Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Sue Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Yep. I don't think there are any male Marvel characters on that level besides probably Spider-Man and even he's a big maybe. It would take decades of pushing a character for them to be that iconic. Also, I believe some are mixing up iconic with popular which are different.

If someone asked me who was Marvel's most popular female character currently, I'd probably say Black Widow because of the movies. But for the most iconic things get more blurred.
    I'm not so sure. Conventional wisdom is that Superman, Batman, and Spider-Man are the top three biggest characters in the gene. So, I think that it's a good bet that Spider-Man is easily more iconic than Wonder Woman.

However, either way, I agree that Wonder Woman is the most iconic female superhero character of all time to date, however that compares with the total list of superhero characters in existence.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    The thread title asks who Marvel's most iconic woman is, which is up for debate. However, the OP mentions Wonder Woman, which I think we can all agree is in a class all her own, there's no contest.
    most people know the bionic woman, princess leia, and ripley.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Last edited by Old Man Ollie 1962; 10-18-2017 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Considering Black Widow (Natasha version) first appeared in comic books in 1964 while Elektra didn't make her first appearance in the pages of Daredevil for more than fifteen years (in 1980) after Natasha first showed up, I think you should reword that "when Black Widow came around" part.
    I meant in outside media! Movies/tv shows/cartoons/videogames have a far bigger impact on iconicness and popularity than comics do. Elektra's star started to fade when Black Widow was introduced into the MCU, hence why I said "when Black Widow came around".
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Storm just hasn't made a big impression as a solo character. Her solo series sold poorly. Her appearances in movies negligible at best. Even Sue Storm had more to do in the Fantastic Four movies for Fox and those weren't as well done as most of the X-Men movies. The X-Men movies more or less turned into a spotlight for Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. Where's Storm's solo movie?

I'd say by the weight of the films, more casual fans know who Black Widow and Scarlet Witch are than Storm. They played fairly large roles in billion dollar box office movies. And there are far more filmgoers that comic book readers these days.

And I'd ditch that mumbo jumbo with Storm as a goddess. It doesn't make her relevant IMO. I really don't like that part about Wonder Woman either and it's why I prefer an every woman like Susan Storm Richards.
    This is all a fan opinion. I'm talking about her creator at Marvel. Storm was created to be the most beautiful and powerful woman in comics. As far as I know, most of the options here were created before that time. Dave clearly didn't think much of this lot. Storm was created to be the quintessential Marvel leading lady. The rest of these women can't hold a candle to her. #Fact And did you are you talking to me about the "every woman?" Lmao, seriously? Storm fits that term quite literally. Black women are the original mothers of every nation to exist. Storm, herself, is descended from the first woman in Marvel's existance. Her maternal line which is the source of her power and physical features were passed down from the first woman. Every woman? Storm is that. And miss me with your stance on her Goddess title. It's hers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    I would love for Storm to receive even half the respect that Wonder Woman gets at DC; she's a pillar for them, she's part of their Trinity, DC has made her the most iconic quintessential heroine. Storm (and Sue and others) are worthy of even a little of that kind of attention and care, but Marvel is playing catch up in that regard.
    It's coming. Her time is here. Coates has been aligning the stars for Storm. The era of the All-Goddess is in full swing.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    most people know the bionic woman, princess leia, and ripley.
    I thought we were keeping this between DC and Marvel? If not, you are correct, but I'd still say Wonder Woman is in a class of her own.

Quote Originally Posted by BBeeryan View Post
    This is all a fan opinion. I'm talking about her creator at Marvel. Storm was created to be the most beautiful and powerful woman in comics. As far as I know, most of the options here were created before that time. Dave clearly didn't think much of this lot. Storm was created to be the quintessential Marvel leading lady. The rest of these women can't hold a candle to her. #Fact And did you are you talking to me about the "every woman?" Lmao, seriously? Storm fits that term quite literally. Black women are the original mothers of every nation to exist. Storm, herself, is descended from the first woman in Marvel's existance. Her maternal line which is the source of her power and physical features were passed down from the first woman. Every woman? Storm is that. And miss me with your stance on her Goddess title. It's hers.
    Storm is not an "every-woman". You wanting her to be the most powerful and a goddess negates that. An "every-man" character is someone like Spider-Man, someone that almost anyone can see themselves in and those characters are usually more grounded and have alot of 'normal' troubles. What you want of Storm negates her form being that kind of character, she was never intended to be that type of character. But that's ok as many characters aren't like that, even Wonder Woman isn't. What you need Storm to be is a ideal for people to strive for like Wonder Woman instead if you want her to be an all-powerful goddess.

And lets just say I disagree with the bold as it's not a fact.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

This is all a fan opinion. I'm talking about her creator at Marvel. Storm was created to be the most beautiful and powerful woman in comics. As far as I know, most of the options here were created before that time. Dave clearly didn't think much of this lot. Storm was created to be the quintessential Marvel leading lady. The rest of these women can't hold a candle to her. #Fact
    Who from Marvel stated this fact, and where / when did they state it?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdSpider View Post
    I'd put Mary Jane before Black Cat. MJ's had a way bigger impact on pop culture than Black Cat. To most non-comic readers Black Cat is seen as a Catwoman ripoff.
    That is debatable if romantic interest of super heroes got to be more interesting that super powered female characters.
    Black Cat can sustain stories that are focused only in her.
    She had limited series about her before.Even in Pop culture i think is not clear that Mary Jane is more important.
    Black Cat apeared a lot in the Spider-Man:Animated Series and featured in video games as well.
    Anyways Mary Jane is a iconic Marvel female character but over all i would say Black Cat is more.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think a lot of 90's kids growing up with Spider-Man: The Animated Series would beg to differ (and calling her a Catwoman ripoff really does speak to a very shallow reading of Felicia's character).
    One of the aspect of Felicia character that make her stand as much more that a Catwoman ripoff is the bad luck powers of Black Cat imo.
    And Felicia had a more consistent characterisation writen since the first stories she apeared that Catwoman.
    Because Catwoman just had one stablished characterisation about her after Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli Batman:Year One if i am not mistaken.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Who from Marvel stated this fact, and where / when did they state it?
    I got you, BBeeryan. It's a quote from Dave Cockrum regarding his intention behind his creation of Storm. BBeeryan and I had a whole thing about it, but Cockrum definitely thinks of Storm as the greatest thing since sliced bread (do people still say that?). Here's the quote: http://seanhowe.tumblr.com/post/1270...e-her-the-most

Spectacular Member

Captain Marvel.......Lol just kidding.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Stan Lee and Jack Kirby created Susan Storm Richards to be the first lady of Marvel. She was there long before Storm. And the term every woman is not a genetic one. Susan is a wife, sister, mother and a key member of a team. She's known the heartbreak of bearing a child and then losing it. She saves the world one day, and maybe does laundry and cooks dinner the next. That's what I meant by an Every Woman....it's a riff on the term Every Man, which if you check the definition is a literary reference. It means an ordinary man who the audience in a play identifies with. Sue is a meta human but she has a family matters to deal with also. She's the mother figure for many of the children of the Future Foundation, like the orphaned Moloid children. She's more human and down to earth. She doesn't consider herself a goddess.

That's nice to think that no one else can hold a candle to Storm. Not a fact. Fan opinion. Everyone has one.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 10-19-2017 at 07:42 AM.