View Poll Results: What are the big reasons stopping you buying Marvel now?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Crossovers

5 4.85%
  • Rising Prices

18 17.48%
  • Decompression

2 1.94%
  • Replacing popular characters

11 10.68%
  • Treatment of characters due to movie rights

10 9.71%
  • Diversity Push

4 3.88%
  • New reader friendly

0 0%
  • Premature cancellations

4 3.88%
  • Changing/Confusing continuity

1 0.97%
  • Relaunches

3 2.91%
  • Just bad stories

31 30.10%
  • Other

14 13.59%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default What are the big reasons stopping you buying Marvel now?

As above ten char.

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blanchett View Post
    As above ten char.
    Increased prices, too many books for a month, lack of quality in both the narrative and the artistic ground, boredom and desire to try something different for a more affordable price ...

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_1981 View Post
    Increased prices, too many books for a month, lack of quality in both the narrative and the artistic ground, boredom and desire to try something different for a more affordable price ...
    I meant for the poll to allow mutiple choices...must have ticked the wrong box. Maybe a mod could fix it?

I feel that the pol is a bit biased.
    There is a "replacing popular characters" option but not a "not really getting rid of the old guard" option, for instance.
    "Diversity push" option, but not a "not enough diversity" option

If I had to reply to it, why am I buying less and less Marvel comics reasons would be:
    * high prices
    * premature cancellations
    * too much synergy with movie and tv shows
    * not actually getting rid of the iconic old guard (the "replacements" are just temporary and the "popular characters" are still in front of center of the major stories)
    * most comics make me feel that the Marvel Universe is tiny and has only a handful of characters (always the same characters being used as guest stars, for instance) (maybe put that on "new readers friendly")
    * most characters who are not part of the Iconic Old Guard, MCU or Legacy Darlings are snubbed by the majority of writers, unless they need a redshirt

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    I feel that the pol is a bit biased.
    There is a "replacing popular characters" option but not a "not really getting rid of the old guard" option, for instance.
    "Diversity push" option, but not a "not enough diversity" option

If I had to reply to it, why am I buying less and less Marvel comics reasons would be:
    * high prices
    * premature cancellations
    * too much synergy with movie and tv shows
    * not actually getting rid of the iconic old guard (the "replacements" are just temporary and the "popular characters" are still in front of center of the major stories)
    * most comics make me feel that the Marvel Universe is tiny and has only a handful of characters (always the same characters being used as guest stars, for instance) (maybe put that on "new readers friendly")
    * most characters who are not part of the Iconic Old Guard, MCU or Legacy Darlings are snubbed by the majority of writers, unless they need a redshirt
    Honestly Mugiwara I didn't think of "not enough diversity" option because when I did a google search to come up with the list I didn't see anyone mention that as a reason affecting sales, only the reverse.

I also had the "diversity push" and "replacing popular characters" as separate things because in my view they are separate things. If someone like Tony Stark are they more bothered that he's gone or who has replaced him?

I keep getting told diversity is the reason for the decline in sales so I included it as an anonymous option so people who actually feel that way could select it. I am genuinely curious if this is a reason affecting sales because I don't see that it is personally.

The treatment of the X-Men and the smudging from pop culture that Marvel is intent on doing.

This includes never including them on their Instagram, social media or promotion of website.
    Leaving anything X-related out of video games specifically Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite.
    Going to great lengths to not only remove them from merchandise but replace where the X-Men would be with different characters (tshirts etc)
    Killing Xavier, Cyclops, Wolverine & Madrox, giving us some of the worst stories of all time and steering the books in a horrible direction.

Fair enough. You're right about seperating "replacing characters" and "diversity push".

I went with bad stories. Marvel's books don't feel like they did decades ago. There's no heart, I guess. It's like they're just phoning it in.

Well all of these are problems and contribute to my not buying Marvel, but I voted for relaunches because my biggest problem is the constant cycle of line-wide invasive event > relaunch every year.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers

I never fully stopped buying one or two books a month but I have lost some interest after Secret Wars.

But that's about to change with Avengers No Surrender. I keep telling this but it's true. I've been wanting something EXACTLY like this since time runs out by Hickman. So I'm not going to vote. I'm about to start buying 4 issues a month.

BANNED

>Constant Relaunches
    >No respect for continuity
    >Tacky replacement of the old guard
    >Bad writting
    >Bendis reigns Supreme
    >High prices
    >Crossovers
    >"Muh decompression"
    >Unimaginative, boring, plain bad stories

I can't really choose one, but I guess I'll go with Bad Stories, since that's always the most important part.

Rising prices and disregard for any continuity are really my two biggest turn offs.

Choosing other, because while I do buy Marvel and I'm still a huge fan, it's probably known on here (and indicated in my sig) that I only buy 3 books at minimum, and all revolve primarily just one character.

I don't buy other books because of a combination of lack of free time, lack of interest, and rising prices. I do feel though that saying that "they're bad stories" is a little biased since there obviously are tons of people who DO like them and don't think they're bad. Would've been better if the option was replaced with "Not interested in current stories".
    Last edited by Xalfrea; 10-15-2017 at 06:45 AM.

BANNED

Big huge crossover events.

Also, if you ask "What are the big reasons stopping you" , make it a multiple option poll. Because relaunches, crazy prices, and premature cancellations were also pretty high on my list.

Diversity push and related stuff is why I would buy Marvel.

iMan 42s

What stopped me had nothing to do with diversity or politics but it was my LCS. During Secret Empire they ordered far too much of it and to conserve on space they put mine and a number of others sub-boxes back on the floor. Of course I arrive after they've gone through my box in its entirety so I have to find everything myself (some comics I still can't get). As a result I just stopped buying comics from them as I can just wait until the trade goes up online or buying individual issues to have mailed to me. It wasn't Marvel's fault for an LCS over-ordering but I definitely disliked the idea of my shop kicking me to the curb in favor of comics which still haven't entirely sold.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.