Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

I believe the ring popped up in the Justice League vs Suicide Squad crossover a while back. Only, a certain aspect of God popped up and basically made the ring's effect null.

Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar

I have four versions I just fucking despise with a fiery passion, in numerical order:

1) Singerverse Superman: Never have I seen such a pathetic rendition of Clark ever, just plain pathetic. letting himself get beaten up by Luthor and his cronies just because of another real-estate scheme.

2) Supergirl Superman: Just plain overrated, and Hoechlin is nowhere near as good as people say he is.

3) Donnerverse Superman (Yes, I consider the Singerverse and Donner Supermen separate iterations): Superdickery at it's finest everyone, and I don't feel I need to say much more.

4) American Alien Superman: This incarnation actually is the asshole people falsely claim New 52 Superman to be, and in my eyes he has no redeeming qualities.
    Pull-List:

DC: Batman: Damned, The Green Lantern. Young Justice. Wonder Twins

Boom!: Ronin Samurai.

Given that Superman III is often cited as one of the worst iterations, I thought this might be interesting to place here. Most of this I didn't know, or didn't think about.

Anybody else?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJUksSVXogE
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Man, that's a long video...I have to look into some of what he says.

Basically, I've always been baffled by the reputation of the film. I loved it, dunno what to say.

Hey ah.. who is Klara?

Superman on Supergirl was pretty bad. Even ignoring the costume it's pretty bad. I'd also go with the old 70's movies. I try not to knock them too much because it's another era. I can barely sit through the first film though. Lois literally seems him everyday but doesn't get he's Superman? That just doesn't work for me. Plus, those movies portray Superman as a little too goody goody for me. He just feels fake. No depth. Horrible endings to the first 2 movie. Minus nostalgia, those films are awful. Superman Returns isn't much better but I give it points for the plane scene & the better effects. Superman just seems like a wimp.

Supergirl Superman wins the prize for worst for me. Just underwhelming.

As far as comics, I've read a few stories from the Silver Age I think. One he was a Tv anchor. Most he was a reporter. Stupidest comics I've read.
    Last edited by Stick Figure; 11-09-2017 at 08:55 AM.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    Superman on Supergirl was pretty bad. Even ignoring the costume it's pretty bad. I'd also go with the old 70's movies. I try not to knock them too much because it's another era. I can barely sit through the first film though. Lois literally seems him everyday but doesn't get he's Superman? That just doesn't work for me. Plus, those movies portray Superman as a little too goody goody for me. He just feels fake. No depth. Horrible endings to the first 2 movie. Minus nostalgia, those films are awful. Superman Returns isn't much better but I give it points for the plane scene & the better effects. Superman just seems like a wimp.

As far as comics, I've read a few stories from the Silver Age I think. One he was a Tv anchor. Most he was a reporter. Stupidest comics I've read.
    Superman as a TV reporter was during the Bronze Age. I don't really remember them from what little I read.

I wasn't fond of the weird mish-mash of Pre and Post-Crisis Superman that began to appear around the early 2000s.

Superfriends Superman was terrible and whenever anyone says that Superman is garbage because he gets done in by a green rock I think back to this cartoon. Good thing I had already read some of the comics and seen the first two movies other wise I would've ended up thinking the same thing.
    http://www.seanbaby.com/superfriends/superman.htm - sums up everything that was comedic and wrong with this version of Superman

SMH @ Superman standing there and letting his father die. I cracked up at that scene and wondered what the hell happened. Man of Steel was okay but that whole scene was just straight foolery.

Has anyone read Superman: At World's End. It was amazing but for all the wrong reasons.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

At World's End was indeed amazing. Never read the full story including Kamandi stuff, but it's probably better stand alone.

Superfriends Superman is hard to call terrible since he was still a lot better than everyone else. Seanbaby was my second home back in middle school.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    SMH @ Superman standing there and letting his father die. I cracked up at that scene and wondered what the hell happened. Man of Steel was okay but that whole scene was just straight foolery.

Has anyone read Superman: At World's End. It was amazing but for all the wrong reasons.
    I don't totally disagree, but I've heard a comment that kind of helps me deal with Jon Kent's death scene in Man of Steel. The analysis basically comes down to the fact that Cavill's like twenty-nine or twenty-eight years old at the time, playing a sixteen or seventeen year old. Now kids that age aren't the most known for their quick-decision making, but the problem is that it's next to impossible to read Clark as that young when he looks, well, like a man in his late twenties. Sure we can read him as a man in his early twenties, maybe, but it just doesn't make enough of a difference. He's still old enough to make his own decisions under pressure, exactly the same as he does earlier on in the film when he catches the burning oil rig. If they'd tossed Dylan Sprayberry into that scene instead, maybe had him cry a little, it'd have been easier to believe that this is a kid freaking out who doesn't know what's up, rather than a grown man who could override his dad.

