Mighty Member

Default Any good Metallo comics?

I only know of him from the cartoons I watched as a kid but I don't know any comics with him in it

Fantastic Member TruthAndJustice's Avatar

Offhand I can't think of any great Metallo-centered story arcs from any Superman comics. He's been in plenty of Superman stories but over the last 30 years few of them have been just about him.

I'll keep thinking...

Metallo's a bit player in a lot of arcs, but rarely is he the main antagonist of a story on his own.

I'm not sure he's ever been the main villain of a really good comic. -sweatdrop-
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Amazing Member

Byrne's first issue of Superman(Superman 1) is a decent Metallo story. Also Metallo makes an appearance in the Brainiac Trilogy by Roger Stern https://comicvine.gamespot.com/the-b...gy/4045-56514/

Both these comics are very early in the Post Crisis...so expect some huge differences.
    Last edited by Milton Fine; 10-15-2017 at 03:54 PM.

I like his first-ever appearance even though it's just a simple and straightforward Golden Age story. That version of Metallo was very different though (in fact I think the only things he has in common with the more well-known version is some of his powers and the "metal man" theme, literally everything else is different), and named "Metalo", actually. But it was interesting because Superman rarely went up against supervillains who could match him in strength back then. If you're interested, you can find it in Superman Chronicles Vol 9, among other places I'm sure. It's an interesting historical note if nothing else. He also had a good role in Superman/Batman Public Enemies, though he wasn't the main villain, and that's a good comic if you're just looking for something fun.

Hopefully others can think of better suggestions than I, as I'd like to hear them too. I liked him in S:TAS and Lois & Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by TaliaJoy View Post
    I like his first-ever appearance even though it's just a simple and straightforward Golden Age story. That version of Metallo was very different though (in fact I think the only things he has in common with the more well-known version is some of his powers and the "metal man" theme, literally everything else is different), and named "Metalo", actually. But it was interesting because Superman rarely went up against supervillains who could match him in strength back then. If you're interested, you can find it in Superman Chronicles Vol 9, among other places I'm sure. It's an interesting historical note if nothing else. He also had a good role in Superman/Batman Public Enemies, though he wasn't the main villain, and that's a good comic if you're just looking for something fun.

Hopefully others can think of better suggestions than I, as I'd like to hear them too. I liked him in S:TAS and Lois & Clark.
    I was thinking the same thing. I think his very first appearance is probably his best. I think it was the first time Superman faced an adversary who really challenged him physically (rather than mentally, like Luther or the ultra-humanite). It really stuck out, imo.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Fine View Post
    Byrne's first issue of Superman(Superman 1) is a decent Metallo story. Also Metallo makes an appearance in the Brainiac Trilogy by Roger Stern https://comicvine.gamespot.com/the-b...gy/4045-56514/

Both these comics are very early in the Post Crisis...so expect some huge differences.
    I struggled to think of anything bigger or better, but yeah. He had bits in so many stories, and those are the best I really have for examples. Adventures of Superman recently had a neat cameo. The Jurgens version shows some promise. Pasko did an earnest job of creating a cool Metallo, but the stories themselves were flat. Superman #1 is what I have to consider the best Metallo story.

This one is pretty cool. A bit too short but still okay. I liked it.

He had a few decent issues during Underworld Unleashed.
    Steel #21
    Adventures of Superman 546
    Action Comics 733
    Superman Man of Steel #68

Later Y2K storyline
    Superman 154 V2

Even more later
    Superman / Batman 46

This wiki gives a summary of various issues of the character. http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/John_Corben_(New_Earth)
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.