Default Your Best X-Men Reading Experience

This is a thread where you share your best experiences reading the X-Men.

Mine is Middle School, back when I first started collecting comics. Every time an issue of Amazing X-Men (love it), the Paul Cornell Wolverine run, or Brian Posehn's Deadpool came out, I'd wait until the next day of school to read them on the bus ride home. This was one of the highlights of my day, getting away from school for half an hour and reading comics.
    IMG_1028.jpg

Getting X-Men #116 at the Grey Drug Store near my grandparents house.
    It was late September, just before my 12th birthday.
    I read and reread this issue over and over.
    To this day it is still my favorite issue of the X-Men.
    To Save the Savage Land.
    xmen116.jpg

Reading Millar's Ultimate X-Men for the first time, followed very closely by Remender's Uncanny X-Force. Those 2 runs are works of fiction that I can read over and over and never not enjoy them.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Picking 'God Loves, Man Kills' in the Summer Book Fair, at the big central park of the city. My sister and me sat on the grass, in the shadow of the trees, to read it together. It was thrilling.

Also, finding UXM Annual #10 in a flea market after many months (maybe more than a year) of searching for it. I was jumping up and down. Then I had kind of mixed feelings: I was dying for reading it, though I didn't want to...because it wouldn't last so much!

New JerZ. You KNOW something! Tell me what you know!

My best reading experience was rereading Morrison's X-Men as an adult. As a child, I wasn't as cognizant of the weight he placed behind the metaphor nor was I a fan of the cast. In retrospect, and upon rereading, his book was superior to every Marvel comic put out at that time and still manages to be the best singular series since Claremont worked on his 17y.o. stint.
    Author of X-Forums.

Follow Goddess on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Goddess View Post
    My best reading experience was rereading Morrison's X-Men as an adult. As a child, I wasn't as cognizant of the weight he placed behind the metaphor nor was I a fan of the cast. In retrospect, and upon rereading, his book was superior to every Marvel comic put out at that time and still manages to be the best singular series since Claremont worked on his 17y.o. stint.
    Same. The the fact that he used decapitation as a motif --and decapitated his own run with a time travel story; fact that he was able to make personified homeostasis the ultimate villain... NXM is still the best.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Getting this issue (well, the local edition) just as I was starting to become an X-fan for life. I was on my bike, it was raining and I stopped at a nearby kiosk to get a copy. I didn't want the comicbook to get wet so I just put it in my backpack and blasted away. Except I had forgotten to pay for it. I realized it after a minute and immediately went back to the kiosk.

Pretty good reading too, can't really go wrong with Claremont & Lee!

BF379C16-AC46-452C-8CAB-1F29998E4CF1.jpg

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

One of my favorite reading experiences was when Messiah CompleX came out. I was working my first job outta college, and one of my buddies at the office and I would spend inordinate amounts of time talking about comics via email.

But when that story hit, our excitement hit fever pitch, and the almost weekly release of the next installment only increased the hype. Good times.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Ultimate X-Men was my first proper comic book series and it still holds up as one of the tightest runs I've ever read (no dangling plot threads, plot threads which slowly build in each arc) ...

And I think that the Messiah Trilogy was one of my favourite ever line wide events (in particular Second Coming). I loved how Bastion was being built up in X-Force, slowly and surely ... the writers and editorial all had a plan for the event, and each part felt cohesive and full of danger. The status quo didn't feel like it had a forced element of conflict (e.g the Inhuman mists) and it felt like reading one huge film arc.

Messiah Complex was a great time. It was a great story and led to some great events like Messiah War and Second Coming. I was spending a lot of money on X-Men comics back then with no regrets.