Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Default Visceral's Stars Wars Game on Indefinite Hold

https://www.ea.com/news/an-update-on...r-wars-project

EA closed down Visceral, the studio working on the game and appointed their Vancouver studio to take over the project. Disney giving them the license was a mistake.
    Last edited by Immortal Weapon; 10-17-2017 at 11:33 PM.

Yeah, apart from Battlefront, LEGO and some mobile games, the amount of Star Wars games being produced has kind of slowed to a crawl (Seems to be similar with Marvel). While there were a lot of stinkers, a great deal of Star Wars games were pretty good for games based on films.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Yeah, apart from Battlefront, LEGO and some mobile games, the amount of Star Wars games being produced has kind of slowed to a crawl (Seems to be similar with Marvel). While there were a lot of stinkers, a great deal of Star Wars games were pretty good for games based on films.
    It only slowed to a crawl because Disney chose to close down Lucas Arts. They should have kept it open to have an experience publisher and developer serve as their entry point into video games. I'm still mad over it since we lost Star Wars 1313.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    It only slowed to a crawl because Disney chose to close down Lucas Arts. They should have kept it open to have an experience publisher and developer serve as their entry point into video games. I'm still mad over it since we lost Star Wars 1313.
    I hate that Disney gave the license to EA(their statement on this situation makes it sound like they are retooling the game to be something more like Destiny, IE money grabbing micro transaction filled crap), but Lucas Arts was really spinning it's wheels in the 360/PS3 era. Really the only two major games from them post Battlefront 2 were the Force Unleashed games, which were pretty middle of the road. Everything else was either Wii/handheld shovelware or Lego games. The Star Wars license isn't in a good place for video games but it really hasn't been for a decent while now.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    I hate that Disney gave the license to EA
    That's pretty much the evilest alliance since the pact of steel.

iMan 42s

I hold no ill will towards The Force Unleashed as its pretty good for its time, though the sequel a little more so as it had great concepts but isn't as explored as it should've been due to time constraints. I will say this, it's absolutely sad that TFU is the last major thing to come out of Star Wars Games prior to EA.

Elaborating on that, people are STILL talking about not only The Force Unleashed (and Disney is still licensing products based on it in costumes and toys), but KOTOR, Battlefront 2 (to the point EA foolishly tried a remake), Republic Commando, are all still talked about and even played to this day. As much as I would love an interactive Star Wars universe it requires more care than "that's what people are into today" as Star wars is so vast its hard to do that justice just off hand. Nothing is wrong with a linear experience. Games are allowed to be stories. Sell something great once and the rest falls into place, we have franchises that have proved this.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Games are allowed to be stories. Sell something great once and the rest falls into place, we have franchises that have proved this.
    EA isn't interested in that. Lately many games becoming successful by using a service model where someone will continuous play a single game and drop a bunch of money on DLC and microtransactions. This video breaks it down

I was looking forward to this since we haven't had a good singleplayer Star Wars game in a while. TFU was damn near 10 years ago. We've had a string of decent-for-what-they-are mobile games and nothing else.

An increase of EA meddling and a lack of Amy Hennig game give me little hope of it being good.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    It only slowed to a crawl because Disney chose to close down Lucas Arts.
    In all fairness, LucasArts was screwing itself over long before Disney or EA came into the picture.

The fact that we'll probably never get a Jedi Knight IV annoys me. At least TOR could kinda scratch the KOTOR 3 itch, but there's nothing out there like Jedi Knight. How these devs can have a property like Star Wars and do so little with it legitimately confuses me.
    Last edited by Xero Kaiser; 10-18-2017 at 01:13 PM.

I hate what's happening to video games.

Well, to be more specific, I hate that its happening at the complete expense of y'know, just normal freaking games sometimes.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    At least TOR could kinda scratch the KOTOR 3 itch...
    Nope, not even a tiny little bit.

iMan 42s

TOR had a few things like Malgus which had potential, beyond its aesthetic (which shared a lot more with the prequels) it could've been its own era without the Old Republic branding. That being said with Revan actually showing up and poorly at that it just didn't work.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Nope, not even a tiny little bit.
    It was a Star Wars RPG that at least finished the KOTOR story. Was it as good as KOTOR 3 would've been? Probably not...although it did have it's moments. But it's a hell of a lot more than what we've got for the JK series since 2003 (which is absolutely nothing).

BANNED

I'd rather have nothing than an MMORPG with boring as frell gameplay that botched the story. Or any other MMORPG for that matter.

Leaves us with zero chance of ever having a proper sequel.

I'd say that the fact that TOR has been running for 6 years and making EA money means that you've got a much better chance of seeing another KOTOR-style game than pretty much any of the other old Star Wars games that a lot of people want to see.

You'd really rather have nothing just to spite a particular genre? I wouldn't.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Over the past week I’ve talked to nearly a dozen former Visceral employees who worked on Ragtag, all of whom spoke anonymously because they did not want to risk damaging their careers. I’ve also spoken to several other developers who are tangentially connected to Visceral. They all share similar stories. Ragtag was a project sunk by many factors, including a lack of resources, a vision that was too ambitious for its budget, a difficult game engine, a director who clashed with staff, a studio located in one of the most expensive cities in the world, a reputation for toxicity, multiple conflicts between Visceral and EA, and what can only be described as the curse of Star Wars.
    https://kotaku.com/the-collapse-of-v...ame-1819916152

Kotaku's Jason Schreier recently interviewed ex-Visceral employees about the game's development and here's an article that collects his findings.