Default What Timeline Are They Living In? (FALCON #1)

Let me confess up front that I don't buy and read Marvel Comics the way I used to. There are a few I buy every month (Dr. Strange, Ms. Marvel); I buy some others now and then; and I read articles on sites like this one.)

(This is very different from my habits in the 1960's and 1970's, when I simply bought all Marvel Universe comics because, among other things, I was fascinated by the universe they were creating. Why I ultimately lost interest and wandered away is another story.)

So I just bought Falcon #1 because (a) Falcon (an old favorite), and (b) #1. Thought I'd check it out. And of course there are many interesting things to discuss about this issue. What I wanted to ask about here relates to the MU as a whole, though.

Judging from Sam's comments, it would seem to me that, from his point of view (his memories, his experiences, his personal history as he understands it), he has always lived in a timeline where Steve Rogers/Captain America was a secret Hydra agent who fooled everybody into thinking that he was a hero. And then, towards the end of the Hydra storyline, the Cosmic Cube created a different Steve Rogers, that she/it remembered from a different timeline (that long-time readers would think of as the "real" timeline). This Steve Rogers, from his own point of view, was never a Hydra agent and always a good guy, and was truly Sam's friend. (And long-time readers would think of him as the "real" Steve Rogers/Captain America.)

But Sam's memories don't involve this good Steve Rogers, they involve many years of adventures with the bad Stave Rogers, who is currently locked up in a prison. And the Steve Rogers/Captain America running around now - created or brought back or brought in from an alternate dimension by the Cosmic Cube - has his own memories of fighting alongside Sam Wilson, the Falcon (memories that may be real memories of his own, different timeline, or may be fake memories simulated by the Cosmic Cube) - but this Sam Wilson, in his current form (that is, with his current memories), didn't know that Steve Rogers.

That's the way it read to me. But, from those of you who have been reading a wider swatch of MU comics: is that the way the MU is now?

I'm hoping this question makes sense. Thanks in advance!
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    . . . So I just bought Falcon #1 because (a) Falcon (an old favorite), and (b) #1. Thought I'd check it out. And of course there are many interesting things to discuss about this issue. What I wanted to ask about here relates to the MU as a whole, though.

Judging from Sam's comments, it would seem to me that, from his point of view (his memories, his experiences, his personal history as he understands it), he has always lived in a timeline where Steve Rogers/Captain America was a secret Hydra agent who fooled everybody into thinking that he was a hero. And then, towards the end of the Hydra storyline, the Cosmic Cube created a different Steve Rogers, that she/it remembered from a different timeline (that long-time readers would think of as the "real" timeline). This Steve Rogers, from his own point of view, was never a Hydra agent and always a good guy, and was truly Sam's friend. (And long-time readers would think of him as the "real" Steve Rogers/Captain America.)

But Sam's memories don't involve this good Steve Rogers, they involve many years of adventures with the bad Stave Rogers, who is currently locked up in a prison. And the Steve Rogers/Captain America running around now - created or brought back or brought in from an alternate dimension by the Cosmic Cube - has his own memories of fighting alongside Sam Wilson, the Falcon (memories that may be real memories of his own, different timeline, or may be fake memories simulated by the Cosmic Cube) - but this Sam Wilson, in his current form (that is, with his current memories), didn't know that Steve Rogers.

That's the way it read to me. But, from those of you who have been reading a wider swatch of MU comics: is that the way the MU is now?
    Unfortunately, we have a very new writer handling Falcon, and I'm not sure if he explained things badly or if he has a different interpretation of how Sam views things. I bought and read Secret Empire #10 and the Omega issues, as well as the Generations issue with Sam & Steve, and those left me feeling like Sam was . . . less bitter . . . about the whole Captain America thing. While he may have hated what the Hydra-Steve did, it also felt like Sam realized there had previously been the other-Steve who was brought back by the Cosmic Cube. In the first issue of The Falcon, it wasn't clear as to whether Sam was distinguishing between the two different versions of Steve or not (at least, not to me).
    Maybe future issues will clarify all that. (Or not.)