View Poll Results: Should Sue become a doctor?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

37 42.05%
  • No, but another career would be good

17 19.32%
  • No, she's fine as is

34 38.64%
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    It doesn't really suit her history to make her a doctor. I'd rather see a focus on her doing humanitarian work. She could be out there advocating for the poor, the oppressed, etc. Leading a new A Force also works.
    Her doing this on a global scale, maybe as an international figure head would interest me

How about as leader of the Un?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    The sad truth is that it's not some hang-up, look at the facts. She is the only member anchored to the FF, has no life outside of the team, and rarely appears in any comics other than FF books.
    I have said several time in this thread that the bolded is not how I think its should be done. Also, Sue and the FF have not been around for 70 years.
    Her choosing a medical career path would make just as much sense as the other ones. The sad fact is that isn't known for anything outside of being Reed's wife.
    i did not read any comic in which she wanted to be a doctor.i also don't see her following her father footsteps.

Quote Originally Posted by fantastic View Post
    i did not read any comic in which she wanted to be a doctor.i also don't see her following her father footsteps.
    She named her first child after him, it's not that difficult to believe she'd want to be a doctor to follow in his footsteps. I did not read any comic where she wanted to be a spy until it happened and yet here we are.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I would be fine with just about any new interest for Sue. Considering the level of fame of the Fantastic Four, I think one of the things that stood out on DragonsChi's list is diplomacy and IMO that's a very realistic option. It would be a nice tribute to her father if she were an MD but face it, you can't show her becoming an MD overnight considering the years involved in getting the education, an internship, etc. There's 4 year undergraduate degree, 4 years in medical school and then you have to do a residency of several years. During that period you frequently run long shifts, which would take her away from the team. I just can't see that happening. Fraction suddenly revealed that she has a doctorate but we've yet to find out in what field. I think that her experience in the FF and SHIELD should point her to the area of diplomancy. She could be a special envoy to the UN since those are appointments. Actors have worked in diplomacy in the RW; child actress Shirley Temple and actor John Gavin ("Psycho") was ambassador to Mexico. It would be another way she could interact with Doom and Namor, both of whom I'm sure will be back in power at some point considering recent events.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I would be fine with just about any new interest for Sue. Considering the level of fame of the Fantastic Four, I think one of the things that stood out on DragonsChi's list is diplomacy and IMO that's a very realistic option. It would be a nice tribute to her father if she were an MD but face it, you can't show her becoming an MD overnight considering the years involved in getting the education, an internship, etc. There's 4 year undergraduate degree, 4 years in medical school and then you have to do a residency of several years. During that period you frequently run long shifts, which would take her away from the team. I just can't see that happening. Fraction suddenly revealed that she has a doctorate but we've yet to find out in what field. I think that her experience in the FF and SHIELD should point her to the area of diplomancy. She could be a special envoy to the UN since those are appointments. Actors have worked in diplomacy in the RW; child actress Shirley Temple and actor John Gavin ("Psycho") was ambassador to Mexico. It would be another way she could interact with Doom and Namor, both of whom I'm sure will be back in power at some point considering recent events.
    I'm open to other choices, doctor is just my first choice.

With the diplomat path, I think it should be with the goal of Earth wanting to be more involved in the intergalactic stage. Sue would be one of the prime choices with her years on the FF and Marvel earth is still very separated from intergalactic politics. They know aliens exist and even have some alien allies, but not on the level it should be. She could be the bridge between all these alien cultures and earth, helping to get earth involved. Treaties, sharing of resources, helping colonization efforts on viable planets, maybe even some immigration of aliens coming to earth and vice versa. She can also help with earth politics like with Wakanda, Atlantis, Latveria etc. That career path can even be set up rather quickly with no issue. It also achieves the goal of getting Sue more active in the MU.

When I think about it there is definitely a lot that can be done with the concept. I really like it. Has anything similar been done before in Marvel in terms of Earth becoming more active in intergalactic politics and heroes as ambassador's of earth? If not it can be a great niche for her.
    Last edited by Crimz; 06-01-2018 at 07:06 AM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

This!

All of it! Her taking more of a Diplomatic/Politcal role in the MU could be a field all her own. Plus with her Invisible shields in that element could really add to the flare of it.

