Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Muslim representation in Marvel Comics

How do we feel about the representation of Muslims in Marvel comics? Are they getting enough credit or are we simply making baby steps? I came across this podcast and was wondering if anyone has an input on the topic:

https://comicsverse.com/episode-88-m...m-superheroes/

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Isn't it pretty much Kamala and Dust?

Monet, too, but she is in pretty bad shape at the moment, being possessed by her brother and all. There are probably a few others, but I don't really know off the top of my head.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    Isn't it pretty much Kamala and Dust?
    Those are probably the most popular ones, but there are others:

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Muslim_Characters

Incredible Member

Monet St. Croix is one of my favorite characters. One of the reasons why writers may not create or use Muslim characters is because it's an ideology with a sensitive handling and many may not understand it.

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Muslim_Characters

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Muslim

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    Monet, too, but she is in pretty bad shape at the moment, being possessed by her brother and all. There are probably a few others, but I don't really know off the top of my head.
    I remember G Willow Wilson saying that Monet's story was mainly about her heritage than her religion. That she isn't that devout.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathGods View Post
    I remember G Willow Wilson saying that Monet's story was mainly about her heritage than her religion. That she isn't that devout.
    I don't think devoutness really matters, as long as she self identifies as Muslim, and she does. I would have to go looking for the specific issue, but it was addressed in a scene in Peter David's X-Factor, where I think it was Strong Guy was surprised she was Muslim (I think it came up because they encountered some anti-muslim protesters) and she kind of schooled him about it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DeathGods View Post
    Which is OK...there's a spectrum of devoutness in any religion, and I think it's a good thing to show the variety of that.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

1) I have no problem with how Marvel presents the Muslim characters that I know about.

2) How much credit should they be given? Marvel has been pretty diverse already.

Too bad they won't bring back Josiah X.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Ultimate Member

Between Kamala, Faisa, Monet, Sooraya, etc. there seem to be a fair number of ladies represented, but Arabian Knight, who is dead, seems to have been the only male Moslem hero.

More dudes might be a route to explore.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Between Kamala, Faisa, Monet, Sooraya, etc. there seem to be a fair number of ladies represented, but Arabian Knight, who is dead, seems to have been the only male Moslem hero
    Isn't there a new Arabian Knight? Or is he dead too? (although I don't know if he's muslim or not)

There was GW Bridge, but he's dead (a really crappy death, too)
    And like Things Fall Apart says, Josiah X, but there seems to be a copyright issue that prevents Marvel from using the whole family.
    There is a Pakistani male super hero in Ms Marvel, but I don't read the comics, so I don't know about his religion.

BANNED

I like the variety btwn Monet, Kamala and Dust.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

I think they've come a long way. The way Dust was introduced was so nonsensical and uninformed on every level; Grant Morrison really had no idea what he was doing (he had her speaking Arabic?) and depicted a lot of things inconsistent with her Afghan background and with most Muslim practice. Dust is handled better now in general, but I think she's still weighed down by the baggage of the orientalism of her early depictions. (A Middle-Eastern character with sand powers? I mean ... it's not too on the nose?)

I almost feel like Kamala is the gold standard for depictions of Muslims in Western media in general. There's a strong tendency in Western media to depict Muslims and South Asians as completely "normal" and "regular", by showing that they do "normal people things" and that they also don't practice religion or embrace their heritage at all (see: The Big Sick, Master of None, several other new media projects about PoC). Kamala is still a regular person, she even has special interests that are ... interesting! But she also loves her family, loves her heritage, and practices her religion. I don't think that all Muslim characters need to be like that, but considering we have almost no characters like her in Western media, I absolutely love it. There's also a variety of Muslims of different perspectives and worldviews in Ms. Marvel. It really shows that the book is written by a member of the American Muslims community who has spent a lot of time among different Muslims.

I don't mind (and I actually like) Monet not being extremely "devout" (whatever that's supposed to mean!), but I do wish that she wasn't so completely sanitized of her Algerian background. She has, like, five names and nearly all of them are French Catholic. It would have been cool if one was Arabic/Amazigh! Religion does inform Algerian culture a lot, but not in nuanced ways that tie into its culture and history. It would be cool to see her grappling with her heritage in that way.

An underrated Muslim character is 616 Monica Chang. It was mentioned and handled in a cool way to contrast her character with the Doombot. It gave her space to, again, be a practicing Muslim and have a full life with duties and goals besides that.

Marvel is surprisingly not terrible at depicting Muslims when you contrast them with the trends on TV and in movies. They still have terrible moments (see: the incredibly racist ending to Nathan Edmondson's Punisher) but balances out to be less than what you might see elsewhere. They can always do better, though!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    I think they've come a long way. The way Dust was introduced was so nonsensical and uninformed on every level; Grant Morrison really had no idea what he was doing (he had her speaking Arabic?) and depicted a lot of things inconsistent with her Afghan background and with most Muslim practice. Dust is handled better now in general, but I think she's still weighed down by the baggage of the orientalism of her early depictions. (A Middle-Eastern character with sand powers? I mean ... it's not too on the nose?)

I almost feel like Kamala is the gold standard for depictions of Muslims in Western media in general. There's a strong tendency in Western media to depict Muslims and South Asians as completely "normal" and "regular", by showing that they do "normal people things" and that they also don't practice religion or embrace their heritage at all (see: The Big Sick, Master of None, several other new media projects about PoC). Kamala is still a regular person, she even has special interests that are ... interesting! But she also loves her family, loves her heritage, and practices her religion. I don't think that all Muslim characters need to be like that, but considering we have almost no characters like her in Western media, I absolutely love it. There's also a variety of Muslims of different perspectives and worldviews in Ms. Marvel. It really shows that the book is written by a member of the American Muslims community who has spent a lot of time among different Muslims.

I don't mind (and I actually like) Monet not being extremely "devout" (whatever that's supposed to mean!), but I do wish that she wasn't so completely sanitized of her Algerian background. She has, like, five names and nearly all of them are French Catholic. It would have been cool if one was Arabic/Amazigh! Religion does inform Algerian culture a lot, but not in nuanced ways that tie into its culture and history. It would be cool to see her grappling with her heritage in that way.

An underrated Muslim character is 616 Monica Chang. It was mentioned and handled in a cool way to contrast her character with the Doombot. It gave her space to, again, be a practicing Muslim and have a full life with duties and goals besides that.

Marvel is surprisingly not terrible at depicting Muslims when you contrast them with the trends on TV and in movies. They still have terrible moments (see: the incredibly racist ending to Nathan Edmondson's Punisher) but balances out to be less than what you might see elsewhere. They can always do better, though!
    Quoted in agreement.

I think Ms Marvel really shines because G.Willow Wilson is a Muslim. Kamala is in a position that many people can identify with especially young people of faith.

When writing about separate cultures and religions, it helps when you get people that are actually knowledgeable about said culture and/or religion.