As for At World's End... man, it was Superman fighting TWIN CLONES of ADOLF HITLER in the FUTURE and they still managed to make it bad! How do you mess that up?!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Superman putting on some glasses and no one recognizes him is something which has been discussed in good detail here. If you wish to read more about it i am posting a link to direct to the thread. I have no problem with accepting that and is one of the things that i absolutely love about Superman.

http://community.comicbookresources....perman+glasses

I have no problems with him being too good. I don't expect every character to be flawed as Batman or Spider-man. Thus i can enjoy varieties of flavors of heroism. The Super in Superman is not just the superpowers. Its like the character makes a man. The almost inhuman goodness and decency makes him Superman. If it feels unnatural let us not forget that he is unnatural. He is from another planet literally and thinks and feels differently from others. That is the point. He looks like us but he is not like us.

Thus its not too difficult to accept the premise that he is good in an inhuman way, in a way not possible for humans. He is not human yet he has the best characteristics from humanity as well as an alien heritage.

Seen in this way i don't find him fake at all. May not be as interesting as flawed heroes as Batman but fascinating in his own unique way. In fact i find him more interesting then any other hero. Which of course depends on one's preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    At World's End was indeed amazing. Never read the full story including Kamandi stuff, but it's probably better stand alone.

Superfriends Superman is hard to call terrible since he was still a lot better than everyone else. Seanbaby was my second home back in middle school.

I made a joke on the Wonder Woman board about the classifications of bad.

chart.jpg

Superman in Super Friends and At World's End fall in the quadrant of Unintentionally Bad, So Bad it's Good.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherman14 View Post
    I have four versions I just fucking despise with a fiery passion, in numerical order:

1) Singerverse Superman: Never have I seen such a pathetic rendition of Clark ever, just plain pathetic. letting himself get beaten up by Luthor and his cronies just because of another real-estate scheme.

2) Supergirl Superman: Just plain overrated, and Hoechlin is nowhere near as good as people say he is.

3) Donnerverse Superman (Yes, I consider the Singerverse and Donner Supermen separate iterations): Superdickery at it's finest everyone, and I don't feel I need to say much more.

4) American Alien Superman: This incarnation actually is the asshole people falsely claim New 52 Superman to be, and in my eyes he has no redeeming qualities.

People liked the TV Supergirl version of Superman because he was the antidote to the bleak, dour, dark, depressed Superman in the Man of Steel and Superman v Batman movies, which lots of people despised.
    Basically if they hated the DCEU Superman and loved the Christopher Reeve Superman, they enjoyed the Tyler Hoechlin Superman because that is the Superman most people think of when they think of Superman.

You know, I never liked Bryan Singer's Superman, and with the recent allegations (that a lot of people knew about but wasn't accepted by mainstream) against Singer and Spacey, reflexively I like that Superman movie even less.

Yeah, I tend to go pretty easy on Superman Returns because I think it was a massive wasted opportunity and Routh was frankly, robbed of his chance to be a truly great Superman by a mediocre script (and I still think he's an amazing Clark Kent even then) but I'm knee jerking against it as well recently.

Still, why did nobody stop and say "Hold on, we're rebooting Superman with a relationship drama that is a sequel to a thirty year old movie that most of the audience hasn't seen? Go back to the drawing board, effective immediately."
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Hey ah.. who is Klara?
    That's section 8. He's clearly talking about the version of Supergirl from the original draft script. So it seems to be a mispronunciation of Kara... or.. he says "Klara-El" at one point.... Maybe this Supergirl was meant to be Superman's SISTER not cousin? Maybe they just spelled her name that way in the script? I dunno. Part of what he says seems to be speculation and it's possible he simply said the name wrong.

But yeah, the idea that the script was originally about Brainiac makes sense due to how Gus Gorman basically BUILDS Brainiac on Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    People liked the TV Supergirl version of Superman because he was the antidote to the bleak, dour, dark, depressed Superman in the Man of Steel and Superman v Batman movies, which lots of people despised.
    Basically if they hated the DCEU Superman and loved the Christopher Reeve Superman, they enjoyed the Tyler Hoechlin Superman because that is the Superman most people think of when they think of Superman.
    While I don't hate the Cavill version of Superman, I think you are essentially correct. In fact, I'll go one better and say he's better than the Chris Reeve Superman because, so far, Supergirl Superman hasn't crushed the hands of any helpless opponents or beaten up anyone for revenge after they beat him up when he didn't have his powers. But definitely I think Chris Reeve is still the standard every subsequent actor has to live up to and in terms of sheer acting, nobody has beaten him yet. But some of his actions in Superman II are the worst of any live action Superman.

I'll just say that the Superman on the Supergirl show is what most people picture as Superman, not the movie version.
    Power with Girl is better.