Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Mary Jane?

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    However, Marvel's most iconic female superhero character right now is easily Black Widow. I don't think there's any other serious rivals.
    That might be a problem since the character is supposedly still dead at present.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    For a variety of different reasons, Marvel doesn't really have one, and their attempts to turn Carol Danvers into that figure haven't exactly been successful.
    I agree with this comment. All of the top contenders (Jean Grey, Storm, Black Widow, Scarlet Witch, Wasp, Invisible Woman, She-Hulk etc.) cannot boast of a solo title that can even begin to rival Wonder Woman or Harley Quinn. Only recently has Jean gotten a solo book (though it was an AU incarnation) and she's only now returning after a 14-year absence. Storm is just now getting a solo book again and doesn't even talk in X-Men Gold (or if she does it's written terribly). Black Widow is deceased and her solo books never last. I'd argue that the window of opportunity for a film has passed too. She was at her peak around the time Captain America: The Winter Soldier came out. Scarlet Witch is unstable at the best of times, and her MCU incarnation isn't really a member of the A-team just yet. Wasp, unfortunately, has never had a solo, and recent years have seen her overshadowed by other newer introductions to the MU, while Janet seems to be the token founding member, despite being worthy of much more than that. Invisible Woman lacks a solo too and is currently entirely absent from the MU. She-Hulk never gets the push her cousin does and hasn't been on a big team in years.

There's a lot wrong here. Gone are the days of all heroes being boy scout white males. Marvel ought to be pushing their longest standing female members. The very best writers & artists ought to be focused on pushing the female icons alongside the male ones. We've seen success with Ms. Marvel, Hawkeye (Kate Bishop) and even Squirrel Girl and Gwenpool. There's no reason that Wasp couldn't do just as well in the right hands.

Marvel obviously intend Captain Marvel to be that figure, but their attempts at enforcing Carol as their leading female haven't been received as they'd hoped. Civil War II decimated her character, and her solo comic hasn't been the greatest. The film may change that again, but the damage has been done and that may hinder their efforts. That said, by the time Infinity War comes around, the entire MCU will shift, and that may see Carol, Natasha, Wanda or even Mantis as some of the biggest remaining players.

I could go on and on about this topic (I haven't even mentioned merchandising or rosters in Marvel Games) but to cut a long story short, I don't think Marvel has a leading female right now and theres work to be done. I just hope that the Women of Marvel can continue to grow as characters and gain just as much recognition and respect as their male counterparts.

Ultimate Member

I'd give it to Storm. When Marvel wanted someone to go up against Wonder Woman in a 'vs.' crossover, they picked Storm.

In more recent years, they've pushed Carol and Medusa, but I don't know if either of them could even compete with She-Hulk or Scarlet Witch or Jean Grey, let alone Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I'd give it to Storm. When Marvel wanted someone to go up against Wonder Woman in a 'vs.' crossover, they picked Storm.

In more recent years, they've pushed Carol and Medusa, but I don't know if either of them could even compete with She-Hulk or Scarlet Witch or Jean Grey, let alone Storm.
    Problem with Storm is if you take her separately from the X-Men, she's a flop. She doesn't have anywhere near the support that Wolverine did separately.

The argument for Sue Storm makes sense, Marvel is pushing Carol Danvers' Captain Marvel, and Storm has pop culture potential, but unfortunately Marvel has no one that is like Wonder Woman. She can put Batman and Superman in their place without it feeling like it was handed to her, I don't think Marvel has built up any of their women to that level just yet. I mean, Captain Marvel was the lead in Civil War II- as the villain.

It’s Psylocke.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    The argument for Sue Storm makes sense, Marvel is pushing Carol Danvers' Captain Marvel, and Storm has pop culture potential, but unfortunately Marvel has no one that is like Wonder Woman. She can put Batman and Superman in their place without it feeling like it was handed to her, I don't think Marvel has built up any of their women to that level just yet. I mean, Captain Marvel was the lead in Civil War II- as the villain.
    This^^. None of the women of Marvel have that level of brand recognition just yet. Wonder Woman has been a prominent figure since her inception, while the leading women of Marvel have at times been entirely absent. There are plenty of contenders for the title of leading female, but Marvel haven't put in the work to build them up. Captain Marvel & Medusa are the most notable exceptions, though neither of them excelled and are in fact disliked by many. Unless if something changes, and the best women of Marvel get solo titles, feature on various teams, get merchandise and make appearances in games & tv shows, they'll never be able to compete with Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by planetxmen View Post
    It’s Psylocke.
    I wish. She's one of my favorite X-Men, but to an outsider, they'd be much more likely to know who the others are before they'd know Psylocke.

Quote Originally Posted by planetxmen View Post
    It’s Psylocke.
    Squirrel Girl would be more likely (unfortunately).

Amazing Member

I think its a position that has kinda shifted thru different eras but would narrow it down to Storm, Mary Jane, Phoenix, and Sue Storm with Ororo probably being the hero that has the most eras of being on top.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    That might be a problem since the character is supposedly still dead at present.

Not in the movies she ain't, and I think it's a good bet that the movies are more relevant to the Marvel franchise as a whole than the comics are these days.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Squirrel Girl would be more likely (unfortunately).
    Why would that be a bad thing? If it was not for her, I doubt I would have ever started reading Marvel comics!

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybourbon View Post
    I think its a position that has kinda shifted thru different eras but would narrow it down to Storm, Mary Jane, Phoenix, and Sue Storm with Ororo probably being the hero that has the most eras of being on top.
    This would be my pick of Top 4, too.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Quote Originally Posted by Valamist View Post
    Why would that be a bad thing? If it was not for her, I doubt I would have ever started reading Marvel comics!
    Probably because of how "bad" it would look when compared to DC. DC's got Wonder Woman, a character that goes beyond iconic and into a realm of legend in her own right. Marvel would get...Squirrel Girl.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybourbon View Post
    Just a thought, despite not being a superhero, Lois Lane is pretty iconic, too. Maybe more than these aforementioned ladies.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja