View Poll Results: What are the big reasons stopping you buying Marvel now?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Crossovers

5 4.85%
  • Rising Prices

18 17.48%
  • Decompression

2 1.94%
  • Replacing popular characters

11 10.68%
  • Treatment of characters due to movie rights

10 9.71%
  • Diversity Push

4 3.88%
  • New reader friendly

0 0%
  • Premature cancellations

4 3.88%
  • Changing/Confusing continuity

1 0.97%
  • Relaunches

3 2.91%
  • Just bad stories

31 30.10%
  • Other

14 13.59%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    To me it dragged and dragged

That's also in part due to the start in the cap books and the promotion.
    But, y'see, since I wasn't buying any of the Cap books, I tended to focus on just the issues of Secret Empire (which I also wasn't buying until issue #10 and the Omega issue which brought back classic/real Steve). And compared to things like Secret Wars and Civil War II, Secret Empire's ending didn't seem to be pushed out / delayed as far from what I would read/hear about the other two EVENTS. (Mind you, I wasn't buying any issues of those, either.)

For me it's the instability off releases and almost non-existent meaning for the books between events. It sucks when I'm thinking about collecting and investing time in a run when I'm always thinking in the back of my head how it'll probably be cancelled at the end of the next event so Marvel can relaunch a bunch of series every few months or a year. It's not that mini-series do this, but it's different than when you think the series should last for a good long while and might just be cut short. And also because when "everything changes" all the stories leading up to it might just feel inconsequential in a way.

Otherwise: Prices, Decompression, and sometimes just writing even with good ideas turns me off.

I hesitated between "replacing popular characters", "Treatment of characters due to movie rights" and "changing/confusing continuity" but decided to go with the former. Doesn't mean the two others are not factored into my not buying as many Marvel books as I used to. Synergy with the movies is annoying as hell, and often leads to retcons and changes to continuity that just don't make any sense when you know the whole history of the character.

Quote Originally Posted by CIA View Post
    Because I don't care at all about the characters and stories they are pushing right now. They have space to publish lazy crap like Wolverine/Hulk and Spider-Gwen/Deadpool mashups but can't give chances for estabilished characters that aren't in the movies or aren't legacies of other A and B-Listers.
    Pretty much this for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    1. Replacing beloved existing characters for inorganic diversity push
    2. Radically changing existing characters for inorganic diversity push
    3. Crapping on the fans unrepentantly
    4. Rising prices
    5. Movie synergy
    6. Flanderization everywhere
    7. Sidelining of diverse characters that already exist (Rhodey etc.) in favor of crappy replacements
    8. Rampant terrible writing
    9. Not as rampant, but still prevalent, terrible art
    Completely agree with you here.

Amazing Member

I went with Bad Stories. I feel like 90% of what I have read from them seems so uninspired both in story and art. Most of it comes off as trying to push an agenda whether its for the sake of movie synergy, promoting a certain character, promoting one team over another, milking their cash cow characters dry, or whatever the authors personal agendas may be. Either way it always comes off like writing a compelling and challenging story with some sense of continuity comes in at a distant second to whatever the primary goal is. Everything is just a cheap gimmick and that gets old fast.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    1. Replacing beloved existing characters for inorganic diversity push
    2. Radically changing existing characters for inorganic diversity push
    3. Crapping on the fans unrepentantly
    4. Rising prices
    5. Movie synergy
    6. Flanderization everywhere
    7. Sidelining of diverse characters that already exist (Rhodey etc.) in favor of crappy replacements
    8. Rampant terrible writing
    9. Not as rampant, but still prevalent, terrible art

All of this

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I'd try to buy the entire Spider-Man line if I had the money so price.

The quality of the storytelling, as well as the artistry, has been abysmal since the end of Secret Wars. The "diamonds in the rough" are extremely few and far between.

