Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Bullseye being a mini is the sole reason I decided to take a chance on it. Glad I did as I loved the heck out of it. Same deal with I: OaFK. Although, Priest is the main reason I gave it a go.

I know not soliciting series as mini's can gain higher orders from retailers. But it can have the opposite effect. For me, I have a list of ongoing series that I am committed to purchasing long-term. I am more reluctant to take a chance on new series if I perceive them as potential ongoings. My budget only goes so far. However, if i know it is a mini from the get go, i go the extra mile as I know it has a set end point and won't bust my budget.

DC is putting out a string of mini's featuring second and third tier characters. I've been more inclined to give them a shot knowing they are mini's. It also helps that they are mostly the Horror/Supernatural characters such as Ragman, Demon and Deadman (the latter has glow in the dark covers.)
    Yeah, I also limit my ongoing pulls. It's easier to commit to limited series than ongoings because I can figure if I'm able to stretch the budget and by how much.

That said, now that Marvel has reinstated their digital copy program linewide, I'm buying Marvel minis and trade-waiting the DC minis (I get an effective 25% discount preordering from my LCS vs comiXology digital). I prefer to binge read and I can just redeem the digital codes for Marvel as I receive the books to be read all at once when the final issue/end of story arc is released. Harder to do with DC since without digital copies, I'd need to dig through comic boxes.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    Bullseye was originally solicited as a mini. Elektra and Kingpin were not. Neither were Gamora, Star Lord, Rocket and I am Groot, iirc. I think same for BP: WoW and BP & The Crew.
    Those weren't minis. You can tell because they ran for six issues, not five
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Yes none were mini but minis can run for more then 5.
    X-Men Forever

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    Yes none were mini but minis can run for more then 5.
    I'm pretty sure that was meant to be a joke.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Iirc, Gamora and Elektra only ran for 5 issues.
    Currently Following:

I'm pretty sure that was meant to be a joke.
    Thanks

Iirc, Gamora and Elektra only ran for 5 issues.
    Coulda sworn Elektra got six. Honestly, they should have tried to spin it (and especially Kingpin) as a mini.

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Coulda sworn Elektra got six. Honestly, they should have tried to spin it (and especially Kingpin) as a mini.
    Honestly, I reckon low sales and retailer frustration over the the stealth cancelled books is why Marvel is being more "honest" now in their solicitations. If that hadn't happened, I expect Spirits of Vengeance, Tales of Suspense, Rogue & Gambit, etc. would've been solicited as ongoing. They're doing much better now with the solicits. I greatly appreciate that Story Arc, Part X is specifically mentioned in the solicits for ongoing titles.

Imho, Marvel probably needs to increase their print runs/overprint, too. Retailers are still skittish and are ordering conservatively necessitating 2nd prints for a number of Marvel books. Not only does multiple printings introduce a delay, I expect that also results in lower economies of scale and the cost per copy of the 2nd print run is probably quite a bit higher than simply doing a bigger 1st printing.
    Currently Following:

On the other hand, I think the idea of something being a "stealth" mini are unfair. Ask the writers of those books. They wanted it to keep going and had plans for it. It just didn't do well.

On the other hand, I think the idea of something being a "stealth" mini are unfair. Ask the writers of those books. They wanted it to keep going and had plans for it. It just didn't do well.
    Well hopefully they are being more honest with the writers too. I imagine it is easy for a newer writer to believe the hype that a book might last longer, and my worry is instead of focusing on a tight 5-6 issue story they will start writing for a longer tale and end up sacrificing space and plot lines.

The better books do keep things tight and focused on the first arc, even if they do become longer.

Look at Thor God of Thunder. That could probably have been a mini but got stretched to a maxi stretched again to the point where it became the start of a classic run.

What makes you think they were dishonest with the creative team? They probably said "if this sells well, it'll continue, if doesn't, it'll be cancelled."

What makes you think they were dishonest with the creative team? They probably said "if this sells well, it'll continue, if doesn't, it'll be cancelled."
    It isn't that I think it is dishonest as such, but it could potentially give a wrong impression to a less worldly writer. They may just hear that this could be an ongoing and start out as if it will be one. I have read dozens of books that seemed to do this. Tell a long-form story that gets cut short.

I agree: SCARLET SPIDER is a fun book that everyone should give a try over the next couple months.

-Pav, who is totally not talking to himself...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Mutant Bat on Speed Force Fuzzy Barbarian's Avatar

Super late to this. Anyway...