Sidenote: She probably has a doctorate in Dramatic Arts, since that is the only “career” that we know she was interested in before joining the FF.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 06-01-2018 at 07:18 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

I'm open to other choices, doctor is just my first choice.

With the diplomat path, I think it should be with the goal of Earth wanting to be more involved in the intergalactic stage. Sue would be one of the prime choices with her years on the FF and Marvel earth is still very separated from intergalactic politics. They know aliens exist and even have some alien allies, but not on the level it should be. She could be the bridge between all these alien cultures and earth, helping to get earth involved. Treaties, sharing of resources, helping colonization efforts on viable planets, maybe even some immigration of aliens coming to earth and vice versa. She can also help with earth politics like with Wakanda, Atlantis, Latveria etc. That career path can even be set up rather quickly with no issue. It also achieves the goal of getting Sue more active in the MU.

When I think about it there is definitely a lot that can be done with the concept. I really like it. Has anything similar been done before in Marvel in terms of Earth becoming more active in intergalactic politics and heroes as ambassador's of earth? If not it can be a great niche for her.

I can't think of anything just now but that is another niche she can be involved with. Maybe she could help establish formal relations with the Kree, the Shi'ar or the Skrulls. Have we had any updates on the Skrulls since their Queen was killed after their Secret Invasion plot failed? We know that all Skrulls aren't bad, at least Lyja wasn't. Susan's reputation would be an invaluable asset in this field IMO. Maybe she could have helped with the situation between Wakanda and Atlantis and brought them to the negotiating table instead of the destructive cycle of attacks.

I kind of like the diplomat idea. Maybe she could work for the State Department, but in a specially appointed role that would give her slightly more autonomy and leave her somewhat let subject to political maneuvering.

She could have an official role as an envoy to nations run by powered individuals. She already is familiar with T'challa, Namor, and Doom. Perhaps next time there is a Genosha or Utopia, or some other place like Madripoor or AIM island Sue and her team could go in first to try to handle an incident before it become a international powered conflict.

And as I think more about it, it doesn't even need to be tied to Earth maters. She's a multidimensional/intergalactic explorer. She could be a diplomat for Earth in general as well.

She could be like the non-militaristic Nick Fury/Maria Hill/Etc. Or that guy from Star Trek: TNG that uses sign language and broker peace deal between aliens.

I'd let her have that much leeway too but perhaps allow for her to team with SHIELD when necessary.

You know how in really good Spy flicks there are always the NOC people doing their thing while the Diplomatic team tries to handle stuff on their end. I'd like to see something like that.
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 06-01-2018 at 07:24 AM.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

I voted "No" btw. But only because I really like the diplomatic angle. Otherwise I like her doing something medical related as well. Basically any career path of her own.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.

Spectacular Member

She named her first child after him, it's not that difficult to believe she'd want to be a doctor to follow in his footsteps. I did not read any comic where she wanted to be a spy until it happened and yet here we are.
    susan being a spy is more plausible than being doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by fantastic View Post
    susan being a spy is more plausible than being doctor.
    I think it would have been cool for Sue to be a doctor but unfortunately for her character, she was created at the dawn of the Marvel Age. Women's lib wasn't even a thing yet. There were a few female doctors but when I worked at a hospital some years ago the hierarchy of MDs was always male dominated. When Marvel married her off in FF annual #3 that seemed to lessen her chances for having any profession of her own. To be fair, Johnny's college days were forgotten too once Stan and Jack left the title. But at least he does have his interest in cars that turned into his race car driving.

I think it would have been cool for Sue to be a doctor but unfortunately for her character, she was created at the dawn of the Marvel Age. Women's lib wasn't even a thing yet. There were a few female doctors but when I worked at a hospital some years ago the hierarchy of MDs was always male dominated. When Marvel married her off in FF annual #3 that seemed to lessen her chances for having any profession of her own. To be fair, Johnny's college days were forgotten too once Stan and Jack left the title. But at least he does have his interest in cars that turned into his race car driving.
    How is there not a team up with him and Robbie Reyes?

Two-In-One.... you got some splainin' to do!!!!!!

It could be like the Fast and Furious version of the Flash vs. Superman races.
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 06-01-2018 at 09:15 AM.
    Pull List: