Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Action Comics#1003 Spoilers and Discussion

Robinson Goode collects a piece of Kryptonite from someone called Candy down in a seedy part of Metropolis. She returns to the Daily Planet and gets into an argument with Perry. Clark arrives and tells Jimmy he's seen Lois, but before he can discuss what happened he is affected by the Kryptonite. Robinson departs and heads downtown where she is confronted by Batman, who confiscates the kryptonite. Goode attempts to borrow more from Candy, but Candy turns violent. Her club is then infiltrated by the Red Cloud, who suffocates Candy. Superman arrives on the scene and assures Goode all is well, with Goode giving him a hug. Meanwhile, in a hotel room, we find Lois still typing up a big story when she hears a knock at the door, she opens it and finds it's Lex Luthor

Overall, interesting to have 1003 take place after 1004...Clark still looks pretty zoned out even after his big talk with Lois, but at least he's letting the staff know they're in contact with each other again. Not sure how Bruce knew Goode had the kryptonite unless Clark caught sight of it in her bag with his x-ray vision and contacted him about it. Finally, we're left with a bit of a mystery as to what Lex wants with Lois, but at least it was handled in the usual Lex and Lois manner, with Lois really annoyed Lex found her.

Astonishing Member

I assume Bruce was tracking the Kryptonite exchange (if not all Kryptonite related incidences) and found out from Clark that Goode had it in her purse so he could quickly swoop in before she got a chance to use it. At first I thought she suspected Clark was Superman but it turns out she's clueless, thankfully or else things would have turned ugly very quickly. Clark may not know exactly what she's planning but at the very least he's now onto Goode's nefarious intentions despite her innocent act after Candy was choked to death.

L&C did talk but whatever Lois is working on, must be quite serious for her not to return home immediately after reuniting with her boo. Clark is clearly not thrilled but he has to trust that whatever she's up to is very important or else the continuing separation wouldn't make sense.

Btw Jimmy talks way too much, he could accidentally out Clark without even realising it, lol.

Spectacular Member

My goodness this story line is so dumb. Poorly written.
    But, well, I guess I'm the only one here thinking this way.

Quote Originally Posted by AntoKent17 View Post
    My goodness this story line is so dumb. Poorly written.
    But, well, I guess I'm the only one here thinking this way.
    ... I think the same..

I prefer Superman... Unlike in Action Comics, I am interested in the Earth in the Phantom Zone, Zod&Superman alliance and that image with Superwoman Lois..
    Last edited by adrikito; 09-26-2018 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Not sure how Bruce knew Goode had the kryptonite unless Clark caught sight of it in her bag with his x-ray vision and contacted him about it.
    He did, when she reached in to get a headache pill. We see him look into her purse.

I liked the wavy-panels - disorientation etc - but I just can't see Jimmy calling Clark 'Mr Kent' at this stage of their friendship.

Robinson is like a lot of entitled newbies I've come across over the years (I sound so old), especially with her 'I have to say I find this entire process' regarding what stories make headline bit.

I'm surprised Candy was killed, though - Robinson was the one in the 'wrong'. Sure, Candy threatened her but she had been warned of the rules and (as seems to be her habit) seemed to believe they didn't really apply to her. (unless RC is layered beneath RG)

Shame Trish likely won't call her out on not texting her (if she did, we missed it as we ended up jumping to sunset). I think a little text box in the panel where Robinson was walking away from the Daily Planet would have made the timings a lot clearer.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    He did, when she reached in to get a headache pill. We see him look into her purse.
    The price I pay for speed reading

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    The price I pay for speed reading
    Easily done - it's one panel

Besides, one of the pluses of forums like this is where we can help each other out in our reading/understanding of the stories and characters we enjoy (sounds corny but it's true )

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    I assume Bruce was tracking the Kryptonite exchange (if not all Kryptonite related incidences) and found out from Clark that Goode had it in her purse so he could quickly swoop in before she got a chance to use it.
    I agree that Bruce likely tracks Kryptonite trafficking, but I think we're missing a bit of a time jump (or two). The issue opens in the morning but the 'mugging' takes place around sunset (and Candy's death is at night, after RG has changed her clothes).

At first I thought she suspected Clark was Superman but it turns out she's clueless,
    I initially thought that, too, with the way she was looking towards him when she was in the elevator. I think she's up to something else and hopefully Bendis will take us back to this 'missing day' so we can piece it together (ditto with Lois and Clark's conversation).

Clark may not know exactly what she's planning but at the very least he's now onto Goode's nefarious intentions despite her innocent act after Candy was choked to death.
    Clark's a good actor, too

L&C did talk but whatever Lois is working on, must be quite serious for her not to return home immediately after reuniting with her boo. Clark is clearly not thrilled but he has to trust that whatever she's up to is very important or else the continuing separation wouldn't make sense.
    The bit that tugged at me, though, was where he says he doesn't know who he can talk to about these kinds of things.

Btw Jimmy talks way too much, he could accidentally out Clark without even realising it, lol.
    This was one of those times where I wish Jimmy knew.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I am still liking the story, this is our last Bendis can do milking this drama with Lois so I don't mind. Though I guess he'll keep milking what's going on with Jon till December.

As for the actual story, I liked how Batman helped deal with the kryptonite section, trust pals. I am curious just how much of a role Luthor will play here as well since Bendis said he wasn't going to use him a lot.

And there is definitely something going on with Lois and Star Labs. First those hints at the beginning and then on the last page she is wearing star labs pjs?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I simply love this book. I wish Bendis could clone himself so we could get this on a weekly basis, but I will have to be satisfied with the best Superman comics in years twice a month instead of weekly.

Unfortunately, the Supergirl hasn't really blown up my skirt yet, so I will have to make do. A Lois Lane title would be awfully cool right about now....

Hmmm. On the one hand, it was a really good read. On the other hand, the plot didn't really move forward much at all so its hard not to see this as filler. Entertaining filler, I enjoyed the characterizations we got here all around, I just don't want to see the plot slow to a crawl like on Superman.

Goddamn, if only both these titles were still bi-monthly.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Hmmm. On the one hand, it was a really good read. On the other hand, the plot didn't really move forward much at all so its hard not to see this as filler. Entertaining filler, I enjoyed the characterizations we got here all around, I just don't want to see the plot slow to a crawl like on Superman.

Goddamn, if only both these titles were still bi-monthly.
    Unfortunately, this is typically how bendis issues go. His last run of ultimate spider-man dragged like this each issue as well.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

F#%k, that's some good comics, man lol

The build up for issue 1004 is strong. Like, we as people who follow this stuff in interviews, solicits, and what not have been feeling the build up for a while now, and I was honestly worried that however Bendis played issue 1003 it would take for granted the normal fans and first time readers who just go issue by issue. Shows what I know. This issue perfectly builds up issue 1004 with a well placed and subtle time jump depicted by key bits of dialogue placed around the place, and visual clues like Lois' STAR Labs shirt. That's just simply how you freakin write, my friends. It's bits to the mystery, and I love it.

And freakin Yanick Paquette, man! Say whatever you like about Bendis, but please put some respect on how he tailors an issue to his artist. The wavy panels and the claustrophobia of inside them sold the frantic nature of the moment with the K. And just like Clark we follow Goode and her blue top through the room until we see the cause.

This was a great week for Superman in comics, imo.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Decent set-up issue. I’m still curious to find out what Goode’s deal is, what is she aiming to accomplish? Otherwise not much happened, but it did keep me engaged with figuring out the mystery of what Lois is up to, and how is Lex involved. I’m a little disappointed that Bendis has already brought Lex in, I wanted him to take a seat on the bench for a while longer.

Art’s great, but I wish Gleason was on for the whole arc. I hope issue 1004 really ramps up the pacing though, I don’t think Bendis can afford to many more setup/filler issues.

Yeah, I take back my usage of the term filler. Set-up is more appropriate.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El