View Poll Results: What are the big reasons stopping you buying Marvel now?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Crossovers

5 4.85%
  • Rising Prices

18 17.48%
  • Decompression

2 1.94%
  • Replacing popular characters

11 10.68%
  • Treatment of characters due to movie rights

10 9.71%
  • Diversity Push

4 3.88%
  • New reader friendly

0 0%
  • Premature cancellations

4 3.88%
  • Changing/Confusing continuity

1 0.97%
  • Relaunches

3 2.91%
  • Just bad stories

31 30.10%
  • Other

14 13.59%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

bad storytelling.

i can deal with the rest. i dont have to buy events. ive supported diverse character changes. i have a pretty large budget for comics and i dont pay face value for a comic. continuity doesnt exist with marvel anymore so i stopped caring. i gave up on some characters and books long before they were part of movie deals.

its like someone said prior, it just seems so phoney and phoned in. many writers just seem to save all their creativity for their own projects and write some cookie cutter non-sense for marvel and its just so bland. and Legacy shows its still the status quo with a new Legacy banner on it like DC's Rebirth. its all marketing and bull squeeze.
    Marvel and DC comics are no different than the food at McDonalds. It will fill you up but in the end bad for your health. Read more independent publishers. Get away from the corporate homogenous cookie cutter fast food comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Funnily enough I reread Secret Wars recently and this is what struck me the most. The art in Secret Wars is for the most part great. The difference in art between Secret Wars and what Marvel publishes now is like night and day, it's a really noticeable drop in quality. Barring notable exceptions like Infamous Iron Man I think it's safe to say that the calibre of artists at Marvel simply isn't what it used to be.
    Maleev has been around the horn for over a decade now IIRC.
    Post SW there's no new artist emerging out which i like in Marvel.
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    false premise.

trolling.
    As hilarious (and telling) as this post is, can you please explain how 72 people are trolling?

Even a lot of the Marvel fans have listed out legitimate complaints in the comments. Are they trolls too?
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers

They just don't publish anything that I want to read.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dzub View Post
    Maleev has been around the horn for over a decade now IIRC.
    Post SW there's no new artist emerging out which i like in Marvel.
    Alonso made a statement around a year ago that was something to the effect of "art doesn't sell a book, and we've found out that the artist doesn't really matter" (paraphrasing). I took that to mean that they were making a conscious effort to not invest in artistic talent at the level they previously had, and I have a sneaking suspicion that they may not be investing as much in the writers either.

For me art may not sell a book on its own for more than a few issues if the writing isn't there but it can certainly push me to check a book out and maybe more importantly if the art is bad enough it will definitely keep me away from a book even if I do like the writing. I almost picked up Spirits of Vengeance last week but I just couldn't get past the art. I'm sure plenty of people are fine with it but I was really hoping for something less cartoonish and simplistic for that book.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybourbon View Post
    Alonso made a statement around a year ago that was something to the effect of "art doesn't sell a book, and we've found out that the artist doesn't really matter" (paraphrasing). I took that to mean that they were making a conscious effort to not invest in artistic talent at the level they previously had, and I have a sneaking suspicion that they may not be investing as much in the writers either.

For me art may not sell a book on its own for more than a few issues if the writing isn't there but it can certainly push me to check a book out and maybe more importantly if the art is bad enough it will definitely keep me away from a book even if I do like the writing. I almost picked up Spirits of Vengeance last week but I just couldn't get past the art. I'm sure plenty of people are fine with it but I was really hoping for something less cartoonish and simplistic for that book.
    True, the art got so bad in Daredevil a few months ago that I had the book dropped from my pull. I might come back at some point if my favorite DD villain Mr. Fear returns, but for now I can live without the title.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

The cross overs. A book can’t go more than around 8 issues before it has to be whisked into some sort of event which partially or totally details the plot and makes it necessary for a filler issue

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    So . . . you want a return to Rob Liefeld-style of costume designs?
    Or Dave Cockrum designs. Or John Romita designs. Or Jack Kirby designs. Hell, even Jim Lee designs.

well you have to spend money to make money.
    like in any team sports, you can only go so far if you don't buy the elite,cream of the crop players.

For me,
    Good art can make some stories bearable and can draw an audience (Original Sin, CWII)
    Bad art usually turn more people off reading decent books ( Can't think of an example, maybe Romita Avengers?)
    Then There's the 6 issue Ultimate Fantastic Four run which sucked at both

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    True, the art got so bad in Daredevil a few months ago that I had the book dropped from my pull.
    Who was the artist before and the artist doing 'bad' art for you?
    Daredevil has consistent good art from Maleev to Billy Tan (IMO) and Samnee
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

BANNED

- bad writing
    - mediocre art
    - crossover interference
    - ridiculous prices

Quote Originally Posted by dzub View Post
    Who was the artist before and the artist doing 'bad' art for you?
    Daredevil has consistent good art from Maleev to Billy Tan (IMO) and Samnee
    Alec Morgan, not a fan. Couldn't even finish reading the second issue he illustrated.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    True, the art got so bad in Daredevil a few months ago that I had the book dropped from my pull. I might come back at some point if my favorite DD villain Mr. Fear returns, but for now I can live without the title.
    Exactly, that's a great example. I'd love to know how much the art has held that book back in terms of sales.

Not a fan of a lot of the current writers and I mean their storylines not personal opinions.

High Prices.

Too many crossovers and events.

General disrespect from the powers that be of the audience starting with the crap a few years ago of phasing out the FF and X-Properties and not just being honest and trying to claim fan paranoia.

Spectacular Member

Actually what he said was “except for a few names we don't observe differences in sales due do the artist name”, that's totally different from your ”paraphrases“ and doesn't imply efforts to not invest in artistic talent. Marvel has lot of great artists, it's the average American comics reader that believes that good artist means hyper realistic plastic-y Mc Niven clone that's the problem.