Definitely:
    PHOENIX RESURRECTION #2 (OF 5) - That foldout... ugh.
    PHOENIX RESURRECTION #3 (OF 5) - Now THAT is a variant! I've already seen this variant, but I just like looking at it. So pwetty!
    PHOENIX RESURRECTION #4 (OF 5)
    PHOENIX RESURRECTION #5 (OF 5)
    ASTONISHING X-MEN #7 - Been a good run so far, except whenever Soule tries to be meta.
    OLD MAN HAWKEYE #1 (of 12) - Hmm... Hopefully Sacks writes something compelling, since everyone knows how this story ends. At the very least, it'll LOOK pretty. Also, maybe this is testing the waters for a new Clint solo ongoing? Also, JAMIE MADROX! Oh, how I've missed you! ...he's probs a villain, isn't he?
    CAPTAIN AMERICA #697 - Kraven? But... why? Please be good!
    MARVEL TWO IN-ONE #2 - Wow, Jim Cheung is on this? Guess it really MUST be setting up something big.
    TALES OF SUSPENSE #101 (of 5) - Wait... this is a limited series again? It was announced as one, but didn't December's solicitations NOT say it was a limited series? Um... Also, the "of 5" doesn't mean much with the legacy numbering, guys. Anyway, still got high hopes for this. Rosenberg's a good writer and I can see him writing a good Bucky and maybe Clint.
    SPIRITS OF VENGEANCE #4 (of 5) - First issue was ALL setup and not much else, so hope it picks up.
    RUNAWAYS #5 - This series is getting an arc, but man... it is WALLOWING in the Runaways comfort zone. And the time skip... and bringing back Gert... and the dumb moment with Victor... please get better! And please actually do something exciting with these characters!

PUNISHER MAX BY GARTH ENNIS OMNIBUS VOL. 1 HC - Sweet, was just about to drop some money on the new thick trades.
    WOLVERINE: OLD MAN LOGAN VOL. 6 — DAYS OF ANGER TPB - Please be good! Dropped off after Lemire left because his run just meandered and had OML learn the same lesson over and over and over again. Although... not sure how this would line up with OML's OTHER appearance's. Like, if they make a point about him not being able to go back, that's gonna really fall flat given he's in so many other series (and THREE friggin' teams).
    NEW MUTANTS: BACK TO SCHOOL — THE COMPLETE COLLECTION TPB - Because this series ended up launching Academy X, AKA my X-Men and comics gateway drug, which hasn't ever been collected properly.
    AVENGERS ACADEMY: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION VOL. 1 TPB - Always wanted to read this series (Even knowing how Dennis Hopeless fucks it over), so why not?

Maybe:
    AVENGERS #675 - Kinda curious about Voyager. I mean, at the very least, I like her design. Also, this kind of team-up between all these Avengers (though I didn't even KNOW Occupy Avengers was a team, I thought it was just Clint's ongoing) is a good way to end this era before Jason Aaron's run.
    AVENGERS #676
    AVENGERS #677 - Um... what? Quicksilver issue? I guess this is gonna be one of THOSE weekly series. Oh boy...
    AVENGERS #678 - Calling it: they're talking about one of THE FIRST Avengers.
    ROGUE & GAMBIT #1 (of 5) - Not a Thompson fan and I'm mixed on Rogue and Gambit as a couple.
    INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #596 - For Doom. Also, we're acknowledging that Firestar was on the Avengers?! Man... I guess the New Warriors ARE getting a TV show... or movie? Or... something?
    AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: RENEW YOUR VOWS #15 - If the first issue of Houser's run is good.
    DEFENDERS #9 - The first arc... has it ended yet? It hasn't really grabbed me, so depending on how it ends, might drop it.
    SECRET WARRIORS #12 - Still maybe, just for Magik.
    CABLE #153 - WTF IS BLINK WEARING?! Seriously... the ****?! And Malin's art DOES NOT do that outfit any favours... jeez. Like... I... I can't. I was willing to ignore Malin's art, but that design... ugh. Please tell me that cover's just being weird and that's actually 616 Blink or something. Because... gross. Wt actual f.

MARVEL’S BLACK PANTHER: THE ART OF THE MOVIE HC SLIPCASE - Based on the trailers, BP is DEFINITELY a movie where I'm super interested in the design and concept art behind it. So... maybe. Never bought one of these before, and not even sure where would stock it tbh.
    UNCANNY AVENGERS: UNITY VOL. 5 – CANNONBALL RUN TPB - Unlike Duggan's run, I really know nothing about this.
    SECRET WARRIORS VOL. 2: IF TROUBLE MUST COME TPB - Hoping I can just read this without reading the first volume. Also, I like Rosenberg's stuff that I've read, and I sorta like this cast... well, Magik, Kamala, maybe Karnak and maybe Daisy if she hasn't been changed TOO MUCH (beyond her being an Inhuman and part Asian) to tie into AoS.
    ALL-NEW WOLVERINE VOL. 5: ORPHANS OF X TPB - This series hasn't been doing much for me. It's not BAD and definitely better than average, but... eh? And seriously, Tom King needs to be put on Deadpool or something so he can let his funny side out more.
    WEAPON X VOL. 2: THE HUNT FOR WEAPON H TPB - I've REALLY been putting off Weapons of Mutant Destruction (or whatever it's called), so... Idno. Starting with a crossover is NOT inviting, Marvel!
    ASTONISHING X-MEN VOL. 1: LIFE OF X TPB - Depending on how it ends.
    NEW MUTANTS EPIC COLLECTION: CURSE OF THE VALKYRIES TPB - Know nothing about this story (though if it DOESN'T tie-in to Danni being a Valkyrie later... weird) and haven't gotten through my Classic trades yet.
    BLACK PANTHER BY REGINALD HUDLIN: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION VOL. 3 TPB - Still not sure and will have to judge based on previous volume. Also, ugh, his Captain America thing... yay, can't wait to see T'Chaka beat up Steve because Hudlin is a douchebag. But at least Jason Aaron's Secret Invasion tie-in was supposed to be good (and probs IS, based on the half issue-whole issue I've read).

