Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Default Marvel's Most Iconic Woman Character Is...

Who? DC has Wonder Woman. Marvel has ...? Storm? Jean Grey? Sue Richards?

For a variety of different reasons, Marvel doesn't really have one, and their attempts to turn Carol Danvers into that figure haven't exactly been successful.

THere's really no strong stand out, like Wonder Woman in DC.

Easiest answer is probably Storm. And I think marvel is trying to build up Captain Marvel to sort of be their iconic female figure.

But descent arguements can be made for Sue Storm, Electra, Black Widow, and Jean Grey. Maybe even Mary Jane if you allow supporting cast to be included.

I think Invisible Woman should win since she was part of the first comic book that really began Marvel's superhero universe.

Other characters with longevity would be Wasp (Janet Van Dyne), Scarlet Witch (Wanda Maximoff), and Jean Grey (Marvel Girl / Phoenix), but their backstories of death(s) and/or mental stability issues sort of reduce their "iconic" potential.

Storm is just as regal, kick ass and popular as WW. And she ain't white.
    When you lose the rhythm of the drumbeat of god, you are lost from the peace and rhythm of life.

The lack of She-Hulk mentions in the thread saddens me. There are many reasons why I think Jenifer Walters should be Marvel's answer to WW, but I will let one of my favorite writers Peter David explain...

“She-Hulk has the potential to be our Wonder Woman. A powerful female with a strong moral center and a determination to do what’s right. She’s also a unique combination of brains and brawn. The ideal She-Hulk story is one that plays on both aspects of her make-up, the intelligence combined with her strength.”
    I do agree that Marvel is trying to make Captain Marvel their WW, with mixed successes. They are giving her more exposure, but its more 'Look at me! I am brilliant!' rather then showing why she is such a great character, like Kelly Sue's book did. Making her the 'villain' of CWII did not help the cause either.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

I would love to see a Stom or Black Widow solo film.

Quote Originally Posted by Valamist View Post
    The lack of She-Hulk mentions in the thread saddens me. There are many reasons why I think Jenifer Walters should be Marvel's answer to WW, but I will let one of my favorite writers Peter David explain...

I do agree that Marvel is trying to make Captain Marvel their WW, with mixed successes. They are giving her more exposure, but its more 'Look at me! I am brilliant!' rather then showing why she is such a great character, like Kelly Sue's book did. Making her the 'villain' of CWII did not help the cause either.
    Marvel screwed up Jen's character. Jen was one of the few characters without all the emotional baggage and angst. She's a head case now. WTF?
    When you lose the rhythm of the drumbeat of god, you are lost from the peace and rhythm of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
    Marvel screwed up Jen's character. Jen was one of the few characters without all the emotional baggage and angst. She's a head case now. WTF?
    I would guess that maybe there are just so many ways that some male writers / editors know how to handle female characters, but isn't the current writer female?
    Maybe it's just that angst/tragedy are more interesting for some people to write about?

Quote Originally Posted by Valamist View Post

Honestly I think her not being one of the top contenders for most iconic female is simply because she hasn't been in any movies yet. Hopefully that will change.

Storm, Jean and Rogue.

I don't think that Marvel has an answer to Wonder Woman (however, DC doesn't have an answer to Spider-Man, so things do even out).

However, Marvel's most iconic female superhero character right now is easily Black Widow. I don't think there's any other serious rivals.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
    To be fair I like a lot of Tamaki has done, but I really do not think it will last. The title has already changed from 'Hulk' to 'She-Hulk' and the last issue was very 'traditional' She-Hulk. I think its only a matter of time before Jen is back to normal, hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Honestly I think her not being one of the top contenders for most iconic female is simply because she hasn't been in any movies yet. Hopefully that will change.
    Hopefully so, even a Netflix series would help! Although is there not some rights issues around Hulk characters?

In the 90's to early 2000's it was easily Storm. Then in the mid 2000's it was Elektra. In modern times (2010's) it's Black Widow thanks to the MCU.

Jury is still out on Captain Marvel, though I'm almost certain she's going to rule 2020+
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Most Iconic is too debatable as most of them have good claims. Right now Marvel is hoping that it will be Carol, but only time will tell if they succeed.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!