Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Marvel Legacy Numbering

As a 50 year old dude who is new to comics, got into them 3 years ago, September 2014, can someone explain to me as if I were a two year old, what exactly is the Marvel Legacy Numbering? I apologize if this has been asked already, but I couldn't find anything...

For titles that have had multiple runs, they're combining the runs for one single number.

http://community.comicbookresources....e-Books/page25 this thread explains a lot of it, but admittedly it's like 25 pages long.

You can find most of the re-numbering explained by Marvel here. https://goo.gl/tRK1pW
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Basically, they totalled up what some of the titles would be up to if they'd never been relaunched with a new #1.

Examples:

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    For titles that have had multiple runs, they're combining the runs for one single number.

http://community.comicbookresources....e-Books/page25 this thread explains a lot of it, but admittedly it's like 25 pages long.

You can find most of the re-numbering explained by Marvel here. https://goo.gl/tRK1pW

Okay, I gotcha now, Thanks man. One question, the last All New Guardians of the Galaxy #11, has #11 on cover, but the Marvel Legacy Numbering it is #144. So why not out that on the cover as well? Okay, I'll shut up now. Just trying to make sense of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Invader67 View Post
    One question, the last All New Guardians of the Galaxy #11, has #11 on cover, but the Marvel Legacy Numbering it is #144. So why not out that on the cover as well? Okay, I'll shut up now. Just trying to make sense of this.
    Not all books are relaunching as "Legacy" series at the same time.
    The one I'm curious about is how they figured Captain Marvel. Why use issues with Carol as Ms. Marvel instead of other "Captain Marvel" runs featuring guys like Mar-Vell?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Not all books are relaunching as "Legacy" series at the same time.
    The one I'm curious about is how they figured Captain Marvel. Why use issues with Carol as Ms. Marvel instead of other "Captain Marvel" runs featuring guys like Mar-Vell?
    One thing that confuses me is that Cable/Deadpool counts as Deadpool issues, but not as Cable issues.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

So if I got this right, Ka-Zar being one of my favorites - would be -

Ka-Zar (1970) #1-#3

Ka-Zar (1974) #4-23

Ka-Zar (1997) #24-#43

Ka-Zar (2011) #44-#48

So where would Ka-Zar The Savage (1981) 34 Issues go?

Shanna The She Devil (1972) #1-#5

Shanna The She Devil (2005) #6-#12

Now the couple of Captain America issues I have, are these included in the Legacy Numbering for Captain America?

Captain America - Living Legend (2013) #1-#4

Captain America White (2015) #1-#5

Thanks again everyone.

It's long, but if you're into the numbering thing, it's fun to read and see what other people think numbering should look like. Admittedly numbering isn't an issue for everyone and many jut don't care. That's OK, but for those who do have an interest, I advise diving in.

Quote Originally Posted by Invader67 View Post
    Now the couple of Captain America issues I have, are these included in the Legacy Numbering for Captain America?

Captain America - Living Legend (2013) #1-#4

Captain America White (2015) #1-#5
    No, they're not including special mini-series in most of the combined numbers.

What is bizarre is when they do things like include Tales of Suspense #1-99 when Steve Rogers didn't start showing up until issue #58! (His actual feature began with issue #59.) They also ignore the numbers of his Golden Age series (published by Timely).

No, they're not including special mini-series in most of the combined numbers.

What is bizarre is when they do things like include Tales of Suspense #1-99 when Steve Rogers didn't start showing up until issue #58! (His actual feature began with issue #59.) They also ignore the numbers of his Golden Age series (published by Timely).
    That's interesting that they are not including special mini-series in the numbering. But in a way, that does make sense.

One thing that confuses me is that Cable/Deadpool counts as Deadpool issues, but not as Cable issues.
    That annoyed me when I saw them release these. So stupid. Makes Legacy feel unlegit.

Hulk also got the first set of Tales to Astonish even though he didn't have a strip the first 59 issues. He also didn't get his first six issue series counted.

So, yeah, there is no hard and fast rule that is always followed.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

They just want the issues to be close to landmarks.. so they can milk anniversary issues.

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    They just want the issues to be close to landmarks.. so they can milk anniversary issues.
    It can't be denied that Marvel likes to milk round number issues, but in the case of Legacy, they're renumbering books that aren't close to an anniversary. They've been celebrating issues of Captain Marvel, She Hulk, and Silver Surfer (and probably others) and still maintaining their frequent relaunchings. This is more than just a quest for the anniversary number.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    It can't be denied that Marvel likes to milk round number issues, but in the case of Legacy, they're renumbering books that aren't close to an anniversary. They've been celebrating issues of Captain Marvel, She Hulk, and Silver Surfer (and probably others) and still maintaining their frequent relaunchings. This is more than just a quest for the anniversary number.
    The ones that aren't close probably didn't have enough issues to get close. I mean most of the renumbering are not too far away from an landmark. Combined with these strange ways of renumbering seems to me that they just want to milk it.