OLD MAN HAWKEYE BY CHECCHETTO POSTER - Hey, it's a Checchetto poster and has Jamie Madrox on it.
    Favourite characters: Wally West, Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Cyclops, Jay Garrick, Jamie Madrox, Stargirl, Bucky Barnes, Magik, Jon Kent, Kate Bishop, Booster Gold

Regular pulls:
    Adventureman, Cable, Fire Power, Green Lantern, Hellions, New Mutants, Thor, Vampire: The Masquerade, Venom, X-Factor, X-Men

Trade-waiting: Animosity, Black Panther, Captain America, Catwoman, Conan, Daredevil, DCeased, Detective Comics, Hawkman, Immortal Hulk, Redneck, Saga, Skyward, Snotgirl, X-Force

Mutant Bat on Speed Force Fuzzy Barbarian's Avatar

Random thoughts:

Can't believe they wasted Jae Lee on a TV variant, even if it's still pretty gorgeous.

God, Spider-Gwen on the Champions? Ugh... so glad I dropped this. Also, is THIS where the new Falcon ended up?! Also also, who's the girl in the red helmet and scarf?

So... Lady Electro... is she that prostitute (or was she an ex or something?) Electro hooked up with? Wasn't that set up, like, years ago? Did someone actually DO something with that? Because I'd be interested in reading about her.

That Thanos cover is SO Donny Cates-y.

I have no clue who Leah Williams is, but can she be the new X-Men Gold writer? Because... I just can't read Guggie's mediocre-at-best writing. But I like this team!

Just... can X-Men Blue just END?! Line it up with the ending of Jean Grey when the real Jean comes back and boom! Send 'em home! And bring back Cyclops!

Seriously, can we give Laura her fucking sleeves back?

Loooool! Guessing Daken lives through Orphans of X! Thanks, Iceman #9 xD

There's a Star Wars character called DJ? Ugh...

That Poe Dameron cover is giving me mad old video game vibes. Haven't even played the old X-Wing and TIE Fighter games, just know of 'em.
    Marvel Legacy hardcover... um... yeah... no?
    Favourite characters: Wally West, Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Cyclops, Jay Garrick, Jamie Madrox, Stargirl, Bucky Barnes, Magik, Jon Kent, Kate Bishop, Booster Gold

Regular pulls:
    Adventureman, Cable, Fire Power, Green Lantern, Hellions, New Mutants, Thor, Vampire: The Masquerade, Venom, X-Factor, X-Men

Trade-waiting: Animosity, Black Panther, Captain America, Catwoman, Conan, Daredevil, DCeased, Detective Comics, Hawkman, Immortal Hulk, Redneck, Saga, Skyward, Snotgirl, X-Force

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Barbarian View Post
    Random thoughts:

Can't believe they wasted Jae Lee on a TV variant, even if it's still pretty gorgeous.

God, Spider-Gwen on the Champions? Ugh... so glad I dropped this. Also, is THIS where the new Falcon ended up?! Also also, who's the girl in the red helmet and scarf?

So... Lady Electro... is she that prostitute (or was she an ex or something?) Electro hooked up with? Wasn't that set up, like, years ago? Did someone actually DO something with that? Because I'd be interested in reading about her.

That Thanos cover is SO Donny Cates-y.

I have no clue who Leah Williams is, but can she be the new X-Men Gold writer? Because... I just can't read Guggie's mediocre-at-best writing. But I like this team!

Just... can X-Men Blue just END?! Line it up with the ending of Jean Grey when the real Jean comes back and boom! Send 'em home! And bring back Cyclops!

Seriously, can we give Laura her fucking sleeves back?

Loooool! Guessing Daken lives through Orphans of X! Thanks, Iceman #9 xD

There's a Star Wars character called DJ? Ugh...

That Poe Dameron cover is giving me mad old video game vibes. Haven't even played the old X-Wing and TIE Fighter games, just know of 'em.
    Marvel Legacy hardcover... um... yeah... no?
    Lady Electro was some supervillain groupie that Max accidentally electrocuted; when his powers were amped up. She was well known around the Bar With No Name. She was resurrected by Jackal. I can't remember the issue number but it's slott's run, clone saga, and she's prominently displayed on the cover.