Page 60 of 72 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470 ... LastLast

[
    i don't think penny was born with her mutation. one because a razor sharp baby would probably have killed her mother either while moving around in her womb or during delivery. but also because of the whole "absorbing negative energy around her" emphasis that scot lobell kept mentioning about her lead me to believe that she looks the way she does due to all the horror shes endured. her mutancy activated to protect her and its been active this whole time protecting her. i don't think scot ever intended for penny to revert to a normal human girl form. i think once her powers kicked in this was IT for her. which is why she bonded so easily with chamber because she saw someone turned into a monster by mutancy just like her. on a side note did penny before the whole m-twin fiasco have her own room or change clothes?
    Last edited by killerbee; 07-14-2017 at 01:42 AM.

IIRC that black stuff she wore was about the only thing that could survive touching her skin...

Gen X and Penny Devotee

Quote Originally Posted by killerbee View Post
    [
    i don't think penny was born with her mutation. one because a razor sharp baby would probably have killed her mother either while moving around in her womb or during delivery. but also because of the whole "absorbing negative energy around her" emphasis that scot lobell kept mentioning about her lead me to believe that she looks the way she does due to all the horror shes endured. her mutancy activated to protect her and its been active this whole time protecting her. i don't think scot ever intended for penny to revert to a normal human girl form. i think once her powers kicked in this was IT for her. which is why she bonded so easily with chamber because she saw someone turned into a monster by mutancy just like her. on a side note did penny before the whole m-twin fiasco have her own room or change clothes?
    It is possible that might have been what he wanted Personally, I would think that maybe she was meant to be able to loose the hardness of her shell if she were to either learn control, or either get away from sources of negativity, or find a positive soures of energy, like kindred spirits, friends, or a lover.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    IIRC that black stuff she wore was about the only thing that could survive touching her skin...
    You are right. THose straps were able to withstand her sharp skin. It is possible that they are a special fabric, and one that they should have looked into for creating a uniform for her.

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by killerbee View Post
    I wonder how much thought Scott Lobdell gave to it before he decided to create Penny... but like you mention, he did say that she fed off of negative emotions around her to become sharper and, in a caring environment such as she had with Gen X, she had begun to soften.

I would theorize that she was soft/normal for much of the pregnancy, but it was the trauma of labor that triggered her mutation & sharpened her and that she did indeed kill her mother during delivery. The real challenge, then, would be for a relative to overcome natural suspicion of such a demon child long enough to raise it.

So yeah, maybe she wasn't born the way she looks now and maybe it's the result of the horrible things she's had to endure. I agree that there's probably no way to revert her back to a full human-like appearance at this point.

Like marhawkman said, initially the black straps of material around her body were the only thing she wore. They were black strappy restraints used by Emplate to keep her imprisoned. I'm not sure if it was made of a special material or it worked mainly due to her being covered in LAYERS of the stuff.

Back when the twins were trapped in Penance, she/they did try wearing a school uniform for a bit, but it tore and shredded a little bit every time she moved. I'm guessing Monet is the one who dressed her up, like a red razor-sharp life-sized doll. XD

She is definitely overdue for a new uniform made of the black strappy material -- she's been wearing those rags for ages at this point. What's a girl got to do around here to get a change of clothes? :P

========

Meanwhile, an artist named Scott Modrzynski spent two years drawing every single character that's ever appeared in Uncanny X-Men... 2535 of 'em.

http://www.cbr.com/x-men-artist-cari...s-every-x-man/

And fortunately, Penance has appeared in the title! It was a cameo panel from when the High Evolutionary was reversing/removing/suppressing the X-Gene in the entire mutant population at once and mutants were even turning back to a more human-like appearance:

I don't think much thought was given to the coloration of Penny, but the different hair color is surely meant to convey that she was turning back into a human... unfortunately, this never got mentioned/explored in the Gen X comics of the time. It might've been around the time of Counter X (when Penny was MIA)? Or shortly after Counter X, when Gen X was doing flashback issues.

I looked it up before, but I forget now. *shrugs* Doesn't really matter, but what a storytelling opportunity missed. (I'll also point out that the fact that she was affected by the High Evolutionary's meddling should prove that she is indeed a mutant and not just some magical prison created by Emplate for his spoiled sister, which to me says it's more than likely that Emplate captured some innocent mutant then used her as a prison for his sister.)

The caricatures were done in the shape of an X for X-Men:

Last edited by Starleafgirl; 07-15-2017 at 07:38 PM.
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

BANNED

The more I see Penance, the more Ithink she is Storm and Wolverine's daughter. Penance has the sharpness and claws from Wolverine and has all white eyes from StOrm.

BANNED

At this point, i already give up that Hollow will appear in the new generation x book.

