normalized.
    Look, the fact that Jenny Finn appeared the way it did meant an opportunity for its makers to tell a pretty unique and wonderfully new story, with story motifs and particulars quite of its own, being rendered and visualized by an established comic book artist bringing all the more particulars and finesse to it.
    When people don't want to give such a chance, for basically whatever reason, coming online for dismissing a book for whatever, I'll see no problem to argue against that - perhaps I'll make it a point to counter the dismissiveness with argumentation that actually holds water. And to me it doesn't hold water to dismiss this book for mr Mike not doing the interiors. That's my official opinion on this regardless of what's "normalized" or not.

A recent Troy Nixey interview on where Jenny Finn comes from: http://www.roguesportal.com/intervie...st-troy-nixey/

The coloring definitely worked here. It feels very washed out in an appropriate, dank and murky for the scenes it was depicting, but bright enough for distinguishing people and places when appropriate.

By the way, I hadn't read this story before, but the timeframe and the "fishiness" brought to my mind the Sir Edward arc of The Mysteries of Unland.

I regret that in this thread I responded to thwhtGuardian harshly or angry-sounding and I apologize for that.

I meant to say merely that a title like Jenny Finn in my opinion should not be receiving backlash purely because of mr Mike not doing interiors.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 11-19-2017 at 05:01 PM.