Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default The Red Superman, Kong Kenan (Super-Man of China) appréciation thread

I've searched, and to my stupor, there hasn't been an appreciation thread yet for Kong Kenan, the Super-Man of China ! How come ? There is already quite a lot of fanart, a lot to discuss and many more things to do and talk about Kong Kenan and even his friends from the Justice League of China ! So, go one peoples, share your thought and hopes for him (and them).

Damn.. I never made this topic.. and he deserves this..

BANNED

HA! I was actually just thinking of making an appreciation for the whole JLC earlier to celebrate New Super-Man's continuation.

I have made no secret about my utter love for New Super-Man, Kenan and the other JLC members. They are all simply amazing, and easily among the best DC creations of this century. Kenan's development has been expertly handled and he's reached the status of being one of my favorite heroes PERIOD, to the degree that I will pick up anything he appears in. (His appearance in Supergirl recently wasn't very good, but I think Priest will do him justice in January) I really hope DC can find a way to make these characters more of a commercial success because they really do deserve it.

For now though, I think we're all just looking forward to seeing Kenan take flight. THAT is going to be a glorious moment.

(Also, since Kenan now has his own indivudal thread, I'm probably going to add threads for Baixi, Deilan and Avery to the Bat, Wonder and DC sub-forums respectively, rather than just one for the JLC. Because let's be real: They all deserve it.)

Astonishing Member

It's odd that one bit that I stopped to consider recently was...

Is Kenan going to school anymore? or since that's probably a No, will he?

I mean his life is one of the most complicated things there can be in real life.

His mom is "dead" and running a secret organization, or formerly secret one anyway and "not" his mom as Doctor Omen. His father is possibly known as a criminal now by the Chinese Government and an enemy of the state and Kenan himself outed who he was to the public. I wodner oddly enough if he'll ever decide to go back to school or stop to think about it himself.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    It's odd that one bit that I stopped to consider recently was...

Is Kenan going to school anymore? or since that's probably a No, will he?

I mean his life is one of the most complicated things there can be in real life.

His mom is "dead" and running a secret organization, or formerly secret one anyway and "not" his mom as Doctor Omen. His father is possibly known as a criminal now by the Chinese Government and an enemy of the state and Kenan himself outed who he was to the public. I wodner oddly enough if he'll ever decide to go back to school or stop to think about it himself.
    He's seemingly been living at the Ministry for months so I doubt it. And I don't think he'd be interested in going back to school either. Kenan isn't the kind of guy who cares about general academics, and everything he is interested in learning he can get from his personal teacher and his friends. Plus, he already knows what direction he wants for his life.

I could see him maybe showing up back in his old school just to show off, but aside from a potential future arc that makes him temporarily quit being Super-Man, I don't really see him attending classes.

Although, speaking of Kenan's school, I kinda wonder if we're gonna see Lixin again. Probably in #18.

Kenan is the best! Who is Lixin again Assam? I cant quite remember.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    Kenan is the best! Who is Lixin again Assam? I cant quite remember.
    The guy Kenan bullied because his parents owned the airline he thought his mom died on.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    The guy Kenan bullied because his parents owned the airline he thought his mom died on.
    Aw yeah. Seeing him again in issue 18 is quite likely. It seems like DC wants to push Kenan. He has appeared in Action Comics and Supergirl and will soon appear in Deathstroke. It makes me very happy!

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I wonder if good trade sales for volume 1 is what gave DC the decision to continue the book, happy either way. Also, I love Kenan since issue 1 and am glad he has become a fan favorite.

BANNED

I want a New Super-Man animated series.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    I want a New Super-Man animated series.
    Assuming it was made by people who know what they were doing (I think Luen-Yang would NEED to be involved) I would bloody love a Justice League of China show. It could be brilliant!

Also, some great Kenan fan-art:

beauty.jpg

by Hielorei on Tumblr

buff.jpg

by Luciano Vecchio

gold.jpg

by You've doomed us all jerk on Tumblr
    Last edited by Assam; 10-21-2017 at 06:50 AM.

Im surprised Superlad didn't make this thread a year ago......
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Should they start marketing Kong Kenan as "Red Super-Man of China" just to more clearly distinguish him from Clark?

I don't mean just in-universe, I also mean IRL as in say a new DC animated movie featuring Kong Kenan should be titled "Red Super-Man of China" instead of just "New Super-Man".

It may just be semantics, but it could also clarify things for distributors.

Red Super-Man, or maybe Super-Man Red, does have a nice ring to it, and there's a certain history with the name, but would it fly? I mean, granted, the Cold War and Red Scare were a long time ago, but would the average person hear the name and assume it's some sort of Red Son/pro-Communist take on Superman? As fun as it would be to watch trump rant and rave about the Left turning a great American hero into a communist puppet....eh, that's noise I just dont have the spirit to hear.

It'd be a stupid over-reaction to the name but this seems to be an age for stupid over-reactions......
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Im surprised Superlad didn't make this thread a year ago......
    Honestly, I figured no one on this forum would look at it lol. I've basically reserved myself to quietly enjoying the hell out of the book on my own.

And, I'd god for "Red Super-Man." Yang isn't shy about playing with the politics of Kenan's home, so it'd probably fit pretty nicely.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.