Gen X and Penny Devotee

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    At this point, i already give up that Hollow will appear in the new generation x book.
    Since it has only been 4 issues, and basically two stories/events, giving up hope now is a bit much. I know I am enjoying it, but that is because I sense the potential, as well as being a fan of Jubilee and Emplate.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RichSkitzCale View Post
    Since it has only been 4 issues, and basically two stories/events, giving up hope now is a bit much. I know I am enjoying it, but that is because I sense the potential, as well as being a fan of Jubilee and Emplate.
    Well, I really hope I'm wrong but considering the first story of the book is M-plate, Hollow should have been there already.

Gen X and Penny Devotee

Well, I really hope I'm wrong but considering the first story of the book is M-plate, Hollow should have been there already.
    You are assuming facts. Let's point out that when we last saw Penance/Hollow, they had been at the Avenger Academy, and then sided with the X-Men during the X-Men vs Avengers story. It could be assumed that they didn't know where she got to. When Emplate went to the school before, they had no idea where she went, but that's how he found out about Bling!.

BANNED

You are assuming facts. Let's point out that when we last saw Penance/Hollow, they had been at the Avenger Academy, and then sided with the X-Men during the X-Men vs Avengers story. It could be assumed that they didn't know where she got to. When Emplate went to the school before, they had no idea where she went, but that's how he found out about Bling!.
    But it's a Gen X book where Hollow first appeared and became part of the team. And the story now involves M who is considered her sister and Emplate who fed Hollow before but was saved by Gateway.

But like i said, i hope im wrong. Ill keep on tweeting the writer about her. It might help.

Gen X and Penny Devotee

But it's a Gen X book where Hollow first appeared and became part of the team. And the story now involves M who is considered her sister and Emplate who fed Hollow before but was saved by Gateway.

But like i said, i hope im wrong. Ill keep on tweeting the writer about her. It might help.
    I tweeted the writer as well this morning. I don't totally expect a response, and may try to find another way to contact her, but I would not be 100% disappointed if the response is no, or even not at the current time. I am enjoying this new incarnation of Generation X. I even read up on how Jubilee had developed between the last time I had fully bought comics. I enjoy seeing Jubilee in both teacher mode, as well as parental mode. I even smiled seeing the look on Monet/Emplate's face when 'they' saw her arrive. It was the 'OH CRAP!' look, the one that gets accompanied by hearing the MPFC troop dressed as Knights of the Round Table shouting "RUN AWAY!". I also enjoyed seeing Quentin get that blow to his pride. I see potential in him, once he gets over his obvious weakness he calls an ego.

Penance would make an excellent teacher, if we can get past her communication and powers being active all the time. I will admit I have given the idea some thought, and would love seeing Penance return with someone like my OC, Richard Cale, by her side. Hell, I've even entertained the notion that she could have stumbled upon a secret that Emplate might not know about. A shadow link to all those Emplate has fed upon, or even once had as thralls. Heck, I've even entertained a relationship forming between Penance and Bling!, based on the common link of being fed upon by Emplate.

BANNED

I tweeted the writer as well this morning. I don't totally expect a response, and may try to find another way to contact her, but I would not be 100% disappointed if the response is no, or even not at the current time. I am enjoying this new incarnation of Generation X. I even read up on how Jubilee had developed between the last time I had fully bought comics. I enjoy seeing Jubilee in both teacher mode, as well as parental mode. I even smiled seeing the look on Monet/Emplate's face when 'they' saw her arrive. It was the 'OH CRAP!' look, the one that gets accompanied by hearing the MPFC troop dressed as Knights of the Round Table shouting "RUN AWAY!". I also enjoyed seeing Quentin get that blow to his pride. I see potential in him, once he gets over his obvious weakness he calls an ego.

Penance would make an excellent teacher, if we can get past her communication and powers being active all the time. I will admit I have given the idea some thought, and would love seeing Penance return with someone like my OC, Richard Cale, by her side. Hell, I've even entertained the notion that she could have stumbled upon a secret that Emplate might not know about. A shadow link to all those Emplate has fed upon, or even once had as thralls. Heck, I've even entertained a relationship forming between Penance and Bling!, based on the common link of being fed upon by Emplate.
    - Provide me a link to your tweet so I can like it favorite it.

- Penance? An excellent Teacher? I want her to remain aloof but just in time to save somebody when somebody needs to be saved.

By the way, here's my twitter to Ms Strain: https://twitter.com/RoucherMunroe/st...48702320873473
    Last edited by RLAAMJR.; 07-23-2017 at 08:50 AM.

Penance a teacher? I didn't think she could talk? I might have missed that though.

Gen X and Penny Devotee

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    Penance a teacher? I didn't think she could talk? I might have missed that though.
    She first spoke aloud in Issue 3 of The Loners. Between appearances, however, characters can develop in many ways.

BANNED

Fellow Hollow/Penance fans, where is Starleafgirl?