Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manduck37 View Post
    Actually, it's based on Darkseid's Villains Month issue. I think it was one of the Superman villains month issues, with the fancy lenticular covers. They give an origin to Darkseid where he was an alien farmer who took power from the gods by killing them. So yeah, it's a real thing.
    You know I've been curious about Darkseid's origin. I have the first New Gods omnibus but can't get my hands on the second, that's where it's originally told correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    You know I've been curious about Darkseid's origin. I have the first New Gods omnibus but can't get my hands on the second, that's where it's originally told correct?
    I think it's in the second omnibus, but I'm not sure. I don't have a copy either. Hopefully someone here has it and can let us know.

I think it's in the second omnibus, but I'm not sure. I don't have a copy either. Hopefully someone here has it and can let us know.
    Kirby never explains how Darkseid gets his powers or his trademark look. But he does detail his rise to power. Uxas (Darkseid) was the son of Hegra, queen of Apokolips. Uxas had his friend/lackey Desaad poison the queen. With her death Uxas became Darkseid, ruler of Apokolips.
    John Byrne went into more detail of Darkseid’s origin. Uxas had a brother named Drax. Drax was chosen to enter the infinity pit and wield the Omega force. Uxas tricker Drax and seemingly killed him in order to take his place and gain the Omega Force. The infinity pit gave Uxas power but also transformed him into the craggily skinned version of Darkseid that we now know. Drax survived Darkseid’s attempted murder and became The Infinity Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickswordfish View Post
    I think the whole story is Mr. Miracle having a near death experience
    Yeah, it seems pretty obvious to me that he's kinda like the protagonist in the movie "Jacob's Ladder" in that what he thinks is his life is actually his (literally) existential crisis as he could either succumb to death or make it out... and I expect things to get more surreal and dark.

He's still in the process of figuring out the nature of the trap he's in and how he's going to get out of it.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Actually, it's based on Darkseid's Villains Month issue. I think it was one of the Superman villains month issues, with the fancy lenticular covers. They give an origin to Darkseid where he was an alien farmer who took power from the gods by killing them. So yeah, it's a real thing.
    I pray to all the gods that, that issue never shows up again.

Holy crap that "origin" or whatever for Darkseid was one of the saddest things I've read. Just totally jets over the point at hyperspeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    They are platonic creatures, their divine light refracted through the lens of material existence into a spectrum of manifestations, distinct but related.

They are gods, decomposed into various states of matter -- douchey Orion, evil Orion, angry Orion, clever Orion. Depressed Scott, dope Shiloh. Baby Darkseid, omnipotent essence of evil Darkseid, supervillain-Darkseid.

None of them are any realer, or any less real, than you want them to be. Enjoy.
    This really can't be overstated enough. Morrison has made it clear that all New Gods depictions are all equally canon and non-canon. None show the full glory of the Gods, only shadows. Darksdeid can be a simple farmer, the proprietor of the Dark Side Club and the brother to Drax simultaneously.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    This really can't be overstated enough. Morrison has made it clear that all New Gods depictions are all equally canon and non-canon. None show the full glory of the Gods, only shadows. Darksdeid can be a simple farmer, the proprietor of the Dark Side Club and the brother to Drax simultaneously.
    I can get behind this idea.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    And this is exactly why I love Grant Morrison. As a writer myself, this would be how I would depict any kind of god character. In that sense everyone wins. The true form of the New Gods exist in the god sphere. We saw Darkseid's true form as depicted in Final Crisis and Seven Soldiers. And Multiversity completely clarifies how the gods exist in different facets of themselves across the multiverse. To some degree, Neil Gaiman addressed this multifaceted existence with Dream in Sandman: Overture. I think that kind of thinking could be applied to the New Gods as well.

All the more reason I would love to see Death of the Endless pop up in Mister Miracle.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Kirby never explains how Darkseid gets his powers or his trademark look. But he does detail his rise to power. Uxas (Darkseid) was the son of Hegra, queen of Apokolips. Uxas had his friend/lackey Desaad poison the queen. With her death Uxas became Darkseid, ruler of Apokolips.
    John Byrne went into more detail of Darkseid’s origin. Uxas had a brother named Drax. Drax was chosen to enter the infinity pit and wield the Omega force. Uxas tricker Drax and seemingly killed him in order to take his place and gain the Omega Force. The infinity pit gave Uxas power but also transformed him into the craggily skinned version of Darkseid that we now know. Drax survived Darkseid’s attempted murder and became The Infinity Man.
    When did Byrne dive into that?

If I'm not mistaken, it was the 1995-1997 New Golds volume Byrne did.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Embryonic Superman View Post
    Technically we never got an explanation for how Darkseid and the Apokolips crew came back after Final Crisis. Unless I'm mistaken, the continuity reboots of New Earth shouldn't really have any influence on the New Gods.
    I think that is because DC is just sweeping everything about Final Crisis under the rug and ignoring it. Morrison really messed up the whole concept of the New Gods to the point where they were unusable going forward so DC just wanted it gone.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I think that is because DC is just sweeping everything about Final Crisis under the rug and ignoring it. Morrison really messed up the whole concept of the New Gods to the point where they were unusable going forward so DC just wanted it gone.
    If that were the case, why have we been getting so many references to Final Crisis recently, from Snyder's backstory in Metal to Mandrakk returning in The Unexpected?