Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default What if Mutants Weren't Feared and Hated?

I know this is considered controversial, but bear with me, please.

What if the entire mutant population didn't have to suffer constant persecution on a daily basis?
    What if mutants were accepted by human society rather than faced with fear and hatred?
    What if mutants didn't have to worry about humans building weapons, giant killer robots, cures, or viruses to exterminate their kind?
    How would everything in the Marvel Universe be different?
    Would there be a need for the X-Men?
    Would Magneto need to form the Brotherhood?

Let me hear your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by OptimusPrime114 View Post
    I know this is considered controversial, but bear with me, please.

What if the entire mutant population didn't have to suffer constant persecution on a daily basis?
    What if mutants were accepted by human society rather than faced with fear and hatred?
    What if mutants didn't have to worry about humans building weapons, giant killer robots, cures, or viruses to exterminate their kind?
    How would everything in the Marvel Universe be different?
    Would there be a need for the X-Men?
    Would Magneto need to form the Brotherhood?

Let me hear your thoughts.
    If you want the answer to a world that accepts people with powers and how that would affect superheroism, read My Hero Academia.

What if Marvel mutants were not feared and hated...they would be the metahumans of the DCU?

Then we wouldn’t have Cameron Hodge

Then the X-Men would be just another team, without what makes them special.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    If you want the answer to a world that accepts people with powers and how that would affect superheroism, read My Hero Academia.
    That's exactly what I was thinking.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Then the X-Men would be just another team, without what makes them special.
    Really?

In the Exiles comics, Earth-12 (Mimic’s world) sees the X-Men still as an active superhero team, even in a world where mutants aren’t discriminated.

Quote Originally Posted by Dethi View Post
    That's exactly what I was thinking.
    Right? It's a better superhero comic than most American comics today. Admittedly, that's due to a variety of reasons, but MHA is a really good comic. Unless you don't like Japanese manga.

The world would be completely revolutionized in terms of energy, weather/environment control, medicine, nutrition, education, politics/economics, and entertainment.

That's why we get the hated and feared routine, to preserve a more baseline status quo. If humanity actually embraced mutants, they could shed the outdated establishment and intrinsically change the world.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by OptimusPrime114 View Post
    Really?

In the Exiles comics, Earth-12 (Mimic’s world) sees the X-Men still as an active superhero team, even in a world where mutants aren’t discriminated.
    I mean that there would be nothing special to the X-Men as a franchise. Their prejudice theme is what makes them different from other random superhero teams.

Incredible Member Victorian_Soul's Avatar

Another popular group of heroes with nothing to make then stand out and be special.

I really do recommend My Hero Academia to those who'd like to read a superhero comic where the average hero is officially sanctioned by the government. It's thoughtful, well-paced, with good character development. The world is 80% super-powered with the remaining populace subtly treated as second-class citizens.

The basic premise is: the protagonist has no powers of his own but wants more than anything to become a hero and this drive convinces the greatest hero in the world to take him on as his successor. The author is a huge fan of Marvel, Spider-man in particular, and even made subtle references to the X-Men and Avengers.

Dancing in the Shadows Indigo_Lady's Avatar

Then you would have a fun read like the first Excalibur.

I don't remember many instances of mutants being hated in that book, although admittedly not all the members were mutants to begin with.

It's not just what makes the x-men special, it's effected each of them. Charles & Erik perhaps the most but being hated has shaped them all. Overcoming that adversity made them the characters they are now to a great extent. Think about someone like Erik or Emma or Mystique or Scott. I don't think they'd know what to do with themselves in an era where mutants are embraced. Sure, they all want that day to come but if it ever did, all the mutants who lived before would be relics of bygone era and wouldn't' really fit in anywhere because their soldiers fighting a war that's over.

I actually think this is part of why Scott's gone. With the M-Day\Decimation era over, which was basically a physical personification of being hated and feared, it's sunny days for mutants at the moment and a character like him doesn't fit that narrative so he's gone. You'll note Emma and Erik are also keeping a pretty low profile.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    The world would be completely revolutionized in terms of energy, weather/environment control, medicine, nutrition, education, politics/economics, and entertainment.

That's why we get the hated and feared routine, to preserve a more baseline status quo. If humanity actually embraced mutants, they could shed the outdated establishment and intrinsically change the world.
    And that's definitely one thing. All these hurricanes? If Storm was a beloved figure, the government would be on the phone calling her to defuse (or deflect) them before they made landfall. Killer heat waves and wildfires? Pyro would have actual *job* putting out wildfires, doing the work of a thousand men (and getting paid pretty well, to boot), and Iceman would be there to bring the relief. Rictor and / or Magma could possibly cancel out or mitigate earthquakes (maybe even Avalanche, to a lesser degree). Vanisher would be making tens of thousands of dollars *a day* delivering VIPs across the globe in seconds (with prices driven down thanks to competition from Ilyanna, etc.).

And yet, the 616 universe also has other weather controllers, like Thor, and fire-controllers like the Human Torch, and teleporters, like Singularity and Lockjaw and various sorcerers and whoever makes that ring that Viper wears, and they don't really change the world, so maybe not. Mutants as a resource willingly embraced would certainly make the 'world outside your window' feel that the Marvel Universe strives for even less plausible than it already is.

(Reed Richards has *thousands* of patents, that have apparently made him a billionaire, and yet not a single one of them seems to have changed life even a microscopic jot for the average person. Ditto potentially world-changing tech from Stark or Pym, which never seems to do anything, at all, or than allow a tiny number of people to operate as a super-heroes...)