Serial storytelling dies with six issue arcs that have very little character development or subplot as well as constant relaunching and creative team changes.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

BANNED

There are many reasons why I don't buy more Marvel but given the limitations of the poll I decided to go with rising prices as my biggest complaint. As far as I can tell Marvel sells the most expensive comics in the industry and that does affect my purchasing decisions as a reader. In other circumstances I might've been willing to take a chance on a mediocre new Marvel book but these premium price points are keeping me away. I know just from this thread and what I've seen elsewhere that I'm far from alone in this attitude towards Marvel's prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    The quality of the storytelling, as well as the artistry, has been abysmal since the end of Secret Wars. The "diamonds in the rough" are extremely few and far between.
    Funnily enough I reread Secret Wars recently and this is what struck me the most. The art in Secret Wars is for the most part great. The difference in art between Secret Wars and what Marvel publishes now is like night and day, it's a really noticeable drop in quality. Barring notable exceptions like Infamous Iron Man I think it's safe to say that the calibre of artists at Marvel simply isn't what it used to be.

There's one thing that's a huge turn off for me right now that I haven't seen anybody else mention, so maybe it's just me that thinks this.

Modern "realistic" movie inspired costumes... they suck. Horribly. They look overly signed and complex when drawn and make the characters feel stiff. With their bright colors, simplistic designs, and exaggerated physics, characters used to look a lot more energetic and larger than life. Now they just look stiff and dull. There's no energy in their movements because the artists have to spend much time making sure they get every single detail, seem, and strap in the right place.

I've got plenty of other reasons, but I just wanted to mention that one.

One more thing, the shared universe has become a bit too shared. Nothing can happen anymore without EVERY hero showing up for it or being contacted about it.

I choose Other because... I still buy Marvel books? And enjoy them? It almost seems like a taboo thing to say nowadays...

Not saying there are things on the poll that I do not agree with (Pricing, premature cancellations and crossovers, for example) but overall, I am still buying/enjoying Marvel comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    There's one thing that's a huge turn off for me right now that I haven't seen anybody else mention, so maybe it's just me that thinks this.

Modern "realistic" movie inspired costumes... they suck. Horribly. They look overly signed and complex when drawn and make the characters feel stiff. With their bright colors, simplistic designs, and exaggerated physics, characters used to look a lot more energetic and larger than life. Now they just look stiff and dull. There's no energy in their movements because the artists have to spend much time making sure they get every single detail, seem, and strap in the right place.
    So . . . you want a return to Rob Liefeld-style of costume designs?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I think this entirely a matter of art style rather than costume design, and that the same art would have exactly the same amount of energy to it if the artist had drawn classic 60's costumes.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    There are many reasons why I don't buy more Marvel but given the limitations of the poll I decided to go with rising prices as my biggest complaint. As far as I can tell Marvel sells the most expensive comics in the industry and that does affect my purchasing decisions as a reader. In other circumstances I might've been willing to take a chance on a mediocre new Marvel book but these premium price points are keeping me away. I know just from this thread and what I've seen elsewhere that I'm far from alone in this attitude towards Marvel's prices.

Funnily enough I reread Secret Wars recently and this is what struck me the most. The art in Secret Wars is for the most part great. The difference in art between Secret Wars and what Marvel publishes now is like night and day, it's a really noticeable drop in quality. Barring notable exceptions like Infamous Iron Man I think it's safe to say that the calibre of artists at Marvel simply isn't what it used to be.

Yeah

the art at marvel is imo very poor for the size of publisher

I get its a taste thing, but you can still see some very flat, stagnant, uninspiring visuals, insipid characterisation, lack of facial expression, in a lot of books

there's some solid stuff too

I appreciate this is just how I feel, but I've avoided a lot of books because I felt the art was poor

In my opinion

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But, y'see, since I wasn't buying any of the Cap books, I tended to focus on just the issues of Secret Empire (which I also wasn't buying until issue #10 and the Omega issue which brought back classic/real Steve). And compared to things like Secret Wars and Civil War II, Secret Empire's ending didn't seem to be pushed out / delayed as far from what I would read/hear about the other two EVENTS. (Mind you, I wasn't buying any issues of those, either.)

Well I guess if you weren't reading them then they likely didn't feel as badly drawn out

But for me the cap books were definitely required reading for secret empire, essential part of the main book I felt

But it's also more the ever presence of the events across the line, it was everywhere I looked with CW2, secret empire was huge if you included the cap books which I felt you needed to

but if you didn't read them then of course that's a very different perspective

Price.
    More interesting stories being told elsewhere.
    Generally bored with the illusion of change inherent in company-owned comics.