View Poll Results: What are the big reasons stopping you buying Marvel now?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Crossovers

5 4.85%
  • Rising Prices

18 17.48%
  • Decompression

2 1.94%
  • Replacing popular characters

11 10.68%
  • Treatment of characters due to movie rights

10 9.71%
  • Diversity Push

4 3.88%
  • New reader friendly

0 0%
  • Premature cancellations

4 3.88%
  • Changing/Confusing continuity

1 0.97%
  • Relaunches

3 2.91%
  • Just bad stories

31 30.10%
  • Other

14 13.59%

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What are the big reasons stopping you buying Marvel now?

As above ten char.

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blanchett View Post
    As above ten char.
    Increased prices, too many books for a month, lack of quality in both the narrative and the artistic ground, boredom and desire to try something different for a more affordable price ...

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_1981 View Post
    Increased prices, too many books for a month, lack of quality in both the narrative and the artistic ground, boredom and desire to try something different for a more affordable price ...
    I meant for the poll to allow mutiple choices...must have ticked the wrong box. Maybe a mod could fix it?

I feel that the pol is a bit biased.
    There is a "replacing popular characters" option but not a "not really getting rid of the old guard" option, for instance.
    "Diversity push" option, but not a "not enough diversity" option

If I had to reply to it, why am I buying less and less Marvel comics reasons would be:
    * high prices
    * premature cancellations
    * too much synergy with movie and tv shows
    * not actually getting rid of the iconic old guard (the "replacements" are just temporary and the "popular characters" are still in front of center of the major stories)
    * most comics make me feel that the Marvel Universe is tiny and has only a handful of characters (always the same characters being used as guest stars, for instance) (maybe put that on "new readers friendly")
    * most characters who are not part of the Iconic Old Guard, MCU or Legacy Darlings are snubbed by the majority of writers, unless they need a redshirt

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    I feel that the pol is a bit biased.
    There is a "replacing popular characters" option but not a "not really getting rid of the old guard" option, for instance.
    "Diversity push" option, but not a "not enough diversity" option

If I had to reply to it, why am I buying less and less Marvel comics reasons would be:
    * high prices
    * premature cancellations
    * too much synergy with movie and tv shows
    * not actually getting rid of the iconic old guard (the "replacements" are just temporary and the "popular characters" are still in front of center of the major stories)
    * most comics make me feel that the Marvel Universe is tiny and has only a handful of characters (always the same characters being used as guest stars, for instance) (maybe put that on "new readers friendly")
    * most characters who are not part of the Iconic Old Guard, MCU or Legacy Darlings are snubbed by the majority of writers, unless they need a redshirt
    Honestly Mugiwara I didn't think of "not enough diversity" option because when I did a google search to come up with the list I didn't see anyone mention that as a reason affecting sales, only the reverse.

I also had the "diversity push" and "replacing popular characters" as separate things because in my view they are separate things. If someone like Tony Stark are they more bothered that he's gone or who has replaced him?

I keep getting told diversity is the reason for the decline in sales so I included it as an anonymous option so people who actually feel that way could select it. I am genuinely curious if this is a reason affecting sales because I don't see that it is personally.

The treatment of the X-Men and the smudging from pop culture that Marvel is intent on doing.

This includes never including them on their Instagram, social media or promotion of website.
    Leaving anything X-related out of video games specifically Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite.
    Going to great lengths to not only remove them from merchandise but replace where the X-Men would be with different characters (tshirts etc)
    Killing Xavier, Cyclops, Wolverine & Madrox, giving us some of the worst stories of all time and steering the books in a horrible direction.

Fair enough. You're right about seperating "replacing characters" and "diversity push".

Quote Originally Posted by blanchett View Post
    I meant for the poll to allow mutiple choices...must have ticked the wrong box. Maybe a mod could fix it?
    I was gonna say, "Making a choice is like choosing which of your children has to die."

Astonishing Member

There getting expansive i dont see how a weekly crossover like no surrender can last at 3.99

They focus on the same group of character's, ex OML is being severaly overused , and the time displaced X-MEN need to go the second ANAD marvel started

They don't listen to fans, some how give us new xmen vol.3 translates to hulkverine solo.

There quanity over quality

As for the diversity it would have worked if they staggered it and took there time to build up the new charaters before having them take over. But they rushed.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Blue Marvel and Monica Rambeau are really the only two characters that would make me reach for my wallet without hesitation. I don't see them in any of the titles that Marvel plans to put out in the foreseeable future, so it's an easy call for me.

I might drop in on the adult Jean Grey/Phoenix title, but not if it means she returns to the X-Men and the same trite and well-worn shenanigans with Scott and Logan or whatever. If they take her in a new direction, perhaps go as far as making her an Avenger -- or better still, bring back the Ultimates with Jean, Beta Ray Bill, Ultimate Hulk and Doc Savage replacing MAC, Black Panther, and Captain Marvel, then I might stick around.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

I wouldn't say "stopping me" from buying Marvel, but a HUGE turnoff to what was once a very large pull-list would be:
    #1: Rising prices...(a four-year old and 2-year old twins really take the wind out of a hobby, and prices are never going down, just up)
    #2: Relaunches...
    #3: Crossovers...(burned out on crossovers since "Onslaught")